Vehicle Shopping advice

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
huge fan of suburbans. Hard to beat for versatility (can tow, haul, transport, etc) and used ones are fairly reasonbly priced. I have a 2000 1500 4x4, and my gf has a 2002 Yukon XL 1500 4x4, and they are both extremely handy with kids, dogs, firewood, towing quads/dirtbikes, etc....

My 2009 Grand Caravan does all of that too. It's rated to tow like 5000 lbs. Not a lot, but it can certainly handle a small trailer. And I've used it to haul broken concrete to the dump, and 8 foot fence posts, and 4x8 sheet material. But I average over 20 mpg and fit into standard parking spaces.

Reactions: capitalcityguy

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Any advice on what van to get? been looking at 2016 dodge caravan because my mechanic recommended that is the "least electronically ran van". I see those are discontinued and now they are pacificas which my mechanic said not to get. He also said it is crazy the prices Honda and Toyota are charging for these vans. The problem with the electronics is they will all probably die before the engine.

Every modern car is highly controlled by computers and electronics. It's partly because of the electronic controls that they have improved reliability. Just about every car company makes a reliable product anymore - but when you make 1 million vehicles over the course of 2 - 3 years, even a 0.01% failure rate means that a few hundred people have stories about how terrible their car is and those people are most likely to write reviews and spout off on forums.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
My 2009 Grand Caravan does all of that too. It's rated to tow like 5000 lbs. Not a lot, but it can certainly handle a small trailer. And I've used it to haul broken concrete to the dump, and 8 foot fence posts, and 4x8 sheet material. But I average over 20 mpg and fit into standard parking spaces.
Features you must have?

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Just get another minivan. There is ZERO practical advantage in buying an SUV….ZERO…..doing so is simply done because you don’t want another minivan. It is an emotional decision.

SUV’s are extremely popular because we tend to be emotional, not practical, car buyers. Demand for SUVs are very high right now.

This means SUVs vs minivan tend to be higher priced and offer fewer reasons for a dealer to discount. Also besides paying more on the onset, compared to minivans, SUVs:

* tend to depreciate faster
* have higher insurance rates
* have higher maintenance costs

(waiting for someone to come in with the one-day-every-3-year- snow storm story that makes SUVs far superior).

Disclosure: we only have one kid, so we did ended up going with a compact SUV for our family. From a practical standpoint, it does fit better in our 2-stall garage and secondly, we simply don’t need that much room. That said, I would have gone with a comparable sized sedan and gotten the same amount of room and saved a couple thousand dollars, but I got vetoed from the wife because “she likes to sit up higher”. (again…emotional reasoning….but at some point a guy has to simply cut his losses and live to fight another day.)

Also, congrats on paying cash for your cars! I feel pretty certain had we financed our last purchase, we would have gone with the much performed Nissan Murano but because we’d saved for a car purchase and were intent on writing a check (painful!) , we ended up with the Nissan Rogue and in the end saved $10K plus.

Thanks for your input. What's your feeling on crossovers? I may also end up just getting a bigger car. We'll see. I only need to be able to take kids a short distance here and there. Our van does the long trips and my wife takes them around more than I do.

I also use this vehicle for work so don't really want to be taking clients/coworkers around in a minivan haha.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Any advice on what van to get? been looking at 2016 dodge caravan because my mechanic recommended that is the "least electronically ran van". I see those are discontinued and now they are pacificas which my mechanic said not to get. He also said it is crazy the prices Honda and Toyota are charging for these vans. The problem with the electronics is they will all probably die before the engine.

Look at the resale of the vans you have listed and that will give you a good idea of the quality of these vans. I always take mechanic recommendations with a grain of salt. Here are just a few examples:

#1 "least electronically van". What does this even mean? Just because a 1974 Chevy Nova is easy to work on doesn't mean it's reliable. Are we talking about electronics like seat heaters or are we talking about 10 speed auto transmissions?

#2 I'm going to take a wild guess that this person doesn't work at a Honda or Toyota dealership.

#3 I agree that Honda and Toyota prices are pretty expensive when you compare them to some domestics. Then two years later you realize that the Honda and Toyota are not so expensive when you factor in "true cost to own".

On a side note, I wouldn't buy an Odyssey right now when the new 2018 is coming out in a couple of months. I'm usually not big into buying first year models but Honda tends to use the same transmission/motor in multiple vehicles.

Last edited:

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
They still make Grand Caravans, I think Chrysler stopped selling their version which was the Town & Country and sells a Pacifica that looks like horrible mutant offspring of a minivan and a Chrysler Pacifica.

iowastatefan1929

Oct 26, 2006
Look at the resale of the vans you have listed and that will give you a good idea of the quality of these vans. I always take mechanic recommendations with a grain of salt. Here are just a few examples:

#1 "least electronically van". What does this even mean? Just because a 1974 Chevy Nova is easy to work on doesn't mean it's reliable. Are we talking about electronics like seat heaters or are we talking about 10 speed auto transmissions?

#2 I'm going to take a wild guess that this person doesn't work at a Honda or Toyota dealership.

#3 I agree that Honda and Toyota prices are pretty expensive when you compare them to some domestics. Then two years later you realize that the Honda and Toyota are not so expensive when you factor in "true cost to own".

#1 I have driven high mileage cars and have had to replace the window motors; seat motors; coolant sensors; gas cap sensors etc. Sick of replacing all that crap. The sensors and electronics are not outlasting the actual motors anymore.

#2 Independent

iowastatefan1929

Oct 26, 2006
Dont want camera in back
dont want keyless entry
dont want electronics except for what is needed to run the guts of the vehicle
want manual windows because when the break will be cheaper than having to replace the motors

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
Dont want camera in back
dont want keyless entry
dont want electronics except for what is needed to run the guts of the vehicle
want manual windows because when the break will be cheaper than having to replace the motors

In other words, you're looking for something like this:
beat-up-caravan.jpg

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Features you must have?

Some kind of rear entertainment system (though we only use it on drives of 2+ hours). We bought our van new and had the dealership install a ceiling mounted one rather than step up to the next trim level.

Getting the larger V6 (3.8) would have been nice, but the 3.3 is sufficient. I mean, it's a minivan.

The stow and go seats have been great. Everyone has a fold-in-floor third row now, but I think the Chrysler products are still the only one with it in the second row too.

We don't have the power sliders or power lift gate. It was novel when we had it in a rental Kia Sedona last year, but still not sure I'd pay much extra for it.

• Informative
Reactions: NATEizKING

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
#1 I have driven high mileage cars and have had to replace the window motors; seat motors; coolant sensors; gas cap sensors etc. Sick of replacing all that crap. The sensors and electronics are not outlasting the actual motors anymore.

#2 Independent

Would you rather be replacing the engine? Things break. If you buy used cars with tons of miles on them, more components are close to the end of their lives. That's why they are cheap.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
pretty sure the backup camera is now a law for new vehicles.

and who doesn't want keyless entry?! Useful as hell now when hands are full/keys are buried in a purse. Can't imagine how much more I'd love it when kids are around.

Sounds like a horse and buggy may be a better purchase for some.

Reactions: dmclone

Cybirdy

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Some kind of rear entertainment system (though we only use it on drives of 2+ hours). We bought our van new and had the dealership install a ceiling mounted one rather than step up to the next trim level.

Getting the larger V6 (3.8) would have been nice, but the 3.3 is sufficient. I mean, it's a minivan.

The stow and go seats have been great. Everyone has a fold-in-floor third row now, but I think the Chrysler products are still the only one with it in the second row too.

We don't have the power sliders or power lift gate. It was novel when we had it in a rental Kia Sedona last year, but still not sure I'd pay much extra for it.

For us an entertainment system is not a must. We just buy the cheap dual DVD players on Black Friday and use that.

For me being a mom and transporting kids 90% of the time, the power slide doors and lift gate are my #1 must have feature. Especially if you have kids under the age of 3.

The feature that has saved me more than once is if an interior light gets left on or a door left open, our van will counteract that so it won't wear the battery down. I would have had the jump our van before if that happened.

• Informative
Reactions: NATEizKING

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
pretty sure the backup camera is now a law for new vehicles.

and who doesn't want keyless entry?! Useful as hell now when hands are full/keys are buried in a purse. Can't imagine how much more I'd love it when kids are around.

Sounds like a horse and buggy may be a better purchase for some.
And who doesn't want a backup camera!? The backup camera and the rear cross traffic alert are probably my 2 favorite safety features on my wife's Highlander.

• Agree
Reactions: cowgirl836

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO
To clarify.

1. Our other vehicle is a van and is the primary vehicl my wife uses for the kids.

2. we will be able to buy either with cash. we have been saving.

Have you thought about a boat?
It looks like this would seat 10-12 comfortably. Summer is almost here.
I'm sure there are more reasons, but I can't think of any right now.

upload_2017-3-20_13-0-38.png

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
And who doesn't want a backup camera!? The backup camera and the rear cross traffic alert are probably my 2 favorite safety features on my wife's Highlander.

I think the only people that don't want a backup camera are the people who have never had a backup camera. They are awesome, especially for a larger vehicle. When I'm backing out of driveway, even though I know my son is inside, I feel way more comfortable being able to see behind me. Same goes for parking lots.