Friday OT #1 - Room-Clearing Songs

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Thank you so much to @cyclones500 for this one - even with the Friday 5, he still comes up with good ideas!

What are songs that you can tolerate/like, but that most other people seem to despise? Or, let's say you were throwing a party and wanted everyone out or to annoy everyone, what song would you play that you wouldn't find bothersome, but they would?

• Friendly
Reactions: cyclones500

cycart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2012
Johnston, IA
Back in College my friends and I would play Creed quite a bit at Es Tas which definitely garnered some annoyed looks. Also, if we were having a party and it was winding down we would play "Closing Time' which is pretty cliche or some metal music... Ahhh good times

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Japanese Punk or 2-Tone

I picked out "I Have Nothing" by Whitney Houston on the digital juke box as a joke back in the day, but my wife and I found ourselves playing it every time we went back to that bar. I don't know how the other patrons took it, but that song is awesome:

Last edited:

zarnold56

Aug 9, 2009
Insane Clown Posse, I thought it was pretty funny as a 16 year old. Now if my group of friends are at the bar, sometimes we will throw it on the touch tunes and see the reactions of people in the bar.

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
My roommate in college met his now wife at a party in a bar shortly after he put $20 in the jukebox (2000 version of) and put "Kung Fu Fighting" on repeat. His motivation to do this was fueled by bourbon, and not love for the song.

True story.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
A few of mine. As Angie stated in the premise, it’s songs I like to some extent, but a typical listener would be annoyed. (If anyone wants a “Clear the Room” Spotify list, I’m your source!)

I have yet to meet anyone (other than me) who can tolerate this:

Next: If you want a wake-up alarm song impossible to sleep through, here's a recommendation:

VU runners-up: European Son; Sister Ray; White Light/White Heat; The Gift.

***WARNING for next song: Explicit in many ways. Possibly not suitable for anyone***)

• Friendly
Reactions: Angie