Drake MBB job

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
You guys aren't even looking at my point. It already is a one bid league most years. Wichita State leaving opens the door for other teams to compete for the NCAA tournament. That's why it is more appealing to coach in a MVC without Wichita State. It hurts the overall view of the conference nationally but it is still going to be one of the better mid major conferences.

As it is with Wichita State I don't know that you can really rebuild a teams. UNI and a couple others can compete for second and go on a run to make the tournament but no one can dethrone Wichita State.

The loss of Wichita State doesn't outweigh the benefit of opening up the conference to other teams. At least for teams like Drake. If I was UNI I wouldn't be happy about them leaving.

It will become easier for other teams to win the MVC without WSU, but it really hurts the conference overall. A conference that isn't doing great economically as it is. You still have to have some conference money coming in to keep paying coaches like Jacobson to stick around.
Water it down even more now and even the winner of the conference tourney will be lucky to get better than a 13 seed in the tourney, even with a great year.

• Agree
Reactions: capitalcityguy

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
You guys aren't even looking at my point. It already is a one bid league most years. Wichita State leaving opens the door for other teams to compete for the NCAA tournament. That's why it is more appealing to coach in a MVC without Wichita State. It hurts the overall view of the conference nationally but it is still going to be one of the better mid major conferences.

As it is with Wichita State I don't know that you can really rebuild a teams. UNI and a couple others can compete for second and go on a run to make the tournament but no one can dethrone Wichita State.

The loss of Wichita State doesn't outweigh the benefit of opening up the conference to other teams. At least for teams like Drake. If I was UNI I wouldn't be happy about them leaving.

If Wichita State is in the league and you win the tournament it's most likely a 2 bid league. Plus Wichita State gives them any clout they do have so losing them kills that.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
It will become easier for other teams to win the MVC without WSU, but it really hurts the conference overall. A conference that isn't doing great economically as it is. You still have to have some conference money coming in to keep paying coaches like Jacobson to stick around.
Water it down even more now and even the winner of the conference tourney will be lucky to get better than a 13 seed in the tourney, even with a great year.
Again we are talking about this from a coaching perspective. I'd rather coach in a MVC without Wichita State.

Even from a schools perspective I'd really rather be in a weaker more balanced league. It would give the fan base a chance to grow and to get more excitement into the program. It would then be possible to capitalize on that financially. Sure maybe you don't get as much money from the confeeence but it would be healthier. Maybe you lose some coaches but I would think the healthier interest from a competitive league would be better.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Again we are talking about this from a coaching perspective. I'd rather coach in a MVC without Wichita State.

Even from a schools perspective I'd really rather be in a weaker more balanced league. It would give the fan base a chance to grow and to get more excitement into the program. It would then be possible to capitalize on that financially. Sure maybe you don't get as much money from the confeeence but it would be healthier. Maybe you lose some coaches but I would think the healthier interest from a competitive league would be better.

Interesting take on it. I hope you're right and the league doesn't go completely in the crapper. Short term, it may turn out just like you stated. Long term, I'm not sure how much security the league has.

Basically your league is only as good as the teams that are in it. MVC has lost Creighton and now Wichita State.

If UNI loses Jacobson, because they can no longer pay him, and the Ill State coach leaves for similar reasons, you have a competitive but weak league.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
Interesting take on it. I hope you're right and the league doesn't go completely in the crapper. Short term, it may turn out just like you stated. Long term, I'm not sure how much security the league has.

Basically your league is only as good as the teams that are in it. MVC has lost Creighton and now Wichita State.

If UNI loses Jacobson, because they can no longer pay him, and the Ill State coach leaves for similar reasons, you have a competitive but weak league.
I'm just going based off of memory, but I feel like the league as a whole is actually not as good as it used to be since the rise of Creighton and Wichita State. The top is much better, but the bottom seems to be much worse for the reasons stated. I think short term the conference will be weak, but then when teams are competitive they can once again build up to be good programs.

I just went and looked at the conference RPI's and it seems like it has consistently been a top 10 conference since the early 2000's or so, and now is dropping, because the bottom can't compete. It hurts short term, but I think it is needed long term. Either that or Marshall needs to go. I'm assuming Jacobson is one of the highest paid, but he is still only 1/3 of what Marshall gets. It just isn't sustainable.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017

The lack of understanding is sad. Like deja vu from the coaching salary thread.

These schools are not growing their fan bases. They are directional schools in our neighboring states. Small tv markets, and less than 3000 attendance numbers defeat your ridiculous idea of growing fan bases.

They are already cash strapped. They play FCS football, and don't get a lot of money from that.

They need as much revenue as the basketball tv contracts and NCAA tournament runs can provide.

They had two teams that could attract casual fans because of reputation and past successes. Creighton is gone, and now they lose the next one. It's over. UNI needs to have an exit strategy if they are to survive.

I hope you aren't one of the people on here whining about financing their athletic budget like idiot hawk fans do about Iowa State.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
I'm just going based off of memory, but I feel like the league as a whole is actually not as good as it used to be since the rise of Creighton and Wichita State. The top is much better, but the bottom seems to be much worse for the reasons stated. I think short term the conference will be weak, but then when teams are competitive they can once again build up to be good programs.

I just went and looked at the conference RPI's and it seems like it has consistently been a top 10 conference since the early 2000's or so, and now is dropping, because the bottom can't compete. It hurts short term, but I think it is needed long term. Either that or Marshall needs to go. I'm assuming Jacobson is one of the highest paid, but he is still only 1/3 of what Marshall gets. It just isn't sustainable.

