RECRUITING: Players Iowa State is involved with during the spring cycle

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CY88CE11

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 25, 2012
The Des
Kinda agree, yet for the most part, I really don't care what size they are....we need people who can SCORE!! We lost a lot of offense/shooting.

But if we got Beverly and Brase, we would replace some of that scoring with better rebounding. If we get both and no immediate guards, we could possibly even "go big" and play someone like Beverly at the 3, rather than going small.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
I am curious what knee injury he had this past year. It doesn't say in any report. Meniscus tear? MCL? etc. It says the previous season was ACL.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
But if we got Beverly and Brase, we would replace some of that scoring with better rebounding. If we get both and no immediate guards, we could possibly even "go big" and play someone like Beverly at the 3, rather than going small.

I wouldn't mind that line-up.

Wigginton
Jackson
Beverly
Brase/Lard (whoever is better)
Young

EYEoftheSTORM

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2009
Ames, Iowa
I think people need to pump the brakes on writing next season off in April.

What we know is that our lineup will heavily consist of underclassmen. These underclassmen have talent and the ability to become big time players but how big of an impact they have will not be known until the start of the season. We will likely bring in two grad transfers to offset some of the youth. While the team may not be able to score 80 points a game at will like we are used to we will be much deeper in the post with TRUE post players. Donovan Jackson should average 12-16 ppg, Nick Babb should be averaging close to 10 ppg as first man off the bench, and Solo should see his role on offense significantly increased as well. Next years team will look different than what we are used to but it doesn't mean they will be playing bad basketball.

and BTW I think Lard will be a bully in the post by the end of the year.

ComCY

Oct 31, 2016

Heck, even Lewis at the 3 would be "going big" for us. And I think he's gonna be a baller.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I think people need to pump the brakes on writing next season off in April.

What we know is that our lineup will heavily consist of underclassmen. These underclassmen have talent and the ability to become big time players but how big of an impact they have will not be known until the start of the season. We will likely bring in two grad transfers to offset some of the youth. While the team may not be able to score 80 points a game at will like we are used to we will be much deeper in the post with TRUE post players. Donovan Jackson should average 12-16 ppg, Nick Babb should be averaging close to 10 ppg as first man off the bench, and Solo should see his role on offense significantly increased as well. Next years team will look different than what we are used to but it doesn't mean they will be playing bad basketball.

and BTW I think Lard will be a bully in the post by the end of the year.

I agree. While having a lot of upperclassmen is nice and is an advantage, it isn't everything. You can win with freshmen in college basketball, and they're more ready than they used to be with the AAU circuit and camps. Whatever happens, I'm just going to sit back and enjoy watching guys develop, and hope that it comes together quickly in terms of wins and losses.

Cynonymous

Aug 14, 2015
I agree. While having a lot of upperclassmen is nice and is an advantage, it isn't everything. You can win with freshmen in college basketball, and they're more ready than they used to be with the AAU circuit and camps. Whatever happens, I'm just going to sit back and enjoy watching guys develop, and hope that it comes together quickly in terms of wins and losses.

I would add that the struggles Oklahoma and Texas had were largely due to PG play. Texas didn't have one and OU's Woodard was struggling with injuries. While I think Wigginton, Jackson, and whomever else we may have handle the ball will struggle at times especially early in the season, I think our guards have far better skills to play the point than the previously mentioned teams. If we lean on defense like we did last season, and improve offensive rebounding, we can mitigate many of the experience obstacles as the team develops. This would apply even without further additions.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
www.oldschoolradical.com
I would add that the struggles Oklahoma and Texas had were largely due to PG play. Texas didn't have one and OU's Woodard was struggling with injuries. While I think Wigginton, Jackson, and whomever else we may have handle the ball will struggle at times especially early in the season, I think our guards have far better skills to play the point than the previously mentioned teams. If we lean on defense like we did last season, and improve offensive rebounding, we can mitigate many of the experience obstacles as the team develops. This would apply even without further additions.

I agree. We should have three guys capable of running the point from day one (two that have already proven that).

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

allfourcy

Apr 26, 2012
I agree. We should have three guys capable of running the point from day one (two that have already proven that).

Also agree OU and Texas struggled with point guard play. While we have confidence or hopes that we will have 'enough' at that position, none are a Monte Morris. Will be interesting if Donovan and Wigginton can handle pressure defense tho.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
www.oldschoolradical.com
Also agree OU and Texas struggled with point guard play. While we have confidence or hopes that we will have 'enough' at that position, none are a Monte Morris. Will be interesting if Donovan and Wigginton can handle pressure defense tho.

My impression of Donovan is that he will probably turn it over more, but might be more dangerous from a scoring standpoint. Monte made himself into a scorer, and it was an amazing transformation. I think that comes naturally to Donovan. I think that combo may put more pressure on the defense than we were able to put last year (in terms of taking people off the dribble).

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
My impression of Donovan is that he will probably turn it over more, but might be more dangerous from a scoring standpoint. Monte made himself into a scorer, and it was an amazing transformation. I think that comes naturally to Donovan. I think that combo may put more pressure on the defense than we were able to put last year (in terms of taking people off the dribble).
He, pretty much, has to turn the ball over more.

woodm07

Apr 6, 2015
"Interesting quote from Prohm: "I'm very pleased with this class and we'll still add a couple more pieces probably." ISU has 1 scholly left."

• Informative
Reactions: isutrevman

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
"Interesting quote from Prohm: "I'm very pleased with this class and we'll still add a couple more pieces probably." ISU has 1 scholly left."

Very interesting. There's been some rumors over on 247 that Kasongo has been having academic issues...

• Informative
Reactions: Doc