S.I.: Wichita State to AAC, early as 2017-18

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Good move for WSU but I think they'll take a bit of a hit in headlines at times. They've basically become the Gonzaga(lite) of the midwest. Now, they'll just be another solid team in the AAC. However, it'll be easier for them to get an at large now and my guess is more money.

No further rationalization needed

• Agree
Reactions: mj4cy

HandSanitizer

Apr 19, 2006
Bondurant, IA
I think its a great move by WSU and the conference. Will be a lot tougher for them but they will probably get a better seed even with more losses now than this year.

Cincy
WSU
Memphis
Tulsa
Temple
SMU
Houston
UCF
UConn
ECU
Tulane
USF

As for the valley. Talk about a hit. Everyone knows Creighton and WSU were the anchors of the league. Now your asking a school that is 3rd fiddle in the state of Iowa to be your new basketball anchor. not good.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
The MVC is pretty much always a 1 bid league if WSU leaves. Those teams' entire season rests on the conference tournament now.

Can UNI even afford to move to the MAC if they wanted to? Not sure the TV $ would offset the increase in scholarships and travel.

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
Does any one know how much this nets WSU? Without football wondering how they will be valued in the AAC.

As far as UNI getting in the MAC, I would find that very difficult to believe, Not sure why the MAC would value them.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
The MVC is pretty much always a 1 bid league if WSU leaves. Those teams' entire season rests on the conference tournament now.

Can UNI even afford to move to the MAC if they wanted to? Not sure the TV $ would offset the increase in scholarships and travel.

I think it can be afforded. The MAC schools give out 73-76 scholarships for football and UNI would only need to add 10. Also, going FBS re-opens the Big Ten to play guarantee games against and there is about $1.2 Million per year from the MAC as part of the ESPN deal. The Dome is perfectly fine and the fundraising has started to do a massive overhaul of the Dome to bring it into the current world, as its obviously a bit dated being 40 years old at this point.

Travel gets better because the current MVFC is spread from Grand Forks to Youngstown and the average MAC road trip is much shorter. The new AD realizes its absolutely impossible to make money playing FCS football and that with Wichita leaving there is no way we can pay Jake the $1M per year he's soon to be getting. The only way that anything works financially is to make the move. We're already in the MAC for wrestling and there have been discussions with them. I think it's where UNI should be.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Does any one know how much this nets WSU? Without football wondering how they will be valued in the AAC.

As far as UNI getting in the MAC, I would find that very difficult to believe, Not sure why the MAC would value them.

Wichita is rumored to be getting 60% of what the full member's get to make up for not having football.

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
I think its a great move by WSU and the conference. Will be a lot tougher for them but they will probably get a better seed even with more losses now than this year.

Cincy
WSU
Memphis
Tulsa
Temple
SMU
Houston
UCF
UConn
ECU
Tulane
USF

As for the valley. Talk about a hit. Everyone knows Creighton and WSU were the anchors of the league. Now your asking a school that is 3rd fiddle in the state of Iowa to be your new basketball anchor. not good.
Isn't WSU 3rd fiddle in Kansas?

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
I think it can be afforded. The MAC schools give out 73-76 scholarships for football and UNI would only need to add 10. Also, going FBS re-opens the Big Ten to play guarantee games against and there is about $1.2 Million per year from the MAC as part of the ESPN deal. The Dome is perfectly fine and the fundraising has started to do a massive overhaul of the Dome to bring it into the current world, as its obviously a bit dated being 40 years old at this point.

Travel gets better because the current MVFC is spread from Grand Forks to Youngstown and the average MAC road trip is much shorter. The new AD realizes its absolutely impossible to make money playing FCS football and that with Wichita leaving there is no way we can pay Jake the $1M per year he's soon to be getting. The only way that anything works financially is to make the move. We're already in the MAC for wrestling and there have been discussions with them. I think it's where UNI should be.

UNI can't move to FBS until, at least, they average 15,000 per game attendance in football over a rolling two-year period. A quick glance shows their best attendance last year was 13,700 and the average is right around 12,000.

I am also pretty sure UNI would have to add one sport to be able to move up in order to hit the FBS minimum.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Tough blow for the Valley. I really like that conference and hate to see it shredded. Regardless, in my mind, they 100% need to add NDSU to replace them. It was stupid they didn't last time and went with Loyala instead. Also, I'd almost go out and say that this makes UNI the headliner team of the conference now.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Also, if UNI were to desire to move anywhere, I think you guys are wrong at looking to the MAC as the best option, where you've got to deal with all the football crap. Truly, their much better fit would be to move to the A10. Yes, I'm talking the Atlantic 10 conference, and yes, I know that UNI is nowhere near the ocean, but neither is St. Louis. That conference is becoming a super solid basketball conference and would definitely be a step up over the current MVC now-a-days. I could also see a great rivalry get going between them and St. Louis. The hard part is that I doubt the A-10 is interested in UNI.

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
Baring a $100 million donation to UNI, I don't see anyway they can go FBS. Plus the MAC doesn't exactly need UNI. The MAC tried expanding with UMass a few years ago and it was a disaster. Since then, they kicked UMass out and went back to 12 teams. If the MAC doesn't want UMass, they sure as **** don't want UNI.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Crazy that when I was in college last decade the MVC was dominated by Creighton, Southern Illinois, SW Mo St, Indiana St, and even Illinois St, Bradley, and Drake had runs. Wichita St and UNI were largely nothings.

Now that Creighton has left and Wichita St became a national program and seemingly are on their way out as well, the only two decent schools left are UNI and Illinois St, as everyone else has seemingly faded.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Games vs Cincinnati, UConn, and SMU will test them. The Valley is a 1 bid league now. Arch madness is much more important for UNI now.