MLB: Misc. General Thread Baseball Season 2017

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Thought we could use a non-Cubby and non-fantasy baseball thread.

Random Spring Ramblings:

TV Broadcasts: Seeing more home team broadcasters than normal because I've been watching some of the MLB Net spring training broadcasts. Some of these guys suck. :confused: I get that it's the home broadcast team but you are also the national telecast that day and it okay to talk SOME about the other team. Exception, the Phillie team (Kruk) is doing pretty good today especially considering they are a National League broadcast team doing a game with the American League Yanks. Maybe cause Kruk has done more national games. Anyway, gotta give them some props.

Yankee Stuff: Gleyber Torres (thank you Cubs) will be in the starting infield by next year if he keeps up anywhere near the play he had in the fall league and his first full spring training (over .400 in both). Greg Bird looks great after missing an entire season with a shoulder tear (.439/6 HR). Gary Sanchez going just like last fall. Going to be an interesting bunch of kids to watch. :cool: Probably only an 85-90 win team with bubble playoff ceiling but building for something. Starting pitching past Tanaka is YUGE question.

Twins: Ack. Good grief, about all the sports guys here can come up with is that this is the year that Byron Buxton "arrives" and makes an impact. He's hitting .235. Yeah, only spring training but still. Also, can Hughes comeback from injury stories. Not much else to talk about. Maybe, how much will Sano weigh? They are going to lose a lot of games and be boring doing it (again). Wondering how attendance is going to be? How many people will show up just to see if Dozier might homer or if the zillion dollar 1st baseman will hit a soft .260? :(

Washington: Jason Wirth's hair and beard are reaching even more epic proportions after a winter of more growth :rolleyes:.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA

Random Spring Ramblings:

TV Broadcasts: Seeing more home team broadcasters than normal because I've been watching some of the MLB Net spring training broadcasts. Some of these guys suck. :confused: I get that it's the home broadcast team but you are also the national telecast that day and it okay to talk SOME about the other team. Exception, the Phillie team (Kruk) is doing pretty good today especially considering they are a National League broadcast team doing a game with the American League Yanks. Maybe cause Kruk has done more national games. Anyway, gotta give them some props.

Yankee Stuff: Gleyber Torres (thank you Cubs) will be in the starting infield by next year if he keeps up anywhere near the play he had in the fall league and his first full spring training (over .400 in both). Greg Bird looks great after missing an entire season with a shoulder tear (.439/6 HR). Gary Sanchez going just like last fall. Going to be an interesting bunch of kids to watch. :cool: Probably only an 85-90 win team with bubble playoff ceiling but building for something. Starting pitching past Tanaka is YUGE question.

Twins: Ack. Good grief, about all the sports guys here can come up with is that this is the year that Byron Buxton "arrives" and makes an impact. He's hitting .235. Yeah, only spring training but still. Also, can Hughes comeback from injury stories. Not much else to talk about. Maybe, how much will Sano weigh? They are going to lose a lot of games and be boring doing it (again). Wondering how attendance is going to be? How many people will show up just to see if Dozier might homer or if the zillion dollar 1st baseman will hit a soft .260? :(

Washington: Jason Wirth's hair and beard are reaching even more epic proportions after a winter of more growth :rolleyes:.

I saw him the other day. I assume he's vying for a possible Forrest Gump remake.

upload_2017-3-22_14-23-37.jpeg

upload_2017-3-22_14-24-2.jpeg

Reactions: BoxsterCy

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Man, unless you have a pitcher you are wanting to see it's best to skip the last three innings of many spring games. Steady parade of Yankees batting now that even as a Yankee fan I have never heard of of.

Neither has John Kruk, apparently, "I can hardly wait for the 25 man rosters." True that. :)

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola

giphy.gif

Reactions: CycloneErik

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
First pitch of the season is a ball. Obviously means this is The Year of The Hitter. :oops:

Tidbit from the game. New turf at Tampa is 1/2 - 3/4 inch shorter than the old. It's going to be maybe pretty fast. Archer already took a hard one hopper on his shin.

Last edited:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Thought Tanaka versus Archer would be a pitcher's game but surprisingly Tanaka is getting completely Ta-knockaed.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Just turned on the FS1 game for Yanks/Rays and they have A. J. Pierzynski on the broadcast team. Not sure I am going to dig that much.

• Agree
Reactions: SCyclone

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I can't stand domed baseball stadiums. Does anyone else think they are dumb or is it just me?

Domes are a bad joke on baseball. One of the Ray's just hit a high fly that hit the overhead catwalk and it bounced down between outfielders. Ended as a single and it should have been a flyout or a homerun, likely a flyout the way the right fielder was setting up.

• Winner
Reactions: CloneLawman

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
Domes are a bad joke on baseball. One of the Ray's just hit a high fly that hit the overhead catwalk and it bounced down between outfielders. Ended as a single and it should have been a flyout or a homerun, likely a flyout the way the right fielder was setting up.
Yeah yesterday the Yankees scored off a ball bouncing off the ceiling and the outfielder losing to track of it. I never liked watching the twins play at the metrodome

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron