Don't talk to the police

alaskaguy

Apr 11, 2006
In the linked video Prof. James Duane explains why even angels devoid of the slightest moral blemish should never speak to police officers, tax collectors or other law-enforcement agents investigating crimes. Duane assumes no malice on the part of the police -- just human failings and motivations.

Link:
[ame=http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4097602514885833865]"Don't Talk to the Police" by Professor James Duane[/ame]

Reactions: rahtotheames

Phaedrus

Jan 13, 2008
Khorasan
There is another problem: Not talking to the police can be the difference between you giving the police your phone number as a witness and spending upwards of $100,000 in legal defense fees, because the police take your refusal to talk as a reason to pursue you as a suspect.

But of course a law professor wouldn't mind you spending everything you own in your legal defense, at all..... Using potential prosecution as a threat.

rahtotheames

Aug 3, 2006
There is another problem: Not talking to the police can be the difference between you giving the police your phone number as a witness and spending upwards of $100,000 in legal defense fees, because the police take your refusal to talk as a reason to pursue you as a suspect.

But of course a law professor wouldn't mind you spending everything you own in your legal defense, at all..... Using potential prosecution as a threat.
Call me naive, but under what circumstance has a suspect ended up having suspicion dropped from him, and then being used as a witness? If you watched the video, the officer admitted himself that in his 28 years of working, he's only let a dozen suspects go because he thought they were truly innocent.

His ultimate goal is to 'solve' the murder, right or wrong.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Fine. Take it from me, then. I talked to a police officer once, just trying to be helpful. Next thing I know I'm in court, watching in stunned amazement as the (expletive deleted) lies his *** off on the witness stand about things that only I could know that he was lying about...

Me State

Oct 19, 2007
Every lawyer will tell you to not talk to the Police. That is how they make more money.

Talking to the Police in most cases is in your best interest.

rahtotheames

Aug 3, 2006
Every lawyer will tell you to not talk to the Police. That is how they make more money.

You obviously did not watch the video. Fine, talk to the police. They can not help you.

Miranda states "Everything you say may be used against you in the court of law" , not "Everything you say may be used to help you in the court of law"

Also, refer to the 5th amendment. This part to be exact

nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself,

Last edited:

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
You obviously did not watch the video. Fine, talk to the police. They can not help you.

Miranda states "Everything you say may be used against you in the court of law" , not "Everything you say may be used to help you in the court of law"

Also, refer to the 5th amendment.

Isn't it, "...can and WILL be used against you..."?

That's really not a hint that it's optional...:mask:

Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007
Thats it, I'm moving to Spain where the police don't lie to you in attempts to get you to confess :skeptical:

Oh wait... in Spain they just start by beating you :no:

Seriously though I've never been to court or arrested or anything but my limited experience with interacting with the police is that talking to them is a bad idea. Not to say the police are out to get you or anything... but they are there to enforce laws, and there are a lot of laws they can charge you with breaking

Phaedrus

Jan 13, 2008
Khorasan
Call me naive, but under what circumstance has a suspect ended up having suspicion dropped from him, and then being used as a witness? If you watched the video, the officer admitted himself that in his 28 years of working, he's only let a dozen suspects go because he thought they were truly innocent.

His ultimate goal is to 'solve' the murder, right or wrong.

Actually, refusing to talk to the police is a very, very good way to BECOME A SUSPECT. I didn't say that "suspects" should talk to the police. In fact, that lawyer conveniently did not address how one gets to be a suspect in the first place.

I was once detained for matching the description of a guy who shot and killed someone about an hour before. If I didn't talk to the police, at a very minimum, I get to spend the night in jail.

By talking to the police, and giving them information that made my doing it impossible, I just got to sit in the back of the patrol car for an hour. It helps, too, that I didn't get all ticked off about it and calmly related information.

Phaedrus

Jan 13, 2008
Khorasan

I would say that upwards of 99% of people who are aproached by the police are never made suspects, primarily because they answer the cops' questions, and eliminated themselves from the suspect pool.

Which the lawyer in the video conveniently left out.

Me State

Oct 19, 2007

Also, refer to the 5th amendment. This part to be exact

I don't need to watch the video, I know from experience. In most minor cases honesty could be the difference between you leaving with a warning or getting a citation/being arrested.

ahaselhu

Sep 10, 2007
Clarinda, IA
I would say it comes down to taking one of two approaches. Do you want to protect yourself from bad cops, or do you want to help the police do their job?

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I don't need to watch the video, I know from experience. In most minor cases honesty could be the difference between you leaving with a warning or getting a citation/being arrested.
It seems that in the video, he seems to be mainly talking about not talking to the police in an interview type of manner, where they want to sit down and go over a bunch of questions, and more for major cases, than for smaller things. Basically, the types of cases where you would want a lawyer involved, he's saying dont talk to the police.

CYlent Bob

Aug 7, 2006
The Winterset Metroplex
Actually, he said don't talk to them under any circumstances. Obviously, I think that he doesn't mean "don't give witness statements", but if the officer asks you a question about your whereabouts at the time of a crime, it's probably not a bad idea to get a lawyer involved. From what the policeman in that video says, by the time they do an interview with you about the case, they've more than likely got at least SOME evidence that you're the one who did it. Whether that evidence is right or wrong, you can appear to impeach yourself if you're careless about how you answer questions.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron