Just a general question about President Leath

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
All of the reasons mentioned plus I've heard (about 4th hand so I don't fully believe everything) that he doesn't like anyone questioning him and wants as many "yes-sir" people around him as possible. I'm a much bigger fan of collaborative leaders personally.

I don't dislike him - just not sure he fit into the Iowa state mold. That said Geoffrey left some pretty big shoes to fill.

• Agree
Reactions: ripvdub

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
They weren't? My son knew one whom he competed with in sports in high school from a neighboring town who was expelled.
First I've heard of any expulsions, and I say that in all honesty. It doesn't change my opinion, however, because I see VEISHA from the point of view of the departmental displays and the food booths that raise money for clubs to travel to meetings or competitions, or bring in speakers. I saw a lot of hard work get negated because some students insist that VEISHA is synonymous with Bacchanalian excess. That was what needed to be addressed, and it wasn't solved by cancelling the daytime events.

Land Shark

Apr 6, 2006
Question, guys ... I have noticed on social media and here for the most part that it appears like the overwhelming reaction to Leath moving on is happiness ...

Is this just about the plane thing? VEISHIA? What's the biggest reason for this in your opinion?

I never really got to know him. I tried but he never seemed interested, which is fine. Just curious as to how fans/alums feel about this.

Also, what are you hoping for from here?

We just allowed a witch hunt to chase off the most pro-athletics president in the history of this school. For what? Stupid Veishea (I was on a committee for this when I was in school).

You people have no idea the risk that is being taken now. We have allowed our athletics future to be in the hands of what quite frankly looks to be an inept BOR and we are doing it at a time when state reps from the eastern side of the state want to do everything possible to slow ISU's growth in EVERY possible area. What if we are given an academic who is anti athletics? What if the new hire does not approve of higher coaching salaries and financing for athletics facilities? What if this hire does not get along with JP and causes him to leave?(which happens often when schools name new presidents)

If you were here during the God awful Gordon Eaton years- you will understand. If you were not, just be prepared for a potential disastrous hire because there is a groundswell of legislators in DSM who would LOVE to see ISU with such a hire. Considering Whitver did NOTHING to assist ISU with appropriate funding two years ago- (he voted against it) he really is not helping us much either.

Veishea is dead, it is never coming back. IF this hire is screwed up, ISU athletics may be in the same boat. It is time to be concerned

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
I think concerns about whoever the new president in caring about athletics are misguided. The value of having a successful AD is so much more clear than it was even 10 years ago. Whoever it is will care about having good sports programs. We should be more concerned about how they'll lead the academic side of the university and how good of a leader they'll be.

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
Question, guys ... I have noticed on social media and here for the most part that it appears like the overwhelming reaction to Leath moving on is happiness ...

Is this just about the plane thing? VEISHIA? What's the biggest reason for this in your opinion?

I never really got to know him. I tried but he never seemed interested, which is fine. Just curious as to how fans/alums feel about this.

Also, what are you hoping for from here?
For a lot of reason he seemed 1. Slimy/opportunistic.
2. A reactionary on issues to which ever way the wind was swaying.
3. An arrogant prick who thought he was above the rules.

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
I think it is a loss for Iowa State. Compare Iowa State's position today to 2012. It has grown into the state's most prominent school by enrollment. Fundraising is excellent. Jack Trice was bowled in. New buildings have gone up across campus. Tuition is still low relative to peers. ISU was one of the few schools in the country to add the number of faculty members that it did a few years back. For one year, I think Iowa State added the most faculty members of any power conference school.

I understand why people are glad that he is leaving. Bubu and VEISHEA were very visible examples that some disagreed with. "Planegate" was handled poorly regardless of whether you think it is overblown. But overall Leath was a good president. We could do far, far worse. I hope that we do not with his replacement, but I am not very confident after the BOR's hiring of Harreld at UI.
I agree with all of this and still can't stand him. He did do a good job on all the metrics but was a ****. He is like the employee you have that you can't stand but gets the job done. You wouldn't fire him but it doesn't mean you are upset when they leave either.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I do. I also remember more good stuff than bad over the 30+ years I've been here...and the riot complaints never touch on the fact that the rioters weren't punished...the kids who spent time building displays, preparing foods, setting up programs and performances, etc, were punished.

News cycle is less impressed when things go as planned. But you burn a few couches, cop cars, wreck some stuff, have a player manhandle a sign and all of a sudden it's interesting.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
We just allowed a witch hunt to chase off the most pro-athletics president in the history of this school. For what? Stupid Veishea (I was on a committee for this when I was in school).

