Underwood to Illinois - Prohm Now Lowest Paid

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I'd love to see him get it. I'd also like to be in the room if his agent threw out that line to Jamie Pollard.

It's not a matter of "if." It's going to happen. Prohm's agent would be a fool not to reference it and reference it often. Every offer that gets thrown out will be compared to the Underwood contract, as it rightly should. Pollard's job is to argue that Underwood's contract is an aberration, and not deserved. But even so, Prohm's negotiating position is strengthened by Underwood going to Illinois. He's got much better leverage than he did a week ago, and that's not news to anyone who is involved.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
It's not a matter of "if." It's going to happen.... Pollard's job is to argue that Underwood's contract is an aberration, and not deserved. But even so, Prohm's negotiating position is strengthened by Underwood going to Illinois.....

Not arguing any of the negotiating tactics, effects of the Underwood deal, or CSP's leverage. That is all obvious.
You've said the new deal wouldn't necessarily come in at $3 million/yr. I agree.

My guess is that Jamie will not pony up more than $2.5/ yr. for 3 years. But who knows? Maybe the Leath news allows for a bigger number to get rubber stamped. I hope so.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Not arguing any of the negotiating tactics, effects of the Underwood deal, or CSP's leverage. That is all obvious.
You've said the new deal wouldn't necessarily come in at $3 million/yr. I agree.

My guess is that Jamie will not pony up more than $2.5/ yr. for 3 years. But who knows? Maybe the Leath news allows for a bigger number to get rubber stamped. I hope so.
Prohm is in it for the long haul and will be locked up soon.

Hypothetically, If we were to lose an established coach of MBB or FB that's had success and go through a transition over 500k/yr, JP greatly failed.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006

I'd hope $2.5 would get the job done. It would be a big raise, separate him from the dregs of the conference, and be more than the reported $2.2 million offer that Underwood is reported to have found insulting. I hope it would do the trick. We're in the big leagues, now. Or at least bigger than we have been. 6 straight tournaments is a level of success that many other schools don't achieve. It's great to be here, but it comes with a price. And if we're not willing to pay it, we won't be here for long.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Prohm is in it for the long haul and will be locked up soon.

Hypothetically, If we were to lose an established coach of MBB or FB that's had success and go through a transition over 500k/yr, JP greatly failed.

This. Pollard just spent a bunch of cash on the Wrestling program, that he'll never see a return on. He'd be silly to quibble over spending that much money on a program that actually makes money for the University.

• Agree
Reactions: carvers4math

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I would like to see a heavier incentive contract like Campbell has. Make the NCAA an expectation. Next two years are defining year so. I like coach Prohm, but these next two years will prove his salt completely. Give him a 500K bump and good incentives for tourney, conference, NCAA and sweet sixteens.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I would like to see a heavier incentive contract like Campbell has. Make the NCAA an expectation. Next two years are defining year so. I like coach Prohm, but these next two years will prove his salt completely. Give him a 500K bump and good incentives for tourney, conference, NCAA and sweet sixteens.
That's not how it works with successful P5 coaches. Even if he accepts it now, that type of FU gets you an Underwood situation.

Again, it's better to risk another 500k a year than to go through a transition. The cost of replacement at this point is very high. We'd have to spend above 2.5 to even have a chance at maintaining.

• Agree
Reactions: riceville98

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

You can't afford to have guys "prove their salt" when they already have as other ADs look at them. LSU isn't hiring any chumps and if they're reaching out, others see him. You can't afford to sit around and match offers. Maybe you will get away with it once or twice but sooner or later, guys start to ask just how much of a priority they are. I can see what Kennedy has done after he left Prohm and I can see what happened to Murray after he left and every indication tells me that he's a good coach, maybe even a great one. We have to take the chance that he is and we have to pay him good money right now.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I'd say a new $2.3-$2.5 mil, 5 year contract is the least we should do considering that's the baseline for entry level, new coaches these days. Prohm still needs to show he can win with his players before we pay him top 3-4 Big 12 money IMO.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
We really need to see how next year goes before extending Prohm and paying $3 million per year. Just because Illinois paid that kind of money is insane for us to do it.
That's how it works, though. Doesn't matter if Underwood deserved it or not. It's all about keeping up with the Jones' in this business. Once the market price gets set, the rabbit doesn't go back in the hat. And if you try to put it back in, you end up looking for a new rabbit.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
We really need to see how next year goes before extending Prohm and paying $3 million per year. Just because Illinois paid that kind of money is insane for us to do it.

Are you thinking $2.5? If Prohm let it be known he had an opportunity to get $3 million elsewhere you are insane to let him walk, particularly if $2.5 is acceptable. What do you think the cost of replacement would be? I love ISU, but if places like MU and UI are paying north of $3 million for a halfway "proven " coach, that's AT LEAST the starting point. Now factor in the cost of the risk of a second transition in three years at the WORST possible time.

This isn't shopping for your groceries based on value, nor is it investing. And it's certainly not ISU FB.

It's ISU MBB and you don't **** with that over 500k. Welcome to the big leagues. You overpay and overextend.

*for any potential recruit out there, Prohm will undoubtedly be at ISU for a long time...and to Morris, Georges, and Co, he sends you his thanks.

Last edited:

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
You never fail to misunderstand this topic.

Are you thinking $2.5? If Prohm let it be known he had an opportunity to get $3 million elsewhere you are insane to let him walk, particularly if $2.5 is acceptable. What do you think the cost of replacement would be? I love ISU, but if places like MU and UI are paying north of $3 million for a halfway "proven " coach, that's AT LEAST the starting point. Now factor in the cost of the risk of a second transition in three years at the WORST possible time.

This isn't shopping for your GD groceries based on value, nor is it investing. And it's certainly not ISU FB.

It's ISU MBB and you don't **** with that over 500k. Welcome to the big leagues. You overpay and overextend.

*for any potential recruit out there, Prohm will undoubtedly be at ISU for a long time...and to Morris, Georges, and Co, he sends you his thanks.

Same things said in 2011 and extending CPR's contract.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Same things said in 2011 and extending CPR's contract.
Doubtful, as CPR never coached ISU to the Sweet 16, a Big 12 title, the best conference record in 16 years, had a top 10 recruiting class, and so on.

Nevertheless, no one is saying extend Prohm 10 years. The CPR contract wasn't a mistake, but even more so it's irrelevant to Prohm.

Don't apply your 9-5 experience to P5 coaching.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
It seems like this needs to be said explicitly: CPR got a 10-year deal because other schools were coming for him, and ISU couldn't/wouldn't match the $ per year. Instead, we gave him a below-market salary with an above-market duration, getting the similar guaranteed dollars. Hindsight 20/20 and whatnot, but I get cold sweats imagining the freakout on this board if Pollard hadn't retained him because we didn't match salary.

Also: coaching salaries are going to continue to grow by insane amounts until the TV money bubble bursts (2025?) and/or the athletes are slowed compensation. Be prepared for this to be an annual event for football and basketball.

• Agree
Reactions: Cat Stevens

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009
Maybe this has been mentioned, but with all the people saying we need to pay him $3 mil do we even know that we can afford it? Hoiberg's last contract was less than that and I remember JP saying that was our max. Has our situation changed in those few years? I hope so, because I'd love to pay Prohm whatever it takes to keep his mind set in Ames.