Underwood to Illinois - Prohm Now Lowest Paid

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
It seems like this needs to be said explicitly: CPR got a 10-year deal because other schools were coming for him, and ISU couldn't/wouldn't match the $ per year. Instead, we gave him a below-market salary with an above-market duration, getting the similar guaranteed dollars. Hindsight 20/20 and whatnot, but I get cold sweats imagining the freakout on this board if Pollard hadn't retained him because we didn't match salary.

Also: coaching salaries are going to continue to grow by insane amounts until the TV money bubble bursts (2025?) and/or the athletes are slowed compensation. Be prepared for this to be an annual event for football and basketball.

Coaches should be treated like spouses. When you find the right one you do everything in your power to make them feel loved and appreciated. New coach hires are expensive as are divorces and you may not know what you had until its gone. In this case I think we DO know what we have and should do everything to keep that love growing.

For the people who say wait until we see what his players do. We'll his players THIS year were instrumental in our run thanks to DJ, Bowie, Holden and the development of the others.

Pay the man Shirley and let him know we love HIM.

Last edited:

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Maybe this has been mentioned, but with all the people saying we need to pay him $3 mil do we even know that we can afford it? Hoiberg's last contract was less than that and I remember JP saying that was our max. Has our situation changed in those few years? I hope so, because I'd love to pay Prohm whatever it takes to keep his mind set in Ames.

Take the $3mm out of it. Pay him similar to the top 3-4 other coaches in the league. If that's $3mm than thats what he's worth Then it's up to JP to make the value decision or better yet our fanbase to make the value decision and pony up the money.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Maybe this has been mentioned, but with all the people saying we need to pay him $3 mil do we even know that we can afford it? Hoiberg's last contract was less than that and I remember JP saying that was our max. Has our situation changed in those few years? I hope so, because I'd love to pay Prohm whatever it takes to keep his mind set in Ames.
With what we've spent on non-revenue sports head coaches I'm thinking so. You don't pay above average in those to go cheap in MBB.

How long ago was Hoiberg's contract?

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Doubtful, as CPR never coached ISU to the Sweet 16, a Big 12 title, the best conference record in 16 years, had a top 10 recruiting class, and so on.

Nevertheless, no one is saying extend Prohm 10 years. The CPR contract wasn't a mistake, but even more so it's irrelevant to Prohm.

Don't apply your 9-5 experience to P5 coaching.

I want to see how Prohm does with actual players that he has recruited.

Same stupid people thought A-Rods $29.5 million salary would be the new normal.

If I am going to pay astronomical money then I actually want a Bill Self, or a Roy Williams.

Prohm had a nice end to this season but when we were 13-8 we were ready to open the door wider for him to exit.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Coaches should be treated like spouses. When you find the right one you do everything in your power to make them feel loved and appreciated. New coach hires are expensive as are divorces and you may not know what you had until its gone. In this case I think we DO know what we have and should do everything to keep that love growing.

For the people who say wait until we see what his players do. We'll his players THIS year were instrumental in our run thanks to DJ, Bowie, Holden and the development of the others.

Pay the man Shirley and let him know we love HIM.
Agree.

The risk-reward isn't great in telling Prohm to wait. If he succeeds next year we likely are paying even more or losing him. If we have a bad year, the extra savings from not increasing now doesn't really help- JP is not firing him in the next two year no matter what. Then there's also the issue with recruiting with only 3 years remaining. Stormin is chasing pennies at the risk of disaster. I seriously wonder if he'd refuse spending $1000 dollars on a few $100 lottery tickets each with 50/50 odds of winning a $1 million

Last edited:

RedlineSi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Twin Cities
Prohm still came into a hard situation and coached the hell out of these guys. He deserves an extension and raise. Add on 2 more years and make it $2.5. If he does well in the next 2, then he gets the $3 million area and more years. That's my 2 cents.

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009
With what we've spent on non-revenue sports head coaches I'm thinking so. You don't pay above average in those to go cheap in MBB.

How long ago was Hoiberg's contract?

I'm not sure, but I think it was the year before he left so 3 years ago. I think we've gotten new Big XII money in that time? Also the expansion of Johnny's and the SEZ could be making difference too.

• Useful
Reactions: Stormin

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Agree.

The risk-reward isn't great in telling Prohm to wait. If he succeeds next year we likely are paying even more or losing him. If we have a bad year, the extra savings from not increasing now doesn't really help- JP is not firing him in the next two year no matter what. Then there's also the issue with recruiting with only 3 years remaining. Stormin is chasing pennies at the risk of disaster. I seriously wonder if he'd refuse spending $1000 dollars on a few $100 lottery tickets each with 50/50 odds of winning a $1 million

Talk of paying Prohm $3 million is premature and actually pretty stupid. He is under contract and ISU is a great job. Paying exorbitant salaries does not guarantee results. If Prohm leaves, so be it. Prohm is 42 years old. For his experience he is being paid very well. I trust in Pollard. You might give Prohm a small bump and extension. But you just don't open the vault.

I remember everyone thinking we were through when Fred left. Hope Fred is happy with the Bulls. Not sure the Bulls are happy with Fred.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
With the market being set for 2017, You need to pay him very close, if not, 3 mil per. Extend 2 more years as well.

RedlineSi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Twin Cities
Talk of paying Prohm $3 million is premature and actually pretty stupid. He is under contract and ISU is a great job. Paying exorbitant salaries does not guarantee results. If Prohm leaves, so be it. Prohm is 42 years old. For his experience he is being paid very well. I trust in Pollard. You might give Prohm a small bump and extension. But you just don't open the vault.

I remember everyone thinking we were through when Fred left. Hope Fred is happy with the Bulls. Not sure the Bulls are happy with Fred.

You couldn't be more wrong.

iowastatefan1929

Oct 26, 2006
hmm i think prohm is going to have a really good year at some point; like a final four run but a few years before and after could really leave the natives restless. who knows i think prohm is very sharp but somewhat of a slow thinker at times.

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009
i think prohm is very sharp but somewhat of a slow thinker at times.

That's ok. In game coaching I think is vastly overrated when it comes to what makes a good coach. Almost entirely when it comes to actual games, it's up to the players. 99% of the coaches job is done before and in between.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
You couldn't be more wrong.

Prohm is under contract. And per that contract, his buyout right now is $2,475,000. Let's not pretend we've got him locked up.

I think this is a nice hypothetical exercise, but if he's declining discussion with LSU, and if Pollard's history is anything to go by, the raise and extension are probably about done, and will be announced shortly.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006

If I am going to pay astronomical money then I actually want a Bill Self, or a Roy Williams.

Prohm had a nice end to this season but when we were 13-8 we were ready to open the door wider for him to exit.
Same stupid people? Based on what evidence?

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I think stormin clearly doesn't understand that no one is saying that prohm should be highest paid in country. But that he should be paid market rate.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx

And if he leaves, you're good with that?

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa

Yes the money is there. The money was there for Fred if he wanted it. It was there if needed when CSP was hired. ISU could have got him for less then but chose to pay him more. They know they are on the low end with him and he will get bumped up.