Another Funding Cut

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cyclone87

Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
I also wonder how the proposed federal budget cuts will affect research funding. It could be a very difficult time for the new ISU president.

Yep, last year ISU received the largest amount of research funding ever. I would think that might drop off quite a bit. As I don't think R&D will be a big priority of the current administration. Could be a double whammy for ISU.

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World
No offense intended, but according to national statistics the average starting salary for new graduates is about $50k. With engineers over $60 and education around $35.

I said DM area. You, know, that area close to ISU's campus that has repeatedly been ranked in the top 5 places for young professionals, to raise a family, etc. over the past few years.

Seeing as we want to keep graduates in state, I don't really care how much the national average is because the national average cost of living is a lot higher than it is in DM. I would hope that in places with significantly higher cost of living would have higher starting wages. That also has no bearing on the statistics that I stated about DM.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
I am from MN and did not get any of these scholarships. My five years was about 125k total w room/board. I will not to donate to Iowa State because I lived here 12 months/year during school (so 60 straight months as a "non-resident"), paid income taxes here, got a driver's license here, voted here, worked here, yet somehow wasn't a resident? I bought a house here like 6 months after I graduated and built my family in this state but you're telling me I wasn't a resident. Somehow the minute I got my diploma from ISU I suddenly became a resident? Please.

I think you did it wrong then. Almost everyone I know from Minnesota that went to Iowa State had scholarships that made it cheaper than going to the U of M.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Son has a friend who recently graduated basically with some degree for her dream job for working as staff at some youth camp. He thought she was nuts with loans she took out for that job, but even that job started her at $30,000.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I think that international students are not technically "the same" as out-of-state, so they play by different rules. According to the tuition site, international undergrad tuition costs about $4,000 more per year than out-of-state.

Some say it's stereotypical, but at the same time, this is very frequently observable: Foreign Asian students are often from very, very wealthy families in their home countries. Those students either didn't want to go or couldn't get into universities where they're from, so they pay to come over to U.S. ones instead. (I'm not making this up.)

We also do really well with OOS kids. Example, ISU pulls in a lot of kids from Illinois, because in-state tuition costs the same or even more there than OOS + scholarships does here. Meaning, tuition in Illinois is f***ing unbelievably outrageous. I shared my job with 2 IL kids that explained all of this in great detail to me. I worked with another from MN who was able to establish residency here to help his situation make financial sense.

there is definitely no OOS reciprocity that I came across but there were academic scholarships available that made going to ISU competitive with what IL in-state would have cost me. Plus the program I wanted was more renowned.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I am from MN and did not get any of these scholarships. My five years was about 125k total w room/board. I will not to donate to Iowa State because I lived here 12 months/year during school (so 60 straight months as a "non-resident"), paid income taxes here, got a driver's license here, voted here, worked here, yet somehow wasn't a resident? I bought a house here like 6 months after I graduated and built my family in this state but you're telling me I wasn't a resident. Somehow the minute I got my diploma from ISU I suddenly became a resident? Please.

when I looked at establishing residency, you had to live in the state for a year without simultaneously attending college.

• Agree
Reactions: ISUguy

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World
My source is the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Yours is a buddy who works in staffing. No offense intended, but I have a hard time believing an anecdote when the lowest paid BS degree, teaching, starts out higher than what you've quoted. Education is always on the bottom of the income list yet it's much higher than your quoted wage. How is this possible? Do you have any chamber of commerce data? Or DSM Economic Development data, etc? We could do a quick poll on CF for new grads in the DSM area and their starting salary would be over $30k.

This isn't a personal argument about you, it's trying to find hard, quantifiable data to back up the numbers.

Year after year, even with tuition increases, college grads overwhelmingly make more money than non-grads.

What about all the liberal arts majors? Or history majors? Or sociology, women's studies, art, fashion, etc.? Where do they fall on the income list since none of them fall into a particular job field? Or those students that get a degree and cant find a job?

I'm sure if you look hard enough, you will be able to find the info. I don't have any specific links, but I trust the person I got the info from.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I also wonder how the proposed federal budget cuts will affect research funding. It could be a very difficult time for the new ISU president.

I didn't mention this in the Leath threads because it's a bit cavey, but this one is more appropriate, I think. Wasn't a big fan of Leath but he at least seemed to be on good terms with state political leaders. I sincerely hope the new President is able to maintain that relationship because it isn't pretty when the state government decides to show outright hostility toward their higher education institutions.

I dislike the vocationalization of universities that many state governments are pushing. University should not be purely about turning out workers for corporations. They are not tech schools. It should be about turning out well-rounded citizens for the community as well. The hate on anything that's not STEM or a direct vocation is unhealthy.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
What about all the liberal arts majors? Or history majors? Or sociology, women's studies, art, fashion, etc.? Where do they fall on the income list since none of them fall into a particular job field? Or those students that get a degree and cant find a job?

I'm sure if you look hard enough, you will be able to find the info. I don't have any specific links, but I trust the person I got the info from.
It's worth noting that all of those degrees you mentioned have comparatively very low enrollment rates at large institutions. The only places where "liberal arts" degrees are really prevalent are community colleges (and then generally used as a stepping stone to another degree).

I can't imagine the average salary around DSM being under $30k. I've found in my searches that DSM pays reasonably well for educated workers. For example, I know ISU Business tends to see a lot of grads go the DDSM-area (not all of course), and they claim most recently that the average starting salary across all business school majors is $47k.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I didn't mention this in the Leath threads because it's a bit cavey, but this one is more appropriate, I think. Wasn't a big fan of Leath but he at least seemed to be on good terms with state political leaders. I sincerely hope the new President is able to maintain that relationship because it isn't pretty when the state government decides to show outright hostility toward their higher education institutions.

I dislike the vocationalization of universities that many state governments are pushing. University should not be purely about turning out workers for corporations. They are not tech schools. It should be about turning out well-rounded citizens for the community as well. The hate on anything that's not STEM or a direct vocation is unhealthy.

If you think tl/dr, i do summarize the thought in the last paragraph

My main issue with the state schools (yes I'm old so I'm going of 94 and definitely inform me of what is different) is their seeming idea of well rounded when I went to school was more uppidity than community oriented.

I grew up with parents and friends who believed in giving back to the community. We were active in things outside of our school that directly helped the community. Being on town betterment boards, running local events, helping with fundraiser. When I got to ISU, I never once had an advisor or instructor mention this as important. Instead, I was told that the world geography class or the english class that taught me the nuances of when to serve and drink which kind of wine was making me more well rounded and a better citizen. That same English class taught me how to dine when you have the 18 forks, 4 spoons and how to place my utensils to indicate im just pausing or finished with that course. I don't care if someone uses the wrong spoon or God forbid keeps a fork from their appetizer and uses it with their salad. I'm interested in where their passion and heart lies, how can we make this a better place for our kids, parents or just community members.

Community service and volunterrism was not stressed to me or my friends I had in college. I believe that what many schools think make you a better community member doesn't. I did have advisors tell me to be in the ag Bus club or NAMA or etc, but it was followed with, it will look good on your resume, instead of you need to give back for what others have helped to already build. The clubs I did join typically were concerned in fundraising to take trips to either competitions or conferences, in all those years, I don't remember working around Ames or surrounding communities just to help out.

It has been a while since I was there and things could have and hopefully have changed. Hopefully some sort of community work, such as soup kitchen, animal shelter or the such is required to show community volunteering is important.

I guess I ran this rant to show why people my age kinda scoff at some of the "well rounded requirments" that schools require.

ISUguy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
when I looked at establishing residency, you had to live in the state for a year without simultaneously attending college.

Two things I can add...my daughter just applied to the U of M and to Iowa State. She got into both..both offered financial aide. Iowa State offered her a scholarship that was just enough to make the tuition more affordable than the U of M. So not technically reciprocity, it served the same purpose. As a kid from Nebraska, I took a year off to establish residency. I believe I could take up to 6 credits or something like that, so I took two classes and worked the rest of the time. Saved me several thousand dollars and I got to build up a nest egg from the money I earned working.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
If you think tl/dr, i do summarize the thought in the last paragraph

My main issue with the state schools (yes I'm old so I'm going of 94 and definitely inform me of what is different) is their seeming idea of well rounded when I went to school was more uppidity than community oriented.

I grew up with parents and friends who believed in giving back to the community. We were active in things outside of our school that directly helped the community. Being on town betterment boards, running local events, helping with fundraiser. When I got to ISU, I never once had an advisor or instructor mention this as important. Instead, I was told that the world geography class or the english class that taught me the nuances of when to serve and drink which kind of wine was making me more well rounded and a better citizen. That same English class taught me how to dine when you have the 18 forks, 4 spoons and how to place my utensils to indicate im just pausing or finished with that course. I don't care if someone uses the wrong spoon or God forbid keeps a fork from their appetizer and uses it with their salad. I'm interested in where their passion and heart lies, how can we make this a better place for our kids, parents or just community members.

Community service and volunterrism was not stressed to me or my friends I had in college. I believe that what many schools think make you a better community member doesn't. I did have advisors tell me to be in the ag Bus club or NAMA or etc, but it was followed with, it will look good on your resume, instead of you need to give back for what others have helped to already build. The clubs I did join typically were concerned in fundraising to take trips to either competitions or conferences, in all those years, I don't remember working around Ames or surrounding communities just to help out.

It has been a while since I was there and things could have and hopefully have changed. Hopefully some sort of community work, such as soup kitchen, animal shelter or the such is required to show community volunteering is important.

I guess I ran this rant to show why people my age kinda scoff at some of the "well rounded requirments" that schools require.

and I didn't really have the same experience. My club did fundraising but also did work with local schools, once a month soup kitchen type thing - but that's not really what I was getting at. I'm talking more about the requirement to take Humanities and diversities classes and the like. People complain about having to take them and how they don't directly equal a job or don't help you in your pursuit of an engineering degree. But I think it's important that students come out of college with a basic understanding of the classics and not just the specific discipline they came to college for.

• Informative
Reactions: BCClone

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Or do things like staff prisons. They haven't been fully staffed for years and it continues to get worse. By the time they gut their benefits, not sure why anyone would even take a job there, the less staffing, the greater chance of being assaulted.

No need for that since they can all just get jobs in all of the new Iowa coal mines. :rolleyes:

cyclone87

Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
Looks like the cuts will be even larger than those proposed by Branstad. There are going to be some shocked students when they propose tuition increases to try to cover some of the losses. 6% cut for both ISU and UI (which I believe would be around $10 mill for ISU and $19-20 mill cut from last years original budget before the mid-year cuts)

http://www.thegazette.com/subject/n...e-spending-on-schools-human-services-20170418

Last edited:

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
You know I like ISU as much as most people but $908.4 million dollars is a heck of a lot of money to spend on an institution that producers lots of young adults with little added value to the market and huge debt burdens.

Higher education has been cut at least somewhat but the real whole in the pocket book is the $3.73 Billion going to K-12.

Flame away.

This little nugget is curious and BS though. "require county auditors to arrange candidate names on the ballot in descending order based on previous election results"

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
You know I like ISU as much as most people but $908.4 million dollars is a heck of a lot of money to spend on an institution that producers lots of young adults with little added value to the market and huge debt burdens.

Higher education has been cut at least somewhat but the real whole in the pocket book is the $3.73 Billion going to K-12.

Flame away.
Why do we spend any money on education? The kids could just learn it all on Youtube.

cyclone87

Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA

Flame away.

This little nugget is curious and BS though. "require county auditors to arrange candidate names on the ballot in descending order based on previous election results"

$908.4 mill is the entire regent budget, I think ISU only gets about $160 mill or so of that. Increasing tuition will only increase the debt burden. Remember State support has been gradually decreasing with tuition increasing for quite some time, it's not like there is run-away spending here.