Vehicle Shopping advice

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
I've driven dozens and dozen of different crossover/SUV/vans..I drive 70k miles a year and cover 8 states including North Dakota..this is first time I've had an outback..if you are buying new or few years old and u want a crossover that is safest for your kids and is by far the best vehicle in snow I've ever driven then IMO again is Outback..that s thing weighs like 5000 lbs or something.. tank.

• Informative
Reactions: mj4cy

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I've driven dozens and dozen of different crossover/SUV/vans..I drive 70k miles a year and cover 8 states including North Dakota..this is first time I've had an outback..if you are buying new or few years old and u want a crossover that is safest for your kids and is by far the best vehicle in snow I've ever driven then IMO again is Outback..that s thing weighs like 5000 lbs or something.. tank.

Damn, that's nearly 300 miles a day. Impressive

CYCLONE STATE

Dec 8, 2007
Clive
That's a lot of miles. You must replace a lot of motherboards and gas cap sensors.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
I have 3 kids with similar age spread(oldest soon to be 14). Wife has had a Honda Odyssey for the last 10 years(and we still love it). I had a big Ford Taurus and could squeeze 3 cars seats in it. What a pain in the butt. Always tight fit.

I suggest getting something with 3 rows of seats so you can separate fighting kids which happens more and more as they get bigger and more independent. I have a Dodge Durango with about 135,000 miles on it and love it. AWD is nice when we do get a snowy winter.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Just heard the best quote about minivans from Christine Lakin (Alice "Al" Lambert from the 90's show Step By Step):

"Buying a minivan is like losing your virginity. It hurts the first time, but then you start to think about all the stuff you can fit in there."

FYI Lakin, Beverly Mitchell (7th Heaven) and Jodie Sweetin (Full House) are doing an unscripted comedy show called "Hollywood Darlings" sometime this spring.

• Winner
Reactions: Bobber

0u812

Jan 14, 2012
He has 3 kids to haul, not 5 or 6.

These options seem to be the definition of excessive. (and I’m not a progressive/tree-hugger type….just ask those that visit the cave).

Why crowd your garage unnecessarily? Why burn that much fuel? Why strap yourself down with the expensive associated replacement costs (e.g….huge tires)?

Maybe I'm missing something here?
I am biased but the suburban is a bit excessive yes, but very capable. I work on my own rigs so I bought mine dirt cheap needing some repairs. regardless it does what I want...tow a car trailer or bikes? no sweat...Drive over a mountain pass in winter...no sweat...load up a crew of 6 or 7...sure...haul firewood or tool...sure. for most a minivan with proper tires is a great option. given my price of entry, current fuel costs, ease of repair....my old suburban is real tough to beat. buying used and fixing things yourself is a huge benefit here. even though it's a 2000, all features work including keyless entry, heated leather seats, auto 4x4, and Bluetooth stereo...aftermarket of course

• Informative
Reactions: capitalcityguy

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
We bought a Buick Enclave recently, with only one kid, but planning ahead.

It's the same platform as the Chevy Traverse. The Buick commercials are really stupid, but it is a nice car really. Not great mileage, but that kinda comes with the territory.

A friend of mine uses a crew cab truck to haul around 3 kids, with at least 2 in carseats. I wouldn't think that possible, but apparently so :confused:

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Like my Subaru Outback but warning you may be called a Lesbian by uninformed message board posters who like cars. Side note, the prices of used cars on the wholesale market are falling so you might be able to negotiate a pretty good deal.

It has lots of leg room as both the wife and I are tall and I can drive without the seat crammed to the back most position. I am not sure if you will be able to get three car seats into the back seat though.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
We just got done buying a Malibu. My son is 13, but 5'9", so we were concerned about the fit for him in the back seat. We were very close to getting a Honda CRV or HRV. I wanted the Impala, but my wife didn't want that big... I'm guessing that the backseat in any of these will work for you, but if you keep the vehicle a while the third row would be the way to go. Even if you have the minivan as the primary, you may want a different vehicle for road trips.

If I could've convinced my wife to spend the money and squeeze it in the garage we would've bought a Murano, Enclave, Edge, or Acadia in that order.

• Informative
Reactions: mj4cy

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
We just got done buying a Malibu. My son is 13, but 5'9", so we were concerned about the fit for him in the back seat. We were very close to getting a Honda CRV or HRV. I wanted the Impala, but my wife didn't want that big... I'm guessing that the backseat in any of these will work for you, but if you keep the vehicle a while the third row would be the way to go. Even if you have the minivan as the primary, you may want a different vehicle for road trips.

If I could've convinced my wife to spend the money and squeeze it in the garage we would've bought a Murano, Enclave, Edge, or Acadia in that order.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
My wife and I are in the market for a certified pre-owned sedan (3 years old coming off a lease). We are currently trying to decide between the Honda Accord and the Toyota Camry. Any advice from fellow fanatics on their own personal experiences with these two sedans?

Don't worry, we will be paying the remaining balance in cash after trading in our current car. We both are of the mindset that this car will last us as long as possible.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
My wife and I are in the market for a certified pre-owned sedan (3 years old coming off a lease). We are currently trying to decide between the Honda Accord and the Toyota Camry. Any advice from fellow fanatics on their own personal experiences with these two sedans?

Don't worry, we will be paying the remaining balance in cash after trading in our current car. We both are of the mindset that this car will last us as long as possible.

Normally, I would choose the Accord without a doubt. Having said that, I've heard a couple of possible issues with the 2018. I've heard that some people have some real issues with long term seat comfort and a few other possible issues. I've also heard that the sales so far are very disappointing even though the reviews have been amazing. If you're going on the high end of the Accord models, I'd be disappointing that they got rid of the V6 and went with the turbo 4. My experience with the turbo 4's is that they are usually as fast as the V6 but dissapointing overall.

Now I see you are looking at pre-owned. Either should be fine. I think what you'll find though is that a 2 year old Camry/Accord is very close in price to a new one.

Help Support Us

Become a patron