ISU and Iowa among least fair-weather fans in America

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

ICHawk24

Sep 8, 2010
#3 and #4

https://sportsonmind.wordpress.com/2017/03/24/fairweathercfb/

Everyone knows that college football fans attend games less during losing seasons (for similar results for NFL, click here). But, let’s dive a little deeper into this effect, and see which teams and conferences are the biggest “fair-weathered” fans–if not for pure, unbridled interest, then to have potential ammunition for your next debate with a rival team fan.

Season attendance and win percentage were accumulated for each FBS team from 2007-2016 (courtesy of NCAA). On average, one loss equals a 507 person decrease in attendance (per game). This relationship is (gasp!) not too surprising, but it does help us better understand the exact size of the effect.

• Friendly
Reactions: isu2014 and tzjung

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
One question I have regarding gathering of the data. Was it counting tickets sold or butts in the seats? Because I have seen kinnick looking awfully empty as they announced another "sellout"

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Wow Pitt...thats hilarious.

And just think, they were pretty close to Big12 inclusion at one point.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
One question I have regarding gathering of the data. Was it counting tickets sold or butts in the seats? Because I have seen kinnick looking awfully empty as they announced another "sellout"

Not to mention CHA. Unless it's a NIT game of course.

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
This is cool, thanks for sharing. Among the expansion candidates from last year all, it looks like all but cinci are in the top half.

Reactions: ICHawk24

Hawkmi1987

Jun 27, 2016
Newton, Ia
No, they don't exist. I should know I was there watching Iowa kick their ass.
giphy.gif

ICHawk24

Sep 8, 2010

Nothing like your anecdotal story against 10 years of data. I thought you had a good engineering school.

abcguyks

Apr 11, 2006
Olathe
The OP started a thread that was actually complementary to Eastern Iowa CC and in less than 20 posts the Squawk dbags have turned it into a slam on attendance at Cyclone home FB games.

Someone needs to remind these jr high EICC fans that this is CYCLONEfanatic.

• Useful
Reactions: Lexclone