Returning starters this fall according to Phil Steele ...

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Texas 17
TCU 17
OU 16
Baylor 14
K-State 14
Tech 14
Iowa State 12
Ku 12
oSu 12
WVU 8

This suggests to me that the bottom two may be a bit over-ranked going into fall, particularly the Mountaineers. The opposite case exists in Norman. And Herman has a lot to work with following Strong.

• Informative
Reactions: 3GenClone

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Yeah Texas is set up to have a really good year. The WVU number is why I don't get people ranking them in preseason top 25. They will have a big drop off this year.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Yeah Texas is set up to have a really good year. The WVU number is why I don't get people ranking them in preseason top 25. They will have a big drop off this year.
I just listened to your guys' podcast off the football board. They have WVU as the second toughest ISU game. So, the narrative is out there. WVU's Florida transfer QB is suppose to be very good. But they're also losing a lot of meat from last year. And frankly, I find their coach a bit of a loon. He's giving up play calling, perhaps because he recognizes his limitations.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Our number is a bit misleading because of losses along the offensive line; I believe that unit can be better right out of the gate this fall however.

Haven't seen how they count Campos but if they don't count him i would agree that the number should go up by 1.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I just listened to your guys' podcast off the football board. They have WVU as the second toughest ISU game. So, the narrative is out there. WVU's Florida transfer QB is suppose to be very good. But they're also losing a lot of meat from last year. And frankly, I find their coach a bit of a loon. He's giving up play calling, perhaps because he recognizes his limitations.

HOLGOCROTCH.gif

danarage_medium.gif

• Funny
Reactions: JM4CY and surly

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
Texas 17
TCU 17
OU 16
Baylor 14
K-State 14
Tech 14
Iowa State 12
Ku 12
oSu 12
WVU 8

This suggests to me that the bottom two may be a bit over-ranked going into fall, particularly the Mountaineers. The opposite case exists in Norman. And Herman has a lot to work with following Strong.
What were the criteria? Because I could name more than 12 guys who started at least few games for ISU.

Edit: OSU has two grad transfers coming in that will start, also.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
What were the criteria? Because I could name more than 12 guys who started at least few games for ISU.

Edit: OSU has two grad transfers coming in that will start, also.

Well if a guy starts a game or two because of injury I don't think that counts.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
WVU fans were starting to grow weary of Dana until last year's nice little run. Prior to that 7-2 conference season, his record was 4-5, 2-7, 5-4, and 4-5. I don't believe they have a snowball's chance in Gehenna of duplicating 7-2 this year.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: rholtgraves

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Our number is a bit misleading because of losses along the offensive line; I believe that unit can be better right out of the gate this fall however.
We lost a lot in the defensive backfield and line as well, so I would be cautious about being too optimistic. The new blood will have to show up and play for us. We return our offensive skill positions, and are really taking the opinion that the new guys will be better than the old to make our case for a better year. All I can say is we better beat UNI.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
We lost a lot in the defensive backfield and line as well, so I would be cautious about being too optimistic. The new blood will have to show up and play for us. We return our offensive skill positions, and are really taking the opinion that the new guys will be better than the old to make our case for a better year. All I can say is we better beat UNI.
Much less concerned about the defensive backs than the lines.

• Agree
Reactions: CYCLNST8