What???

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
The lack of understanding is sad. Like deja vu from the coaching salary thread.

These schools are not growing their fan bases. They are directional schools in our neighboring states. Small tv markets, and less than 3000 attendance numbers defeat your ridiculous idea of growing fan bases.

They are already cash strapped. They play FCS football, and don't get a lot of money from that.

They need as much revenue as the basketball tv contracts and NCAA tournament runs can provide.

They had two teams that could attract casual fans because of reputation and past successes. Creighton is gone, and now they lose the next one. It's over. UNI needs to have an exit strategy if they are to survive.

I hope you aren't one of the people on here whining about financing their athletic budget like idiot hawk fans do about Iowa State.
Well said. Betcha every team in the MVC, including UNI, looked forward to Wichita State coming to their place, just for the attendance bump. Now that's gone. Also betcha that MVC coaches used Wichita in their recruiting spiel, as in "we get to play these guys twice a year." That's gone too.
Not a single MVC coach enjoys Wichita leaving.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
I can tell you that UNI is pretty upset with the rest of the league, especially the private schools, for allowing themselves to get to this point. UNI has consistently put together a Top 50-75 non-conference schedule and been the only other school outside of WSU and CU to bring in any NCAA money this decade, sans one fluke Indiana State run where they got embarrassed in the first round.

UNI wants out. This is a league that took Loyola when Creighton left so that the Illinois schools could have another bus trip instead of having to get on a plane. UNI and Wichita are/were the only two schools that chartered flights everywhere. There is no forward thinking and UNI has a new AD (thanks for him, btw, he's awesome) that dreams big and wants to do big things. He's already done things that the last AD told us was impossible right now (new turf, basketball practice facility, major Dome renovation, on campus softball facility).

If I had to guess, UNI will be in the MAC within the next 5-10 years. We already have a relationship with them through wrestling and David has made no secret that staying FCS is basically financial suicide. Plus, there's no way we can pay Ben Jacobson $1M while basically playing in the Summit League. The economics don't work.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I can tell you that UNI is pretty upset with the rest of the league, especially the private schools, for allowing themselves to get to this point. UNI has consistently put together a Top 50-75 non-conference schedule and been the only other school outside of WSU and CU to bring in any NCAA money this decade, sans one fluke Indiana State run where they got embarrassed in the first round.

UNI wants out. This is a league that took Loyola when Creighton left so that the Illinois schools could have another bus trip instead of having to get on a plane. UNI and Wichita are/were the only two schools that chartered flights everywhere. There is no forward thinking and UNI has a new AD (thanks for him, btw, he's awesome) that dreams big and wants to do big things. He's already done things that the last AD told us was impossible right now (new turf, basketball practice facility, major Dome renovation, on campus softball facility).

If I had to guess, UNI will be in the MAC within the next 5-10 years. We already have a relationship with them through wrestling and David has made no secret that staying FCS is basically financial suicide. Plus, there's no way we can pay Ben Jacobson $1M while basically playing in the Summit League. The economics don't work.

That's pretty much what I was thinking financially. I hope UNI finds a safe landing place.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Well said. Betcha every team in the MVC, including UNI, looked forward to Wichita State coming to their place, just for the attendance bump. Now that's gone. Also betcha that MVC coaches used Wichita in their recruiting spiel, as in "we get to play these guys twice a year." That's gone too.
Not a single MVC coach enjoys Wichita leaving.

Exactly.
I thought about going to a Drake game this year….to see Wichita State in person. I cared to see how Drake would play against an opponent that was worth caring about. On the other hand, I wouldn’t considering paying to go watch Drake play Bradley.

It is important to consider what creates fan interest, following, etc. it you think you can water down your conference…and somehow get ahead. If Wichita leaves, this hurts every remaining team and there is a negative ripple effect on different levels.

Reactions: Acylum

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com

In all honesty, I hope UNI goes to the MAC. It would make losing to them all the damned time slightly less embarrassing. :mad:

• Funny
Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines

Even if I could agree "from a coaching perspective" (which I'm not there either), the change doesn't occur in a vacuum so you can't ignore all the other negative fallout.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
P

How will UNI afford full D1? They can't afford FCS now and FBS would add 23 schollys and plenty of travel expense.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006

I guarentee you are in the minority. I'd guarentee there is not a single Missouri Valley coach thinking "I really hope Wichita State leaves the conference." other than Marshall himself.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
P

How will UNI afford full D1? They can't afford FCS now and FBS would add 23 schollys and plenty of travel expense.

There's a ton more revenue opportunity at the FBS level. First of all, it reopens the Big Ten for football guarantee games and also gives us ~$1M in TV money that we don't currently have. Also, nobody in the MAC actually gives the full 85 scholarships, the minimum is 72 and most MAC schools give 73-76.

On the travel side, the travel in the MAC West is actually better than the current monstrosity we're in that is spread between Grand Forks and Youngstown. The MAC West would put us with Northern Illinois, Ball State and the Michigan Schools, much, much closer with one or maybe two trips to Ohio each year and one trip to Buffalo once every 4-6 years.

The economics work better because there's actually a chance to make some money on the football side. There is absolutely no chance of that in the FCS and that's why that level isn't going to exist in the next 5-10 year. The bottom is headed for D2 and the top is headed for a merger with the G5 leagues/

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006

Umm, its dropping because Creighton left.

If your logic made any sense, you'd expect an RPI increase when Creighton left.

• Funny
Reactions: jkclone