All About Cameron Lard

cychase_

Mar 27, 2017
Ames
I don't want to look too far ahead but potentially a lineup: (Obviously in like 2019-2020)
Wigginton
McNeil
Lewis
Lard
Young

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006

My favorite thing about these highlights is who he is playing against. Both of those games were against Advanced Prep. Their starting lineup was Trevon Duval (5-star), Terrence Ferguson (5-star), Mark Vital (4-star who redshirted last year at Baylor), Billy Preston (5-star) and a 6-11 big man who was a freshman last year at Cincinnati.

Lard is a little bit raw offensively. He plays with a lot of emotion. That is both good and bad. He's not afraid to get in people's faces or stare them down. (From the 2-3 Lard replays I watched.) My hope is that Lard averages around 6 and 5 this year.

Excited to see him play in the CCL. Yes, I'll have highlights of every player again.

What I like is he keeps the ball above his head in close unlike many bigs who bring it down before laying it up which can lead to steals from shorter guys. He's known for his energy and hustle end-to-end who, along with Young, will give us two hard-working bigs. If both show a decent outside shot, we are going to have a surprisingly good season.

Cyke

Jun 22, 2011
Des Moines, IA
What I like is he keeps the ball above his head in close unlike many bigs who bring it down before laying it up which can lead to steals from shorter guys. He's known for his energy and hustle end-to-end who, along with Young, will give us two hard-working bigs. If both show a decent outside shot, we are going to have a surprisingly good season.
I was just going to post the same thing about keeping the ball high after watching those highlights. I know a couple players on our team this past season that could have learned from that.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I would love to see Young keep working on his shot in the offseason and then he and Lard start along side each other with Young at the 4.

Granted it was a limited sample size but I thought Young showed really nice touch with his mid range shot last year. I expect him to put some good weight on in the off-season, which should help with his ability to finish inside.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Granted it was a limited sample size but I thought Young showed really nice touch with his mid range shot last year. I expect him to put some good weight on in the off-season, which should help with his ability to finish inside.

Agree on his shot. I don't think his weight or lack thereof prevented him from finishing inside at all. Guy is built pretty well.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006

and he was already strong. I love it when Dixon was asked what was the difference between the first time they played ISU and without hesitation, he said Young. Said Young was very physical with his guys, bumped them out of the lane.

• Agree
Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
and he was already strong. I love it when Dixon was asked what was the difference between the first time they played ISU and without hesitation, he said Young. Said Young was very physical with his guys, bumped them out of the lane.

Yeah, he's already a strong dude but with his frame he still has room to bulk up.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Agree on his shot. I don't think his weight or lack thereof prevented him from finishing inside at all. Guy is built pretty well.
It looked good in the limited attempts that we saw in games and he always made a good number in warmups. Certainly enough that one would think he's capable. But when Prohm mentions his outside shooting in an interview question about next year, it's hard not to get excited for it to be a structural component to our offense. A 6'8" guy that can muscle down low and also space out to the 3P line is a great building block.

I don't know if he's yet crafty or very developed on the block, but it wasn't size that prevented finishing. Actually, I thought he finished well and has good touch. He may not yet be able to create a look, but we also didn't look for him much. I guess if he adds even more good mass if nothing else he'd be able to bull his way to being a lowpost scorer.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Fair point, I didn't know it was that high. It just seemed like some of his inside shots were rushed.
Few forwards are immune to fans over-weighting the misses.
Then again, given the types of shots Young was attempting, I could see some being closer to 70%. He was good, but I'm optimistic he can become elite (for CBB).

cyclone101

Oct 19, 2009
Dez Moinz

My favorite thing about these highlights is who he is playing against. Both of those games were against Advanced Prep. Their starting lineup was Trevon Duval (5-star), Terrence Ferguson (5-star), Mark Vital (4-star who redshirted last year at Baylor), Billy Preston (5-star) and a 6-11 big man who was a freshman last year at Cincinnati.

Lard is a little bit raw offensively. He plays with a lot of emotion. That is both good and bad. He's not afraid to get in people's faces or stare them down. (From the 2-3 Lard replays I watched.) My hope is that Lard averages around 6 and 5 this year.

Excited to see him play in the CCL. Yes, I'll have highlights of every player again.

To be honest I haven't been too high on Lard up to this point. What little video there was of him didn't really leave me too impressed. However, these highlights are much better and I feel a lot better about our big man situation after seeing this. Looks solid.

Reactions: CYCLNST8

RotatingColumn

Oct 21, 2008
Here's an interesting factoid:

Lard sold his soul to the devil for his thunder dunk and unparalleled steeling ability. Shortly after the transaction was finalized, Lard dunked in the devil's face and stole his soul back. The devil, who appreciates irony, couldn't stay mad and admitted he should have seen it coming.

So there's that.

CycloneBBFan

Dec 21, 2015
Lard was a 4 star at one point.

According to a couple of Louisiana sports writers I talked to last summer they believe Lard would have been a top 100 solid 5 if he had not attended three different schools in two years. I personally believe we stole a diamond in the ruff. Kudos to Prohm for staying with him.

Reactions: Cycsk

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006

He was also the biggest difference in our win at KU. Kept their bigs from dominating the paint as they did in Ames.

• Agree
Reactions: GTO

Help Support Us

Become a patron