**** Official NFL Draft 2017 Thread ****

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
There definitely was. Go back and read about it. Hot takes all over the place. Even had a big thread on it here on CF.
There's no need to spin anything. It didn't affect them at all. The league didn't care. More players are likely to do the same thing, now. They proved that a meaningless exhibition game is exactly that. The Ncaa would have them believe that skipping would be detrimental to their careers. That notion got exposed as bunk tonight. It's a great thing.

It's about the farthest from a great thing as you can get.

The league didn't care?

Shocking.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
It's about the farthest from a great thing as you can get.

The league didn't care?

Shocking.

A giant corrupt cartel gets exposed as a paper tiger? Yeah, that's pretty great.

The NCAA wants these kids to believe that they have to jump through their hoops if they want to have a shot at the NFL. And they still have a monopoly on the path to the league. But the grip is not quite as tight as it was yesterday. Yeah, pretty great indeed.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
A giant corrupt cartel gets exposed as a paper tiger? Yeah, that's pretty great.

The NCAA wants these kids to believe that they have to jump through their hoops if they want to have a shot at the NFL. And they still have a monopoly on the path to the league. But the grip is not quite as tight as it was yesterday. Yeah, pretty great indeed.

NFL teams privately working out prospects might be a thing of the past now, too. McCaffrey declined all private workout requests prior to the draft, and rightfully so. What did he have to gain? He already had plenty of game tape and his combine workout. And it didn't hurt his stock a bit.

• Agree
Reactions: cyzygy11

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
The Browns catch a lot of ****, but I thought they nailed the first round last night. No point in taking a QB if they weren't 100% sold on any of the prospects. Build the roster out, keep acquiring picks, and when they identify their guy at QB then flip those assets and go get him.

Desiigner

Jul 6, 2016
I thought it was too high for him. Speed is great and all, but I seriously doubt he's going to be able to stay healthy.
Yeah it was probably too high but it just adds another weapon to their offense. I didn't know he has health issues. Hopefully he can overcome that, he's an incredible athlete.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
So you are of the opinion that college football players that are guaranteed first round draft picks shouldn't be looking out for number 1 because it's bad for the NCAA?

Are you kidding me? The NCAA freaking invented looking out for number 1. EVERYTHING the NCAA does is about generating one more dollar for their "nonprofit" organization. And you expect me to feel bad that the NCAA is getting shafted because the players dare be selfish by looking out for number 1? Like I said, it sucks for the school and its fans, but don't pretend the NCAA is some kind of victim in this.

Maybe re-read my post, didn't say anything about the NCAA.

Yeah, skipping the bowl in some cases could be the best option for an individual player. I'm not disputing that.

I'm saying that the best players skipping games is NOT GREAT in any way for the fans, the schools, or college football in general (again, don't care about the NCAA).

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006

Yeah, skipping the bowl in some cases could be the best option for an individual player. I'm not disputing that.

I'm saying that the best players skipping games is NOT GREAT in any way for the fans, the schools, or college football in general (again, don't care about the NCAA).
It's a net "meh" for them, at worst. The teams still play. The schools still make their money. The college football machine keeps chugging along.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI

That's the problem: college football = NCAA. If you care about the state of college football, you care about the NCAA. You cannot divorce one from the other - unless you're a big fan of the NAIA or JUCO system, but I really doubt that's what you're referring to.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
That's the problem: college football = NCAA. If you care about the state of college football, you care about the NCAA. You cannot divorce one from the other - unless you're a big fan of the NAIA or JUCO system, but I really doubt that's what you're referring to.

My goodness, ok. Forget my concerns about it not being great for the sport of college football then. It's not great for the fans or the schools.

Basically it is what it is, I'm just disagreeing with the assertion that it's great. Great for the individual super talented athletes - yes. Great for fans/schools - not at all.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
My goodness, ok. Forget my concerns about it not being great for the sport of college football then. It's not great for the fans or the schools.

Basically it is what it is, I'm just disagreeing with the assertion that it's great. Great for the individual super talented athletes - yes. Great for fans/schools - not at all.
Man those Stanford and LSU fans sure had it rough, suffering through wins of their respective bowl games. Oh woe and lament. If only Fournette and McCaffery would have played... maybe they would have won by more.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
The Browns catch a lot of ****, but I thought they nailed the first round last night. No point in taking a QB if they weren't 100% sold on any of the prospects. Build the roster out, keep acquiring picks, and when they identify their guy at QB then flip those assets and go get him.

I liked two of their picks but don't like the Peppers pick.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009

Don't think it affects college football unless kids start holding out of the playoffs but i don't think you will see that happen. Bowls are pretty pointless.

• Agree

michaelrr1

Mar 30, 2006
WDM
Visit site

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
Man those Stanford and LSU fans sure had it rough, suffering through wins of their respective bowl games. Oh woe and lament. If only Fournette and McCaffery would have played... maybe they would have won by more.

It affects more than just fans of those schools, though. Generally, college football fans prefer to watch the best players in the country play whenever possible. Unless you're suggesting only fans of each specific school watch their bowl games?

Don't think it affects college football unless kids start holding out of the playoffs but i don't think you will see that happen. Bowls are pretty pointless.

I'm not saying it's some huge effect, but it doesn't make it better. Most bowls are already pointless, you're right. Taking away the best players from them would only make them more pointless. How is that a great thing?

Again, not a big deal. The studs can do what they want. But it's not great.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
It affects more than just fans of those schools, though. Generally, college football fans prefer to watch the best players in the country play whenever possible. Unless you're suggesting only fans of each specific school watch their bowl games?

I'm not saying it's some huge effect, but it doesn't make it better. Most bowls are already pointless, you're right. Taking away the best players from them would only make them more pointless. How is that a great thing?

Again, not a big deal. The studs can do what they want. But it's not great.
I would say yes, it is mostly just fans of the schools that watch the bowl games. Except maybe for a couple like the Rose Bowl but with the playoffs the significance of bowls will keep dropping more than they have already.

I just don't really care about bowls even though I am a college football fan. So a couple guys sitting out really doesn't affect me much and it is kind of cool to get to see who may replace them the following year.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
I would say yes, it is mostly just fans of the schools that watch the bowl games. Except maybe for a couple like the Rose Bowl but with the playoffs the significance of bowls will keep dropping more than they have already.

I just don't really care about bowls even though I am a college football fan. So a couple guys sitting out really doesn't affect me much and it is kind of cool to get to see who may replace them the following year.

Agree to disagree I guess.

Football is on during bowl season almost daily for like 3 straight weeks. I'm not saying I'm invested in the outcomes, but I watch at least part of a game or 2 most of those days (as do most college football fans I know). At least for me, I enjoy watching a stud athlete put on a show (McCaffery vs Iowa) to seeing who might replace him the next season.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I liked two of their picks but don't like the Peppers pick.

Yeah, Peppers is kind of a wild card. He's not a traditional position player, but I think he could be a very good player for a team that gets creative in how they and where they line him up. And if there's a team in the league that can afford to take a risk on an elite athlete with an undefined role, it's the Browns.

• Agree

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron