MONDAY MUSINGS: Donovan Jackson vows to take wheel of ISU program

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
There were times this year when we actually got better when Donovan subbed in for Monte or one of the other guards. That's no slight on them as it may have been match up based, or change of pace based, and the relative line ups are impossible to compare. But it happened, and I always looked forward to him entering the game down the stretch.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
We've got limited experience coming back, but we do have 3 players that played pretty substantial minutes with guys that showed them how it's done on AND off the court. It's up to Jackson, Babb and Young to take what they learned from the "Big 4" and carry it forward.

We're going to take a step back as a team next year. How big a step back we take as a program is dependent on how well these guys can lead and carry the torch with the lessons they've learned and what the coaching staff brings in.

• Agree
Reactions: cyhiphopp

blutarsky

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2010
St. Paul, MN
Jackson had a great year. The hype was there early, but he had to earn PT and ended the season as a great 6th man spark plug. As for next season he just needs to be Donovan. He doesn't need to be Monte Morris. Prohm will land some complimentary pieces for this team next season to help. I think the expectation will be low, but this team will exceed and thrive off the disrespect.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Love to hear those comments regarding learning from the seniors, and continuing. Culture building right there, and if he does that he helps lead and teach the next group, who then.... does the same.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Jackson had a great year. The hype was there early, but he had to earn PT and ended the season as a great 6th man spark plug. As for next season he just needs to be Donovan. He doesn't need to be Monte Morris. Prohm will land some complimentary pieces for this team next season to help. I think the expectation will be low, but this team will exceed and thrive off the disrespect.

The wrist injury set him back, too. Once that healed and he got comfortable with his role, he was off and running.

Next year's team could thrive being the underdog. I'm not so blindly optimistic as to think they won't struggle at times, especially early in the season. But I do think there's enough talent coming back along with the new faces that Prohm can cobble together a pretty good team by March.

• Agree
Reactions: riceville98

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
I'm certainly not saying we can't make a 7th straight tournament appearance, but I'm also realistic that it will be very tough to do so. (Unless an impact grad transfer or two come our way, we are talking inexperience unlike we've seen for quite a while.) As soon as I reflect on my hopes, my mind wanders to this year's Texas team. Plenty of talent, but it was very hard for them to win consistently. Something tells me a pure 'shooter' like Matt has already signed by now or also not transferring. But there's always hope, I guess.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I'm certainly not saying we can't make a 7th straight tournament appearance, but I'm also realistic that it will be very tough to do so. (Unless an impact grad transfer or two come our way, we are talking inexperience unlike we've seen for quite a while.) As soon as I reflect on my hopes, my mind wanders to this year's Texas team. Plenty of talent, but it was very hard for them to win consistently. Something tells me a pure 'shooter' like Matt has alread signed by now or also not transferring. But there's always hope, I guess.
UT had a huge hole at PG. combine that with poor perimeter shooting, and they were doomed to fail. I see ISU similar in personnel to TCU this year.
Juiston would change everything, and I'd be chugging Koolaid.
As for Jackson, I've been a huge fan of his since the Miami game, and definitely after the Big 12 opener vs Tech. I think the ball will be in his hands a lot, with good results.

Reactions: MartinCy

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
UT had a huge hole at PG. combine that with poor perimeter shooting, and they were doomed to fail. I see ISU similar in personnel to TCU this year.
Juiston would change everything, and I'd be chugging Koolaid.
As for Jackson, I've been a huge fan of his since the Miami game, and definitely after the Big 12 opener vs Tech. I think the ball will be in his hands a lot, with good results.
Get Juiston and find our Vladimir Brodziansky and we can be! And with Hilton Magic behind us we'll turn their close losses into wins and make the tournament. Wigginton as Fisher. Jackson as Robinson. Babb and Lewis as Williams and Bane. Young as JD Miller. Lard as Shepherd.

I'm hoping we can have as good of roster. It's a bit sombering to think a roster and coach like that didn't make it. They had talent, some experience, an a good coach.

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
We still have three scholarships currently available. People forget that. Land Juiston and a high impact transfer and expectations suddenly start to change.

Wigginton may very well end up being a five star recruit. Pair him with Jackson and that's a pretty electric backcourt.

Look for NWB to look like a different player next year. The guy has the same body and athleticism as Josh Hart from Villanova. I'm not saying he will turn into an All American but I expect him to improve. Huge upside potential with him.

Four Star Terrence Lewis will provide depth in the backcourt.

Solomon Young and four star freshman Cameron Lard in the frontcourt. Man we need Juiston and another impact transfer to pair with those guys.

If it happens I think this young team could surprise a lot of people.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I am very encouraged by his comments. Doneven is very talented. But we will miss the leadership of the 4 seniors more than we know. So I'm glad that he appears to have taken what monte did to heart.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Get Juiston and find our Vladimir Brodziansky and we can be! And with Hilton Magic behind us we'll turn their close losses into wins and make the tournament. Wigginton as Fisher. Jackson as Robinson. Babb and Lewis as Williams and Bane. Young as JD Miller. Lard as Shepherd.

I'm hoping we can have as good of roster. It's a bit sombering to think a roster and coach like that didn't make it. They had talent, some experience, an a good coach.
As you point out they had SO many close losses. In fact if one of their guards could a big 3 like DJ, they would've been in for sure.

Now lets get Juiston and start chugging koolaid all the way to tourney #7!

CyHans

Apr 28, 2010
The senior leadership is why we had the come from behind victories and won the close ones. Jackson will be THE man next year and it'll be his team so what he does with it will depend on how strong of a leader he can be.

• Agree
Reactions: riceville98