Alert: WILLIAMS: CF launches Patreon page, please read

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
Not a bad idea, another would be you could give things like that as an incentive to donate. For example say you give x amount of $$$ each month you get a koozie, and so on and so forth.

Yeah we have actually done this twice. It blew up in our face both times. Probably some things we could have done better but it'd be tough for me to get the owners to sign off on trying that again.

Rossmt

Sep 8, 2016
I joined yesterday and it's money well spent. Like many here I fully fit the description of Fanatic, as I'm reminded each season by the the glazed look on family members' faces when I go into detail on coaching strategies and recruit/depth chart details. I was just thinking that Patreon Tier/groups would be a cool idea to use as an indicator of what the most Fanatic of Fanatics would like to see most.

I for one would love a "Woody all the things!" option. I was a huge fan of his CFTV live guest segment this last year that I find myself wanting to hear his input in the off-season on recruiting and possibly breaking down more of the larger offensive and defensive concepts that Campbell is installing in Ames. He may not be interested in doing more, but as a fan I think he adds a lot to an already awesome team that you guys have. If I'm being perfectly honest with myself the tier/group idea is just an excuse to say that I wish Jeff could contribute more.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Preferably bluetooth enabled so when something (inevitably) bad happens to the clones, you instantly get a shock to the nuts wherever you are! Then you can stumble out of that boring sales meeting to check CF on what went wrong now.
Might not be effective for ALL CF'ers... :D

JStanz51

Sep 24, 2013
Ames, IA
When I started getting into sports journalism a former WSJ beat writer for the NY mets and later Yankees told me the day you start working as a sports journalist is the day you stop being a sports fan.

While I wouldn't go to that extreme because I liked writing about ISU and still consider myself an ISU fan above everything else. The only issue is the pressure from your editors and producers to remove yourself from the team (in my case ISU). I love writing about ISU and following them but I struggle writing the hard stories when ISU may be struggling or going through rough patches.

I find myself more inclined to want to work covering the national stories and teams outside of my fandom because I find it easier to be objective.

I follow sports exponentially different than I did five years ago. It isn't that I can't be a fan, but it is a lot harder for me to get worked up over sporting events now. Unless I've had a few Busch Lights.

• Agree
Reactions: NetflixAndClone

Kagavi

Mar 4, 2013
California
www.kagavi.com
Speaking from hard-earned experience ...

I have gotten a lot of responses like this. Through Patreon, no. But CF does have a PayPal account. I will provide that info in the coming days as an option. The reason we didn't go with PayPal initially is because Patreon is specifically built for sites like these. Patreon takes 5 percent of donations, compared to 10-12 via PayPal.

Patreon takes 5 percent. Half of what PayPal takes. By far our best option.

PayPal is notorious for freezing extremely large amounts of money for long periods of time and providing nonexistent customer service. Payment processors like Square or Stripe are infinitely better than PayPal.

Patreon was a great, overdue move for the CF team in the meantime.

I believe it was tried at one time, but I don't think it worked as well as what they wanted. IE people didn't buy enough to make it worth it.

I don't know the details of CF's attempts in this area, but there are ways to run a shop with no overhead and nearly no risk. Some high-end boutique brands use drop shippers for their sites, meaning they don't have to handle any merchandise or logistics. The product is only made WHEN an order is placed. Generally, the most labor needed is cashing the checks every month.

The tradeoff is pretty simple: instead of making 66% profit on a shirt and carrying inventory, just accept 30% profit and let someone else worry.

• Informative
Reactions: JBone84 and Cycsk

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Can someone explain the reward $?

I went in to make a donation and it said there is a reward amount as well....just want to make sure I'm doing it right.

RotatingColumn

Oct 21, 2008
I publish a newspaper, website, and radio show. I feel your pain and don't blame you one bit for trying something new.

I urge all fanatics to utilize the local sponsors on this site when/if the opportunity arises, and tell them why you came. Obtaining advertisers is up to the staff, retaining them is based on the ROI, which is you.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Has Cyclonefantic ever had a "shop" on the website ? Selling koozies or shirts etc.

I know that there was trouble a few years ago putting the ISU logo on a nut cup, but couldn't you do it with the CF logo?

Or have a store that includes generic nut cups and logo stickers among other products?

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
We may need another push closer to football season when the site traffic is higher. I have to think right now is one of the lowest times of the year for site traffic.