I have a little More Respect For Peter Jok

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I think it's funny that most fans think next year will be even better wo Jok. They have no idea how much they'll miss him and how his shooting opened everything up for others.
They keep signing big men and barely hAve any guards.

I know its a different situation, but it is striking at how different we react to our seniors careers being done and how they do. We are all heartbroken and sad when guys like Melvin and Georges and Abdel and the 4 guys this year are finished. They don't give a **** when Gessel and Basabee and Woody and Peter are finished and sometimes they are actually happy.

It would sort of be nice not to be sad today, but then again we wouldn't have experienced all of the fun and winning.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
as I recall Jok was pretty high on ISU before the incident with Lefty Moore. Not sure you could say he was a lock, as Iowa was after him early, but it became a mute point after Fred stopped recruiting him. I like that the players all like and respect each other better than some fans. In the end, they are just games.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Good reminder that while most of us fans can't stand the other fanbase, the players have pretty good relationships from playing in AAU circuits growing up.

Reactions: breck53

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
I had heard that he was Iowa's to lose, that ISU backed off and went after someone's else (don't remember who) as Pete was going to Iowa. Maybe that isn't right, but that is what I had heard.

See Dustin Hogue. Fran was strongly recruiting Hogue at Indian Hills. He picked Fred, and jok was offered and committed that weekend.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I always find it funny that the people that are in the fire and actually competing are also supposed to be the immature kids. The people that don't have to do anything but sit and watch for entertainment are supposed to be adults but when it comes to interactions with "opponents," those roles are completely flipped and the fans are immature while the athletes actually have some respect.

HawkeyeMashup

Feb 17, 2017
See Dustin Hogue. Fran was strongly recruiting Hogue at Indian Hills. He picked Fred, and jok was offered and committed that weekend.

Looking at Rivals, Jok committed a week before Hogue, so Iowa took Jok over Hogue, as Hogue didn't have his offer any longer at Iowa as they only had 1 ride left.

I had actually heard that Iowa was pretty close to taking Morgan over Jok, that this was the real decision if Iowa wanted Morgan or Jok.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Compare that tweet to the one below. Classy gesture by Jok.

Why are you so mad about that tweet he didn't even mention Iowa, no one on really does except to make fun of them. I thought it was pretty classy of AL to not pile on when the whole nation was bearing witness to Iowa's fake ID.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Looking at Rivals, Jok committed a week before Hogue, so Iowa took Jok over Hogue, as Hogue didn't have his offer any longer at Iowa as they only had 1 ride left.

I had actually heard that Iowa was pretty close to taking Morgan over Jok, that this was the real decision if Iowa wanted Morgan or Jok.

I know Pete's brother. So I know you're lying.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016

It's probably an urban legend, but I believe Fran made one last push for Hogue before Jok's official visit.

HawkeyeMashup

Feb 17, 2017
I know Pete's brother. So I know you're lying.

What am I lying about? Pete committed before Hogue did, and what would Pete's brother know about who the Iowa coaches were are weren't going to offer (Morgan).

Plus did Jok ever even have an ISU offer? Maybe you know since you know his brother, but as far as I know his only offers were Drake and Iowa.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
What am I lying about? Pete committed before Hogue did, and what would Pete's brother know about who the Iowa coaches were are weren't going to offer (Morgan).

Plus did Jok ever even have an ISU offer? Maybe you know since you know his brother, but as far as I know his only offers were Drake and Iowa.

Iowa took Jok over Hogue

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
So Pete's brother told you that Iowa wanted Hogue, and not his brother?

That doesn't make sense, Jok committed to Iowa a week before Hogue committed to ISU.

I thought you were a somewhat intelligent troll so I could talk to you like an intelligent person. That was a mistake as I've learned from your partial butthurt/partial elation at Purdue beating ISU that is comign to the front in this thread and the other thread I was trying to have an intelligent conversation with you in.

HawkeyeMashup

Feb 17, 2017
I thought you were a somewhat intelligent troll so I could talk to you like an intelligent person. That was a mistake as I've learned from your partial butthurt/partial elation at Purdue beating ISU that is comign to the front in this thread and the other thread I was trying to have an intelligent conversation with you in.

So calling me a liar is your way of having an intelligent conversation?

I never claimed to have insider knowledge on this situation. I can read though. If Pete commits to Iowa before Hogue has committed anywhere, how is it that Iowa wanted Hogue and not Pete. Also why would Pete's brother telling you that Iowa wanted Hogue and not Pete.

Now I'm not going to call you a liar like you did me, but your story makes no sense. I asked for clarification and you can't/won't provide it. In the sceme of things Pete committed to and played for Iowa and he was a great player for Iowa.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
So calling me a liar is your way of having an intelligent conversation?

I never claimed to have insider knowledge on this situation. I can read though. If Pete commits to Iowa before Hogue has committed anywhere, how is it that Iowa wanted Hogue and not Pete. Also why would Pete's brother telling you that Iowa wanted Hogue and not Pete.

Now I'm not going to call you a liar like you did me, but your story makes no sense. I asked for clarification and you can't/won't provide it. In the sceme of things Pete committed to and played for Iowa and he was a great player for Iowa.

Just have a think about it. One spot, two players. One has a Drake offer to think about and one has an ISU offer to think about. What would you tell those two if you were the coach? And surprise surpise guess which guy jumped first. Saying that Fran wanted one over the other is the lie that you told.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
So Pete's brother told you that Iowa wanted Hogue, and not his brother?

That doesn't make sense, Jok committed to Iowa a week before Hogue committed to ISU.

Do you think it's completely impossible that Hogue told Fran he was not coming to Iowa, so Fran took Jok's commitment?

Not everything that happens in the recruiting world is documented on recruiting sites.

HawkeyeMashup

Feb 17, 2017
Just have a think about it. One spot, two players. One has a Drake offer to think about and one has an ISU offer to think about. What would you tell those two if you were the coach? And surprise surpise guess which guy jumped first. Saying that Fran wanted one over the other is the lie that you told.

Ok, good point. Let's also think about this if what you say is true.

If Iowa wants Hogue way more and Joks only other offer is Drake, why accept his commitment if you prefer Hogue? Jok isn't going anywhere as his only other offer is Drake. Why accept Jok if you really, really want another player a lot More?

That is all I am thinking when I look at the timeline. I don't know though, as I said I don't have inside info on this.