MLB: Most memorable baseball game you've attended?

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
My first Cubs game was pretty memorable. 2003, Monday night in June, Cubs vs Brewers. Cubs hit 6 homers, including Sammy Sosa and Corey Patterson going back to back, Sammy Sosa hitting one over 500 feet that landed on Kenmore, and Kerry Wood, Mark Grundzalanek (sp?) and Alex Gonzalez going back to back to back.

Also saw Greg Maddux's 299th win in Milwaukee, but that game was only memorable for that reason.

Reactions: harimad

psychlone99

Apr 6, 2006
psychlone99.wordpress.com
Most impressive game was a Cactus League Mariners game.
Ichiro legs out a triple, single then steals second, and in about the 5th absolutely gunned down a guy on a cannon of a throw. Coach took him out of the game and he walks off the field to a standing ovation. I had never seen someone play that hard.
Ichiro was an absolute joy to watch play.

Sidebar: I've always wondered why Japanese and Korean players have such distinct swings. It's clearly in the mechanics they teach, but there are aspects of that swing that differ greatly from mechanics learned from t-ball up in the US.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
2014 AL Wild Card game and nothing else is even close for me.

I was at this one too, and it is also far and away number one on my list as well. The atmosphere in the stadium was insane all night and the drama of that game couldn't be topped by a Hollywood script. Best live sports event I've been to in any sport.

• Agree
Reactions: CyGuy5 and Macloney

TakeCover

Mar 26, 2012
Des Moines, IA
2009 AL Central tie-breaker. Had tickets to what was supposed to be the last regular season game at the Metrodome, and when MIN one that one to force #163 against DET, we headed for the ticket office on a whim and got enough for more friends/family to join us 2 days later. Back and forth game with the Twins walking off in 12 on a dribbler through the right side and Carlos Gomez scoring from 2B.

Promptly swept by the Yanks in the Division Series.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
http://www.espn.com/mlb/recap/_/id/230902216

Sep 2, 2003. Cubs beat the Cardinals 4-2 in 15 innings. I remember it for several reasons:

-It was the first game in a day-night double header

-I had just graduated from ISU and my best friends and I went to this game to celebrate

-I had an "advertising company job interview" in the Chicago suburbs a week later for what turned out to be a Ponzi scheme. One of the most miserable days of my life, walking around affluent neighborhoods with a guy pretending to be a D.A.R.E. rep selling coupon books, sending 75% of the sales up the pyramid.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011

Sidebar: I've always wondered why Japanese and Korean players have such distinct swings. It's clearly in the mechanics they teach, but there are aspects of that swing that differ greatly from mechanics learned from t-ball up in the US.
There was a fascinating article I read on the art of bat flipping in Korea. Like it's embraced like crazy over there and players are famous for it.

CloneFan65

Apr 11, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
The first one that comes to mind was Brewers at the Royals in the early eighties. It was 0-0 going into the ninth when I got to see two of the greatest relievers of all time. Quisenberry came in and gave up three runs in the top of the ninth. So Rollie Fingers came in to pitch the bottom of the ninth for the save. He gave up four runs.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
#1: August 22, 1968, Yankees versus the Twins at the old Met. Mantle homered late off of Jim Merritt who pitched a 2-hitter. Mantles last plate appearance in Minnesota. I was a HUGE Mickey fan so it was BIG deal for me. Even had a Cub Scout scrapbook of newspaper clipping from back in the day.

#2: Game 6 and game 7 of the 1991 World Series in the Metrodome. Puckett walk off and then walk off in the 10th again to win it all with Morris going 10. **** yeah!

#3: Some game in the late 1970's at the old Met against the Yankees. Reggie Jackson hit a foul ball behind the third base box seats where we were. Cheap ass stadium, the seats were folding metal chairs. Chairs went tumbling over as this scrum of dudes fought for the ball. Out of the bottom of the scrum rolled the ball. My girlfriend just reached down and picked it up much to the chagrin of the scrum. She was a Yankee fan so that was cool. Still remember the look she gave them and the look she got back from them. Priceless.

Honorable mention: 1985 All-Star game with Nolan Ryan knocking down Dave Winfield. Woof! And that AL lineup (even though they lost) seven Hall of Famers.

1. Rickey Henderson, OF, New York Yankees
2. Lou Whitaker, 2B, Detroit Tigers
3. George Brett, 3B, Kansas City Royals
4. Eddie Murray, 1B, Baltimore Orioles
5. Cal Ripken, Jr., SS, Baltimore Orioles
6. Dave Winfield, OF, New York Yankees
7. Jim Rice, OF, Boston Red Sox
8. Carlton Fisk, C, Chicago White Sox
9. Jack Morris, P, Detroit Tigers

My god, how old are you?

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
I was at this one too, and it is also far and away number one on my list as well. The atmosphere in the stadium was insane all night and the drama of that game couldn't be topped by a Hollywood script. Best live sports event I've been to in any sport.

Yep, I've been to hundreds of pro and college events and I can't put anything close. I had so many emotional highs and lows during that game that I didn't know if I was going to pull through.

We hopped on a plane the next day for Orange County to see the first game of the ALDS and then had to get back for game 3 at the K, it was an epic run.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
1. White Sox beat Orioles on May 15, 1985. Husband proposed before game.
2. Dodgers beat Cubs on August 17, 2003. Ozzie Osbourne completely slaughtered Take Me Out to the Ballgame.

Reactions: CTTB78

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

Discipline and eye hand coordination learned from simple eating utensils. Also bats and chopsticks are both wood. Coincidence? I don't think so. :cool:

chopsticks-o.gif

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Probably 2013 ALCS game in Oakland vs. Detroit. Rookie Sonny Gray pitched 8 shutout innings against some dude named 'Verlander,' and the A's won it in the bottom of the 9th against Detroit's relievers, 1-0, on a bases-loaded hit by Vogt. The stadium was absolutely more and more on edge with each inning. People say 1-0 games are boring. I say otherwise (in some cases). This was a really fun game to see in person.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Remember when the Rangers won the World Series in 2010 & 2011? Me either... but I was at every game in Arlington when they gave it a shot. Those were fun. In fact, my ex-wife and I (she wasn't my ex at the time) were in Visions magazine with our Rangers tshirts and Cyclone baseball hates in front of Ranger Stadium World Series sign during the series against the ******* Giants.

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
The Yankees coming to Wrigley this weekend reminds me of the most memorable baseball game I've attended when the Yankees came to Wrigley for the first time in forever back in 2003. With the excitement around the Cubs that year, the atmosphere was electric. But the pitching matchup put this game over the top: Kerry Wood vs. Roger Clemens, and I believe Clemens was going for a milestone win. My buddy and I (ISU seniors at the time) were offered $1,200 for our pair of tickets. We went through the gates.

It was the pitching dual most expected until the late innings. Our seats were on the 1B side, tucked under the upper deck. I had to crouch slightly to see Karros' go-ahead 3-run homer clear the LF wall. The place went nuts. Remlinger had a key strikeout in the 8th after he relieved Wood, against Giambi, I believe.

What's the most memorable baseball game you've attended?

I attended a Rockies- Giants game in 2010 in Denver with a life long Giants fan that was certain he was cursed when he watched his team play, but he went anyway. In about the 5th inning I commented that the game had the feel of a game that would go extra innings as neither team could get anything going and I wasn't leaving early (Tuesday night).
Sure enough the game is a struggle into the 14th inning when SF breaks it open for 3 runs. In the bottom half of the inning, the Rockies are forced to let a relief pitcher bat (he walked on 4 pitches) and the tying run was a player that injured himself and couldn't "run" (picture Kirk Gibson). Down to the final out, a journeyman OF, Ryan Spillbourghs, hit a walk off Grand Slam to win.

Distant second tie was the Game 4 of the WS and the All-Star Game.

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
I attended a Rockies- Giants game in 2010 in Denver with a life long Giants fan that was certain he was cursed when he watched his team play, but he went anyway. In about the 5th inning I commented that the game had the feel of a game that would go extra innings as neither team could get anything going and I wasn't leaving early (Tuesday night).
Sure enough the game is a struggle into the 14th inning when SF breaks it open for 3 runs. In the bottom half of the inning, the Rockies are forced to let a relief pitcher bat (he walked on 4 pitches) and the tying run was a player that injured himself and couldn't "run" (picture Kirk Gibson). Down to the final out, a journeyman OF, Ryan Spillbourghs, hit a walk off Grand Slam to win.

Distant second tie was the Game 4 of the WS and the All-Star Game.

Third place were all the $.50 beer nights at Quad City RiverBandits games I can't remember.

Reactions: TOFB4ISU

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
My first Opening Day in Cincinnati my senior year of HS. Joe Randa hit a walkoff HR to win the game. We had camped outside the stadium earlier that year to get the tickets in the first place, which added to the memory.

The other one that comes to mind was a game on 8/8/2006 against the Cardinals. Ryan Freel made the best catch I've ever seen live - a full lay-out diving catch running toward the wall robbing Pujols of at least a double. No joke, he got a standing ovation like 5+ times throughout the rest of the game (essentially every time he came to bat or back to his position in the outfield). I'm having trouble finding the video.

TOFB4ISU

Nov 6, 2010
The QC
Cubs scoring 4 in the bottom of the 9th to beat the Pirates 6-5 in July, 1969. I was 11. We know how that ended.

ISU85

Jun 3, 2015
My mom is a huge Cubs fan and I took her to Wrigley a few years ago. She had only been there once before, about 40 years earlier. She drank two beers. TWO!!!!!! I will NEVER forget that.

• Funny
Reactions: SCyclone