Doesn't look like Ku has much interest in ...

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
I don't believe Kansas has been destroyed. But I understand the liberal narrative must persist for ideological validation.

Back on subject, it would be a shame for Ku to replace Memorial Stadium. They should do what Cal did with theirs, ND, Michigan. All those great buildings can be renovated and inspire us for ages to come. Ku will do that at some point. They're between chancellors presently. The new person will surely move forward.

b7025b36-9e39-4144-bcfe-ae669e83f656.jpg

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
It's funny tuco will inject KU into many discussions, but doesn't comment in threads actually about Kansas.

• Agree
Reactions: ImJustKCClone

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Ku, unlike most other conference members, excels financially because of hoops not football. It's hard to prove the point because Ku financials mask individual team operating results.

But I know for a fact that prime seats in AFH cost $20,000 or more a pop, while Memorial's football attendance stands at around 50% of capacity. And I suspect many of those seat purchases are required to even sniff a spot in the fieldhouse.
This masking effect is easy to do by allocating 'contributions.'

Ku reports $12 million to run MBB and $14 million for football. Those numbers are valid.

Last edited:

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
It's funny tuco will inject KU into many discussions, but doesn't comment in threads actually about Kansas.
KU had to replace their terrible softball and soccer facilities first, which led to building the beautiful Rock Chalk Park. Then they did basketball stuff. And now they have to raise money for the football stadium, which will be a slow fundraising process. Not complicated. The state has no money to pitch in since the governor is a bleeping moron so it will all have to be paid for by donors.

Last edited:

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Ku, unlike most other conference members, excels financially because of hoops not football. It's hard to prove the point because Ku financials mask individual team operating results.

But I know for a fact that prime seats in AFH cost $20,000 or more a pop, while Memorial's football attendance stands at around 50% of capacity. And I suspect many of those seat purchases are required to even sniff a spot in the fieldhouse.
This masking effect is easy to do by allocating 'contributions.'

Ku reports $12 million to run MBB and $14 million for football. Those numbers are valid.
What you described as "fact" is completely inaccurate.
Tier 1 seats at KU are $1,600 for the season regardless of where they are in Tier 1. Those with the most points in their Williams Education Fund pick first and then down the list they go. The more you donate, the earlier you pick.

There is Premium Seating courtside which is handled via a separate wait list. Same $1,600 per ticket cost with a minimum $9,500/seat donation to be put on the wait list. Section U seating behind KU bench similar but a $1,000 per seat donation minimum to be wait listed. The higher the donation, the higher you get on the wait list obviously.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Tier 1 seats at KU are $1,600 for the season regardless of where they are in Tier 1.
The Williams Fund contribution is a requirement to buy the seat, just as an Ahearn is required for me to buy my seat. Stop the nonsense. I am friends with people who were kicked out of theirs after holding the seats for decades. Thanks Lew Perkins.

And RC Park was financed mostly by the city and a private party, not Ku. Ku is little more than a renter for the next half century.

The city will own the 26 acres, the recreation center building, the eight outdoor tennis courts, and the 800 rec center parking spaces. The city will pay $780,000—$30,000 an acre—to the KU Endowment entity to purchase the land the recreation center will occupy.

An entity controlled by the Kansas University Endowment Association — RCP LLC — will own the ground the KU facilities are built upon. An entity controlled by Lawrence businessman Thomas Fritzel and his wife, Dru, — known as Bliss Sports LLC — will own the actual KU facilities for the first 50 years. During that time, Kansas University Athletics will lease the facilities from Bliss and have full use of them. At the end of the 50-year period, ownership will revert to a KU entity

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2013/feb/17/recreation-center-and-rock-chalk-park-q/

Last edited:

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I don't think they can just knock down the stadium...pretty sure its a historic landmark and thus that would be prevented...but unsure. They really need to embrace that.

Take down the extra stands that extended the main bleachers up on both sides.
Move the field back into the horseshoe.
Create a new modern press box which design falls along with the historic facade of the stadium.

Either way, Kansas is putting all money on basketball carrying them to a new conference should the Big 12 cease. However, Football pays the bills, and any conferences interested will note the total lack of football support from the school.

The sad thing is that they don't need to invest. MBB is what is going to keep them in the major leagues. They can go 2-10/3-9 for the next 20 years and still be safe. Guessing the B1G would love to have them, as it's an easy FB win and a MBB blue blood.

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
The sad thing is that they don't need to invest. MBB is what is going to keep them in the major leagues. They can go 2-10/3-9 for the next 20 years and still be safe. Guessing the B1G would love to have them, as it's an easy FB win and a MBB blue blood.

Will it? UCONN says Hi.

• Winner
Reactions: surly

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
No, they do need to invest in their football program and they have started to. Already nicely upgraded the more immediate items of the locker rooms, the practice facility and some better assistant coaches and are seeing immediate results in landing better recruits.

They need to burn Memorial Stadium to the ground and build a better stadium but they just don't have the money.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
The Williams Fund contribution is a requirement to buy the seat, just as an Ahearn is required for me to buy my seat. Stop the nonsense. I am friends with people who were kicked out of theirs after holding the seats for decades. Thanks Lew Perkins.

And RC Park was financed mostly by the city and a private party, not Ku. Ku is little more than a renter for the next half century.

The city will own the 26 acres, the recreation center building, the eight outdoor tennis courts, and the 800 rec center parking spaces. The city will pay $780,000—$30,000 an acre—to the KU Endowment entity to purchase the land the recreation center will occupy.

An entity controlled by the Kansas University Endowment Association — RCP LLC — will own the ground the KU facilities are built upon. An entity controlled by Lawrence businessman Thomas Fritzel and his wife, Dru, — known as Bliss Sports LLC — will own the actual KU facilities for the first 50 years. During that time, Kansas University Athletics will lease the facilities from Bliss and have full use of them. At the end of the 50-year period, ownership will revert to a KU entity

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2013/feb/17/recreation-center-and-rock-chalk-park-q/
As I mentioned before, the more you donate to the Education Fund, the earlier you pick. I believe there is a relatively new change that there is a certain donation level FAR above mine where you are granted the opportunity to keep your same seats year to year.

We only donate a few thousand dollars a year for our three tickets up near the rafters in the corner (any tickets we can't use we sell and put the money towards the next seasons donation). It's a pricey hobby but a fun family legacy we will continue at least for the foreseeable future.

If I lived closer than a 4 hour drive from Lawrence, I would go to some football games but I don't. Maybe if they play a Saturday evening game this year I could make it.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
If I lived closer than a 4 hour drive from Lawrence, I would go to some football games but I don't. Maybe if they play a Saturday evening game this year I could make it.
Meh. I live about 4 hours from Ames and I make it to more home FB games than I miss. But I don't usually make many BB games. I guess it is just about priorities.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Meh. I live about 4 hours from Ames and I make it to more home FB games than I miss. But I don't usually make many BB games. I guess it is just about priorities.
Agreed. College football just doesn't move the needle for me at all. I find Saturday mornings in September to be a great time to run errands in Nebraska as there is no one out. They are all watching the Huskers play, which means I don't have to wait in any lines at the store. If there is a great match up on I might run it on in the background while I am doing something else. I doubt if I sit and watch more than 4-5 college football games from beginning to end all year.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Agreed. College football just doesn't move the needle for me at all. I find Saturday mornings in September to be a great time to run errands in Nebraska as there is no one out. They are all watching the Huskers play, which means I don't have to wait in any lines at the store. If there is a great match up on I might run it on in the background while I am doing something else. I doubt if I sit and watch more than 4-5 college football games from beginning to end all year.
True when Todd was QB'ing Ku - you still didn't watch or care?

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
Probably one of the many KU bball fans that root for huskers in fall

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
True when Todd was QB'ing Ku - you still didn't watch or care?
I did not watch a single regular season game played by KU that season. Sorry to burst your theory. I did watch them win the Orange Bowl on TV, though.

In my book, I generally cheer for success by the football team because it put more money in the till for basketball. Why is it so hard for people to understand not being a big college football fan? It's just not a very high quality product. If I am going to give up a few precious hours of my weekend, it will be to watch an NFL game.

Help Support Us

Become a patron