You people have no idea the risk that is being taken now. We have allowed our athletics future to be in the hands of what quite frankly looks to be an inept BOR and we are doing it at a time when state reps from the eastern side of the state want to do everything possible to slow ISU's growth in EVERY possible area. What if we are given an academic who is anti athletics? What if the new hire does not approve of higher coaching salaries and financing for athletics facilities? What if this hire does not get along with JP and causes him to leave?(which happens often when schools name new presidents)

If you were here during the God awful Gordon Eaton years- you will understand. If you were not, just be prepared for a potential disastrous hire because there is a groundswell of legislators in DSM who would LOVE to see ISU with such a hire. Considering Whitver did NOTHING to assist ISU with appropriate funding two years ago- (he voted against it) he really is not helping us much either.

Veishea is dead, it is never coming back. IF this hire is screwed up, ISU athletics may be in the same boat. It is time to be concerned
There will be no disaster - it will be an improvement. If Provost Wickert applies, and it's a 99% chance that he will, he will get the job. He is an avid Cyclone sports fan, goes to football, basketball, and volleyball games, and is fully aware of the importance of athletics on a university, particularly in fundraising.

• Agree
Reactions: Land Shark

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA

If you go back to some CSP posts when we was hired, there was quite the gnashing of teeth worrying about his religion and requiring players to pray and this is a public institution and if he didn't understand, blahblahblah. What if NONE of the things keeping you up at night comes to pass?

Good to get it out of your system now and t-up the criticism rather than wait to see how it plays out. But I'm big on keeping my powder dry until something real happens. And then it usually amounts to a fart in India.

• Funny
Reactions: stateofmind

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
I'm ok with the move. I don't like leath. The land deal was shady. And plane gate was annoying. He didn't seem trust worthy.

Maybe only concern about him leaving is how they ****** up the Iowa president search.

I disproved this in the original thread. Don't know how to look it up. I will give you the cliff notes version.....part of the farm was enrolled in the Wetland Reserve Program (WRP) in which the previous owner made part of the farm a wetland reserve for wildlife forever. In return the previous owner received a lump sum payment, and the acres enrolled are tax exempt going forward. So, for round numbers and an example, someone buys a 100 acre farm for $500,000. Let's say the farm has 50 acres enrolled in WRP and 50 acres that are crop land or usable taxable land on the tax roll. Divide the $500,000 over 50 acres = $10,000 per acre, a more than fair price. Divide the $500,000 over the 100 actual acres that are there (even though 50 of the acres are worthless due to being in WRP) and the farm sold for $5,000 per acre. This is what made it look like a back-room good ole boy deal.

Was it a mistake to buy a farm from Rastetter/his investment group? Probably. But he didn't get a deal on it like the media wanted everyone to think.

JaCyn

Mar 18, 2017
His departure is a good thing for ISU. He embodies everything that ISU is NOT - privileged, entitled, exempt from the rules, good ole boy network, etc.

True leaders lead by example, and he set the worst example possible. Now that his cronies Branstad and Rastetter have flown the coup, he knew there was nobody around anymore to cover his behind, so he bolted at the first opportunity.

Integrity means something, and I hope our next president is full of it!

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I disproved this in the original thread. Don't know how to look it up. I will give you the cliff notes version.....part of the farm was enrolled in the Wetland Reserve Program (WRP) in which the previous owner made part of the farm a wetland reserve for wildlife forever. In return the previous owner received a lump sum payment, and the acres enrolled are tax exempt going forward. So, for round numbers and an example, someone buys a 100 acre farm for $500,000. Let's say the farm has 50 acres enrolled in WRP and 50 acres that are crop land or usable taxable land on the tax roll. Divide the $500,000 over 50 acres = $10,000 per acre, a more than fair price. Divide the $500,000 over the 100 actual acres that are there (even though 50 of the acres are worthless due to being in WRP) and the farm sold for $5,000 per acre. This is what made it look like a back-room good ole boy deal.

Was it a mistake to buy a farm from Rastetter/his investment group? Probably. But he didn't get a deal on it like the media wanted everyone to think.

I don't necessarily think he paid too little but I do think it was stupid and shady to buy land in secret from his boss. Very bad judgement.

JaCyn

Mar 18, 2017
Sorry new to this. Wanted to write "every professor ever" under that.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012

Athletics aren't the primary function of ISU. They are a fun sidebar to the ISU experience, Between Veishea, plane gate and overall arrogance I'm not sad to see him go. I do agree that it really important to make a good hire for this position who will defend ISU in the legislature.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
I've had multiple people tell me that there are others at the ISU Foundation that are much more responsible for the increase in fundraising than Leath is.

To answer your question Chris- for me it was the denial and cover up in planegate that turned me off. I'd add that him bailing when things got tough speaks volumes about his true character,

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
All of the reasons mentioned plus I've heard (about 4th hand so I don't fully believe everything) that he doesn't like anyone questioning him and wants as many "yes-sir" people around him as possible. I'm a much bigger fan of collaborative leaders personally.

I don't dislike him - just not sure he fit into the Iowa state mold. That said Geoffrey left some pretty big shoes to fill.

I know a former graduate student of his from NCSU...the bold is a fair assessment.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron