Another Funding Cut

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
An additional funding cut is on the way for ISU in the upcoming fiscal year (proposed ~$6 mil). This is on top of the ~$9 mil mid year cut that was recently leveled on the university. Going to be hard to support record enrollment with dwindling resources. I wonder if they will propose substantial tuition increases going forward, seems about the only option to me (other than cuts in staff, programming, and/or quality) if cuts continue with the university already underfunded (imo).

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...reduces-proposed-budget-173-million/99759506/

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
It's getting harder and harder to take the classes you need to graduate in 4, from people I've talked to there now.

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
Problem is it has been shown in the past that there is relatively little political blow-back from cutting university funding compared with other areas (just raise tuition). Thus, the defunding of Higher education.

http://www.iowafiscal.org/2012research/120308-IFP-regents.html

GEF-chart.png

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I guess if the regents wanted to make some noise, they could start raising acceptance standards to match the budget cuts. If the state wants to cut funding then the universities would respond by taking fewer in-state enrollees.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
They are going through the same funding cut drills here in Nebby...state budgets are shrinking and college education appropriations continue to fall. Students get hit in two ways... tuition and fees. The fees are the tough ones though as often a scholarship will cover only tuition...not fees.

Eventually you get to a point where the number of students levels out and you can balance the administrative and infrastructure costs...not there yet. Until then...look for the costs to continue going up...

Bryce7

May 4, 2016
I do not know the answer. Do the international students bring in more funds to the school or do they cost more than they bring in?

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
I do not know the answer. Do the international students bring in more funds to the school or do they cost more than they bring in?
My understanding is that the vast majority of international students are non-scholarship, making them purely revenue like that of out-of-state students (who may still have scholarships, too).

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Sad to hear/see this. I'm all for trying to balance the budget and not operate in the red, but I'm sure there are many many better ways to go about it.

I fear for what's to come for my kids in the next 13-15 years when they go to college.

• Agree
Reactions: SoapyCy

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
Sad to hear/see this. I'm all for trying to balance the budget and not operate in the red, but I'm sure there are many many better ways to go about it.

I fear for what's to come for my kids in the next 13-15 years when they go to college.

I worry about that everyday with my 3 year old. It's crazy, i graduated 15 years ago with no debt and $10K in my bank account - just by working while i was in school. Cannot imagine having to write a check twice a year at these prices.

Our government has a lot of big problems ahead of them and we have this stupid 2 party system that cannot get along and actually fix things. Also the people inside of the two party system, i wouldn't trust to balance my checkbook.

• Agree
Reactions: CyCloned and mj4cy

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Of the three regent universities, Iowa State has to cut the most, where Iowa, while just a slightly smaller number, is a smaller percent of their overall budget.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
My understanding is that the vast majority of international students are non-scholarship, making them purely revenue like that of out-of-state students (who may still have scholarships, too).
Out of state tuition waivers were very common when I was in school for surrounding states. Has this changed? If not we are not doing as well with OOS students as one might believe

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Of the three regent universities, Iowa State has to cut the most, where Iowa, while just a slightly smaller number, is a smaller percent of their overall budget.
They receive the lions share of the state distribution, which is garbage, and have almost twice the endowment. So its no surprise. ISU has to do a lot with little, but that has always been the case.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

I'm absolutely convinced there are a large percentage of people that wind up worse off financially having gone to college.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I'm absolutely convinced there are a large percentage of people that wind up worse off financially having gone to college.

That's why we only got one 529 plan for our 3 kids. The rest in other types of investments....we figure in 10-15 years who knows if college is the best route to go towards a career anymore.

• Agree
Reactions: Macloney

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu

International students are a cash cow. That's a big part of why they are recruited so hard.