Underwood to Illinois - Prohm Now Lowest Paid

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
From Peterson's article.

"There were rumblings at the Midwest Regional in Milwaukee last week that Prohm’s people said thanks but no thanks when LSU’s people reached out to gauge Prohm’s interest in moving from Ames to Baton Rouge, La."
This would be cool if true. LSU seems like a place he would consider going if geography was an issue. Decent basketball tradition for the the southeast and an athletic department swimming in money but where football is king.

I've always thought the best place to coach was where there was a combination of a LOT of money but you were the coach of the opposite program that everyone really cared about. North Carolina or Kentucky football, Florida or Ohio State basketball for example.

Randy does like to make stuff up where he can have real vague sources to fit his script though. It could have been the rumbling from his stomach because it was 5:15 and he hadn't eaten yet.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
This would be cool if true. LSU seems like a place he would consider going if geography was an issue. Decent basketball tradition for the the southeast and an athletic department swimming in money but where football is king.

I've always thought the best place to coach was where there was a combination of a LOT of money but you were the coach of the opposite program that everyone really cared about. North Carolina or Kentucky football, Florida or Ohio State basketball for example.

Randy does like to make stuff up where he can have real vague sources to fit his script though. It could have been the rumbling from his stomach because it was 5:15 and he hadn't eaten yet.
Double edged sword, Nebraska basketball

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
From Peterson's article.

"There were rumblings at the Midwest Regional in Milwaukee last week that Prohm’s people said thanks but no thanks when LSU’s people reached out to gauge Prohm’s interest in moving from Ames to Baton Rouge, La."

I think the consensus among ISU fans is that Steve is a guy that comes across as sincere because he's actually a sincere person. I firmly believe that he truly understands and appreciates what he has in Ames. The fact that he's been able to successfully recruit and win games in his first two seasons here is huge in keeping him here for the long-haul. Don't forget the fan support. The next step is to pay him and do that now. He's a top-tier Big 12 coach, but his salary says he's just ok. Fix that and we may never lose him.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

If that would have happened mid-season, I would have worried he was jumping the next flight down there. I just didn't think he was treated all that fairly by a vocal minority of people.

I said this before. I don't think money matters to Prohm. I think it matters that he is appreciated though. I don't think it's so much an ego thing as a wanting to be liked thing. I think he loves being here and loves all of the great things about ISU and as long as he feels like ISU cares that he stays, I don't see him looking around unless it's a Kentucky type of job. I just think, no matter what type of guy you are dealing with, it's in your best interest to make sure he's paid fairly so he doesn't have a reason to talk to someone else.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I think the consensus among ISU fans is that Steve is a guy that comes across as sincere because he's actually a sincere person. I firmly believe that he truly understands and appreciates what he has in Ames. The fact that he's been able to successfully recruit and win games in his first two seasons here is huge in keeping him here for the long-haul. Don't forget the fan support. The next step is to pay him and do that now. He's a top-tier Big 12 coach, but his salary says he's just ok. Fix that and we may never lose him.

He reminds me of John Beilein. Just very sincere, good people in a world full of not so great people.

RedlineSi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Twin Cities
I think as others have said, the long term situation maybe if the Mrs is still happy in Ames. No doubt Steve is a man of integrity. I don't think anyone would question that.

JRE1975

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 12, 2006
Lakewood Ranch, FL
There is no way Prohm should be making less than Beard at Texas Tech, but the other coaches in the league have a lot more experience than CSP. Jamie is smart and he will prioritize things for CSP to stay. I do know after watching Jamie and Steve's family interact at the hotel in KC at Big 12, they clearly really like each other.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
There is no way Prohm should be making less than Beard at Texas Tech, but the other coaches in the league have a lot more experience than CSP....

Agree. He is certainly worth more than Weber as well. The other guys have all won in current or past programs.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Agree. He is certainly worth more than Weber as well. The other guys have all won in current or past programs.
It's not really about what others have done elsewhere, it's about cost of replacement. That number is very high given transition cost,

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
It's not really about what others have done elsewhere, it's about cost of replacement. That number is very high given transition cost,

So what other Big 12 coaches' salary besides TT and KSU would you have CSP at?

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006

I'd be fine if he made more than Shaka. Shaka has shown little at the Power conference level, certainly less than Prohm, and is still riding the coattails of an improbable Final 4 run from 7 years ago.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Depends on Prohm. If he has a great agent, he could ask around 3 million and get that given the money out there in the SEC and BTN. We'd need match given we may struggle to find an adequate replacement for that rate, plus would have the cost of two transitions in 3 years.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I think one thing that helps ISU be slightly light compared to others is our track record with allowing time. CPR and KJ are examples to Prohm that 1-2 poor years will not sink you immediately. You have a chance to rebuild after a poor performance.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
I'd be fine if he made more than Shaka. Shaka has shown little at the Power conference level, certainly less than Prohm, and is still riding the coattails of an improbable Final 4 run from 7 years ago.

I agree that Shaka hasn't shown much of late and I'd love for CSP to bring down Shaka level money.
I'd be shocked, however, to see Jamie Pollard more than double CSP's contract to bring him at $3.1 million/yr.
Hope I'm wrong.

• Agree
Reactions: isu83

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I agree that Shaka hasn't shown much of late and I'd love for CSP to bring down Shaka level money.
I'd be shocked, however, to see Jamie Pollard more than double CSP's contract to bring him at $3.1 million/yr.
Hope I'm wrong.

I look at it this way. Illinois has set the market with Underwood. All of the involved parties know that. Doesn't matter if it's a good deal or a bad deal. The benchmark is out there. Underwood and Prohm are very comparable as coaches. Steve's agent is going to use that to negotiate.

So, it's not really a matter of which Big 12 coaches Prohm should be paid more than. It's what other schools might be willing to pay, that Pollard is going to be negotiating against. I'm not saying that $3 million is what the number needs to be, but I guarantee you the Underwood contract will be brought up many, many times in the negotiation process.

• Agree
Reactions: FinalFourCy

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
Hope I'm wrong.

Give him that amount, but for 3 years. If he continues to perform, then extend him when the time's right.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I look at it this way. Illinois has set the market with Underwood. All of the involved parties know that. Doesn't matter if it's a good deal or a bad deal. The benchmark is out there. Underwood and Prohm are very comparable as coaches. Steve's agent is going to use that to negotiate.

So, it's not really a matter of which Big 12 coaches Prohm should be paid more than. It's what other schools might be willing to pay, that Pollard is going to be negotiating against. I'm not saying that $3 million is what the number needs to be, but I guarantee you the Underwood contract will be brought up many, many times in the negotiation process.
Agree, if Prohm stays for less than 3 he's giving us a discount

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron