Hockey in central Iowa

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
I played youth hockey in Des Moines back in 89-91 and it wasn't too popular back then. I remember a lot of roller leagues that stared around the mid-90s, which I'm sure had to do with this:

It's been shocking to see how popular the sport has become over the past 20 years, with the amount of HS teams and even girls leagues, but it still has a long way to go.

Reactions: ghettocowboy4cy

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I play Summer D League. Its's a great time! There is also a few facebook pages that may be of interest to you if you want to get ice time before hand.

I may sign up for summer as well. You should post the info here for anyone else that may be interested! Is summer D League pretty chill? I don't have a hockey background besides playing intramurals at ISU. I played some roller hockey with buddies as well when they had that rink outside of towers.

ghettocowboy4cy

Oct 27, 2013
I may sign up for summer as well. You should post the info here for anyone else that may be interested! Is summer D League pretty chill? I don't have a hockey background besides playing intramurals at ISU. I played some roller hockey with buddies as well when they had that rink outside of towers.

Summer D league is closed for this seaseon( Filled up in 3 hours). There is a Des Moines Beginner scrimmages page as well as Ames beginner Hockey Facebook pages.

ghettocowboy4cy

Oct 27, 2013
I'm obviously not going to name names on here but check those pages out and people can help get you pointed in the right direction!

StormnClone58

Jan 24, 2008
West Des Moines
I'd definately say its growing. My daughter (5) has a friend in school who plays and begged us to let her try it. Are currently in the process of 'learning hockey' so she can play in the coming fall.

Also a big help that USA hockey has been putting on events through local programs/leagues with free clinics to 'try hockey'.

• Agree

ghettocowboy4cy

Oct 27, 2013
I'd definately say its growing. My daughter (5) has a friend in school who plays and begged us to let her try it. Are currently in the process of 'learning hockey' so she can play in the coming fall.

Also a big help that USA hockey has been putting on events through local programs/leagues with free clinics to 'try hockey'.

I started when I was an adult and it can be very overwhelming but I was lucky enough to get hooked up with beginner stuff.

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009
I'm looking to get into the D League this winter probably. Others should join!

http://www.dmaha.org/page/show/2753224-novice

It's an absolute blast. They even have a podcast and broadcast some games on youtube. I'll leave a link to give you an idea of the level of play. I wouldn't call it beginner because I guess the former beginners have now been playing for years. Don't let that scare you though because the true beginners (sounds like that doesn't fit you) improve so much as the year goes on and have a great time anyway.

I've heard they are thinking about splitting up the D league into an actual novice league and those not quite ready for C league. The problem seems to be finding ice time because the league is growing beyond Des Moines' arena capacity.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCALiNu6nRMutwnxH1n1RpBg

ghettocowboy4cy

Oct 27, 2013
It's an absolute blast. They even have a podcast and broadcast some games on youtube. I'll leave a link to give you an idea of the level of play. I wouldn't call it beginner because I guess the former beginners have now been playing for years. Don't let that scare you though because the true beginners (sounds like that doesn't fit you) improve so much as the year goes on and have a great time anyway.

I've heard they are thinking about splitting up the D league into an actual novice league and those not quite ready for C league. The problem seems to be finding ice time because the league is growing beyond Des Moines' arena capacity.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCALiNu6nRMutwnxH1n1RpBg

The split won't happen this year per my "sources".

ghettocowboy4cy

Oct 27, 2013
I've also heard of another league in DSM that starts with a J its like a C league level. Also talks of forming another D'ish league in Ames.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines

Is there a class or what program is she doing? I was going to take my 4 year old daughter (she turns 5 in June) for the "Try Hockey" day at Metro Ice, but had a conflict come up. I'd be really interested to hear in what you guys are doing.

StormnClone58

Jan 24, 2008
West Des Moines
Is there a class or what program is she doing? I was going to take my 4 year old daughter (she turns 5 in June) for the "Try Hockey" day at Metro Ice, but had a conflict come up. I'd be really interested to hear in what you guys are doing.

PM was sent, anyone else is welcomed to contact me should they have questions.

• Winner
Reactions: 3GenClone

ghettocowboy4cy

Oct 27, 2013
Did you hear anything about why? I wonder if it has to do with it being such a close knit league and not wanting to split it up.

Politics and to your point ice time. Also not having enough interest in hockey for a true novice league just yet. It's up to us to get out there and get hockey more exposure! It can be played year round.

Reactions: skibumspe

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
DSM area is woefully ill equipped for growing interest in hockey. Our two facilities are in piss poor shape compared to the surrounding metros. Rumor is there's a new facility in the works in West Des Moines just west of Jordan Creek mall.

ghettocowboy4cy

Oct 27, 2013
Did you hear anything about why? I wonder if it has to do with it being such a close knit league and not wanting to split it up.

There is an adult league in Ames But it's a joke. I'm hoping to get to the point where I and a couple of others can set one up that actually utilizes social media.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron