Alert: WILLIAMS: CF launches Patreon page, please read

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Can someone explain the reward $?

I went in to make a donation and it said there is a reward amount as well....just want to make sure I'm doing it right.

Bumping this to make sure I don't do something dumb.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Bumping this to make sure I don't do something dumb.
When you set up a Patreon you can add rewards tied to certain levels of donations, special content or early access usually. I'm guessing you have to have at least 1 reward level which is why CW has the "reward" setup for donations of $1+, but it doesn't mean anything since this isn't a pay more for certain perks things.

You just select the reward level of $1+ and then the next screen you choose the amount you want to give each month.

• Informative
Reactions: mj4cy

clone

Co-Owner
May 12, 2008
All I would ask is if there also could be a "button" on the site's task bar people can hit to contribute instantly whenever they are moved to. "Fanatic's Tip Jar" would be a great way to give instant feedback to you guys when we read a great piece or get good content in other areas of the site.

This will be done shortly- Thanks Fanatics!

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
I know that there was trouble a few years ago putting the ISU logo on a nut cup, but couldn't you do it with the CF logo?

Or have a store that includes generic nut cups and logo stickers among other products?

Hey, it's graduation time. Mints and nut cups could really sell!

HogueNation

Nov 15, 2016
I'd just like to be able to listen to an entire podcast without having to refresh the page and then repeatedly drag the mouse to where the podcast magically stopped working.

Honestly, if desktop worked a little better then I think your numbers would go up. You guys are excellent with content, it's just painful to get it.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I find it kind of amusing just not too long ago, many posters here were bashing Hawkeyenation for starting to charge a rate for a more premium experience.

Um there is a big difference between stating fact behind the changing landscape of sports journalism and online advertising, and trying to hide behind the facade of "premium content you won't find elsewhere (you will) and no trollls! (they will still be there, or it will be an overly moderated board)".

Content isn't changing for any audience on CF unlike HN, just new ways to support the site.

Last edited:

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I find it kind of amusing just not too long ago, many posters here were bashing Hawkeyenation for starting to charge a rate for a more premium experience.
Hawkeyenation is charging because they're forum is so full of garbage you have to pay to get a board without trolls. The problem wasn't them asking for money, it was that they said they couldn't police their members so they'll charge their good members a fee for access to a private forum.

CF isn't charging for a "more premium experience", they're just asking for donations to help with the costs of running the forum.

• Informative
Reactions: KezClone

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
Um there is a big difference between stating fact behind the changing landscape of sports journalism and online advertising, and trying to hide behind the facade of "premium content you won't find elsewhere (you will) and no trollls! (they will still be there, or it will be an overly moderated board)".

Content isn't changing for any audience on CF unlike HN, just new ways to support the site.

I'm not saying it's the same, but it's really not all that different. Paying for a better experience on a message board, yes?

I think miller's explanation is pretty hilarious myself, but they are kidding themselves if they aren't feeling the same constraints. But at the end of the day, its paying for a what posters believe is a better experience. So yes, it's kind of a similar.

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I'm not saying it's the same, but it's really not all that different. Paying for a better experience on a message board, yes?

I think miller's explanation is pretty hilarious myself, but they are kidding themselves if they aren't feeling the same constraints. But at the end of the day, its paying for a what posters believe is a better experience. So yes, it's kind of a similar.
It's completely different. One is asking for donations to help cover expenses with no special perks or access given, the other is charging a fee for access to a private board that is intended to be troll-free.

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com

I'd just wait until we roll this out before judging. Have some pretty creative things up my sleeve.

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
I'd just like to be able to listen to an entire podcast without having to refresh the page and then repeatedly drag the mouse to where the podcast magically stopped working.

Honestly, if desktop worked a little better then I think your numbers would go up. You guys are excellent with content, it's just painful to get it.

Can you please PM me with specifics about your browser, machine, etc. We hired out to look into this on Sunday and nobody can find anything wrong. Seems like it MIGHT be a Chrome specific issue but our devs can't find a problem.

ComCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 31, 2016
Can you please PM me with specifics about your browser, machine, etc. We hired out to look into this on Sunday and nobody can find anything wrong. Seems like it MIGHT be a Chrome specific issue but our devs can't find a problem.

When all else fails, just tell them to open in incognito.

I do that for all podcasts now, just out of habit. Not a huge deal. (But that would suggest to me that something cookie-related is messing with the playback).

KezClone

Jun 30, 2006
Roland, IA

In the meantime, you could just use the download link and play it local. Not a fix, but a workaround.