MLB: ***Official 2017 Chicago Cubs Spring Training Thread***

tman24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
With Molina and Baez there arent going to be many that steal a base against them.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
C7AJZdGV0AE4hLa.jpg:large

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
I know it's just a World Baseball Classic outing but Hector Rondon getting torched. He hasn't been "right" for awhile now. He also looks like he is overweight too.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
How good has Javy been in the WBC? I am so excited about how he and Addy will be in the middle this year. They will be better talented this year, just hope the balls can fall and they can do it again!

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I'm not concerned with the order of the rotation to start the season because it will change throughout the year. Plus you could "spin" it saying you are skipping Hendricks turn in the rotation going with a 4 man rotation the first time through then starting over with Hendricks. Just a creative thought there... The rotation has been pretty healthy the last couple years so they are due for an injury and considering Anderson's injury history and Lackey being 38 years old Montgomery or someone that will start in AAA will likely spend a few turns through the rotation at some point this year. I can even see Montgomery making some spot starts either to skip Anderson once in the rotation or to go with a 6 man rotation when they have a long stretch of games without a day off.

I also would not rule out a trade for a starter at some point this year with Arietta and Lackey's upcoming free agency. Happ could possibly be used if a top notch young and controllable arm comes available and Calendario is pretty much MLB ready right now and blocked by Bryant at 3B so the Cubs have some valuable trade chips to add to this roster both for the short term and long term if needed.

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Just saw the Cubs released Kawaskai...... What is the next move, trade Szcur for young reliever, and upgrade Happ???

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Just saw the Cubs released Kawaskai...... What is the next move, trade Szcur for young reliever, and upgrade Happ???
I don't see how Happ plays much for us in the next few years. I got to imagine his trade value right now is pretty high though.

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I don't see how Happ plays much for us in the next few years. I got to imagine his trade value right now is pretty high though.
How do you see that? If he continues down the improvements strides he is currently I see a better option of trading La Stella or Szcur.... He is OF utility and 2B ans a switch hitter to boot.....