tale of woe and lost passwords, et. al

rdtindsm

Jan 30, 2008
I went to cuenca ecuador several weeks ago. I needed some dental work and I wanted to check the city out as a possible place to move to. On the way down, I lost my billfold in Des Moines, then my computer in Houston. The computer had ALL my contact information on it, so I couldn't contact the person in Cuenca that had made my appointments. Most of my contacts recognize my computer and log me in automatically, so I don't need the passwords for things like facebook and in particular my yahoo.mail account. Although my passwords use a limited number of similar themes, but I haven't been able to guess the password. I have been able to get a new account
key which seems to be oriented towards smartphones and doesn't work.

How do I get a new password? It doesn't help that microsoft seems to be using a new set of interfaces and expects me to go through a microsoft account. The irony is that I got new passwords for my bank accounts with minimal hassle.

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
1.) Don't drink so much when you travel. 2.) It would have been cheaper to get dental insurance and have work done in the US. 3.) Have an emergency back up for all your crap.

• Winner
Reactions: wxman1

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Lots of people leave the US for dental work these days. Cheaper even with insurance. Most dental policies don't pay for jack and its still cheaper to go overseas. Have heard of Costa Rica a lot but not Ecuador as much. How did it go, besides losing all of your information?

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Lots of people leave the US for dental work these days. Cheaper even with insurance. Most dental policies don't pay for jack and its still cheaper to go overseas. Have heard of Costa Rica a lot but not Ecuador as much. How did it go, besides losing all of your information?

Well this is useful information. Son is a grad student and gets health insurance but not dental. He is covered on ours at the moment, but since my husband is a state worker, none of us will probably have dental in a year. Now curious about the best country to go to for dental.

rdtindsm

Jan 30, 2008
I was going to have implants put in. It was enough cheaper to come close to paying for the trip. $40 for deep cleaning. $1000 per implant, about half US price.

Cuenca has a large ex-pat community and the cost of living is such that I can afford to live there on my $1500 budget. I was actually planning on staying there for 5 weeks to get a feel for the area any problems with the lack of Spanish. That evened up the balance sheet a bit, but the problems totally made it a horrible trip.

Cuenca was a colonial capital with several examples of attractive architecture, including several churches. It is at an elevation of perhaps 8000', tmperatures are moderate and vary 15-20 deg.summer to winter. Country is friendly to expats and retirees can buy into a good health care system.

I only have a land line. Am more of recluse than I want to admit. Have owned a couple trac phones and never used them.

I rarely drink more than one beer in a day. But when I was in Nepal, beers were generally 24 oz bottles, just enough to keep me happy ;'<)

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Here is a fairly recent article from Clark Howard. Seems like he has one call a week on Dental Tourism.

http://www.clark.com/ways-to-afford-dental-care-fixed-income

If you need some really expensive surgery, it can often be cheaper to go out of the country for the job. Hungary and Costa Rica, in particular, are hot spots for cheap reconstructive dental procedures. The savings can be extraordinary--up to 75%. If you are considering going overseas for a procedure, check first with the Joint Commission International to see which facilities are fully accredited.

Reactions: carvers4math

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
How do we even know this is actually the OP? This could be some Jaime Pollard-esque smoke screen by a random person in Houston with the laptop. Perhaps putting a crafty swerve on the internet trail. Just sayin'...

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I was going to have implants put in. It was enough cheaper to come close to paying for the trip. $40 for deep cleaning. $1000 per implant, about half US price.

Cuenca has a large ex-pat community and the cost of living is such that I can afford to live there on my $1500 budget. I was actually planning on staying there for 5 weeks to get a feel for the area any problems with the lack of Spanish. That evened up the balance sheet a bit, but the problems totally made it a horrible trip.

Cuenca was a colonial capital with several examples of attractive architecture, including several churches. It is at an elevation of perhaps 8000', tmperatures are moderate and vary 15-20 deg.summer to winter. Country is friendly to expats and retirees can buy into a good health care system.

I only have a land line. Am more of recluse than I want to admit. Have owned a couple trac phones and never used them.

I rarely drink more than one beer in a day. But when I was in Nepal, beers were generally 24 oz bottles, just enough to keep me happy ;'<)

I'm WAY INTRIGUED with what you're doing (not the dental work but the ex-pat stuff). My fear has always been the "comforts" of home like speaking the language, knowing the laws, customs, etc... but know enough people that are comfortable with that.

Belize and Panama are both mentioned by a few of my friends who look into these things.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I'm still trying to figure out how you lost your wallet and laptop on the same day.

Read the other post. His wallet it attached like a necklace under his shirt. I can't figure out how you lose that. Do you lift your shirt up when you need to use a credit card? Doesn't he have a friend or family member in the US that can call instead of the bike shop?

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

Yeah it may be cheaper but my fear would be dirty equipment. Those types of countries don't have the same sanitary standards as we do and the last thing I want is some disease from un-sterile equipment.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
You should get out more. These countries are doing ok. Plus they are only going to the "rich" doctors (think about the US$ money that is being spent in these "poorer" countries) in these countries that are fully accredited. My MIL actually had a brother (I think that's correct) who became an expat in Ecuador. If I had a good chunk money I'd seriously consider a development in Argentina.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I don't really have a strong opinion on going to third world countries for medical procedures. . .

But usually when you set up an email you have to enter a phone number and/or other email address for such recovery things.

I bet if you post up the address, and a few details about yourself we could figure out your password!
vauEUgn.gif

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron