Leath leaves ISU for Auburn president job

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
I think Wickert will be a serious contender at least for the job. He is a thoughtful person who would lead Iowa State well. In an age where Bruce Harreld can get a president job we should hope for someone like Wickert.
This is so so true! The only wild card here is the Iowa Board of Regents. Forgot about that...

• Agree
Reactions: 67CY

DSM4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2006
Altoona, IA
I was just talking about this with my father in law, last night. How, in the past, the public never likely would have known about the plane incident. The "perks" of the job would probably just be understood. And maybe at Auburn, that's still the way it works. But things have changed, at least they have here. Any perceived impropriety is going to be noted, and people will seize on it. It's bad optics all around, and that matters nowadays.

Yep yep yep. Bingo. Leath is a relic of an older era that is still acceptable in some places. I'm glad those "perks" seem to be getting harder to come by. If he did this above board, it wouldn't have been a problem - I would have thought it was cool for our president to be a pilot (my dad is as well) and the Rastetter land thing needed to have been public. Big conflict of interest - buying land from the BoR chair? I mean, the entitlement to think that wasn't a problem. There's a lot of land in Iowa he could have bought. Sweetheart deals are something a leader in Leath's position has to be able to resist. He obviously didn't.

DSM4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2006
Altoona, IA
This is so so true! The only wild card here is the Iowa Board of Regents. Forgot about that...

A plus is that the BoR has fairly recently hired Wickert for his current position. However, we haven't seen a lot of internal promotions in recent years for the presidential positions at the Regents institutions.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
A plus is that the BoR has fairly recently hired Wickert for his current position. However, we haven't seen a lot of internal promotions in recent years for the presidential positions at the Regents institutions.

If Wickert does not get the job this time, he will be president of another university in the next couple years. Seems ready for that next step and if he is passed over it will be time to look elsewhere.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
If Wickert does not get the job this time, he will be president of another university in the next couple years. Seems ready for that next step and if he is passed over it will be time to look elsewhere.
That's the "message" that was relayed to the Regents when he was up for VP/Provost: Wickert's goal is to be a univ president, so you'd be wise to name him Provost now before we lose him...

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
tumblr_o12szlRLyf1rqe0rbo1_540.gif

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
I don't disagree the damage was his fault and potential misuse but why is that such big news for as long as it was with media... It over ruled anything positive he did during his tenure.

It was a big story with the media for so long because Leath stonewalled them. He created this. He talks a good game about transparency but wouldn't release anything. So instead a story that looks bad but dies quickly it becomes the dreaded drip-drip-drip series of stories of whatever the media can find by itself.

What Leath did - or I should say, what we *know* Leath did - isn't that bad. But he wasn't forthright about it and stonewalled when confronted about it. So it *looks* bad and raises the question of, if he's not honest about this, what else is he hiding? The trust is gone.

Over and over again, Leath failed PR 101, which is to own the story and never let the media or others define it. You'd think he'd have learned from years of watching Sally Mason, who couldn't get out of her own way.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
What's Leath going to do with the beautiful Iowa River Valley land the President of the BOR acquired for him? Maybe it could be used to buy a plane.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I'm really surprised to hear this. I wouldn't think Auburn would be a step up in that world. But I'm sure that's not all that factored into this decision.

I wasn't a huge fan of his, but we've seen much worse Presidents in our time.

It'll be an interesting next few months, for sure.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

Very interesting article. Auburn sounds like Leath's kind of place, particularly because they did almost nothing that was truly public in the search. This is a Good Ol' Boy school and Leath has shown that he is a Good Ol' Boy president.

Overall, I like what he has done for Iowa State, but his style fits much better at Auburn. And having talked to him at the airport a month or so ago, it was clear that he really disliked what he considered to be a media witch-hunt by a few reporters.

• Agree
Reactions: DSM4Cy

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
I'm really surprised to hear this. I wouldn't think Auburn would be a step up in that world. But I'm sure that's not all that factored into this decision.

I wasn't a huge fan of his, but we've seen much worse Presidents in our time.

It'll be an interesting next few months, for sure.

It isn't. He's getting out of dodge.

Cydwinder

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 9, 2010
London, UK
Tremendous academic credentials (he was dean of the engineering college prior to provost), very well respected among faculty, very ambitious in furthering Iowa State University, engaging and charming while still being intense and hard-working. A Cyclone thru and thru also. Sports fan. Very good road race runner for his age group.
His goal is to be a large research university president. ISU will not want to lose him.
Don't know if this really helps qualify him for being ISU president, but it's a fun fact!

Cydwinder

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 9, 2010
London, UK
March 20, 2017

Dear Cyclones:

I write today to inform the Iowa State Community that I have resigned my position as President of Iowa State University in order to pursue an outstanding opportunity at Auburn University. When first called about this opportunity, I responded truthfully, as I always had done since my arrival in Iowa, by saying, “I love Iowa State, and the Iowa State students, faculty, staff and Cyclone family are wonderful; I am not looking to leave.” However, after much thought, Janet and I decided to look at the opportunity at Auburn and realized the opportunity was one we could not pass up. When we arrived in Ames, we had no idea how much we would fall in love with Iowa and the Cyclone family. In fact, it was not long ago we bought a farm here and expected to retire here. However, we now realize our destiny is in Alabama and leading one of the nation’s great Land-grant universities to even greater prominence.

I leave with a promise fulfilled, and that was to leave the university better than I inherited it. I leave with Iowa State achieving record enrollment, retention rates, graduation rates, job placement rates as well as records in fundraising and research funding, and numerous other metrics. I am proud of the many accomplishments that we achieved in economic development and community engagement.

I have volunteered to work closely with the Regents to identify an interim President and start a search for a permanent President. In addition, I will keep you updated during this time of change.

Janet and I have made lifelong friends here in Iowa and have had many great experiences. We will always consider ourselves Cyclones and have great affection for this university and its beautiful campus; it is a very special place. Our appreciation for the Cyclone family is beyond words, and we found this extended family of students, faculty, staff, alumni and friends to be the greatest joy of our time at Iowa State.

Sincerely,

Steven and Janet A. Leath

President and First Lady
Fairly typical statement, but the statement about leading one of the nation's great land grant universities seems off to me. He already is at a land grant school so, to me anyway, this comes off as a slam to ISU.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Fairly typical statement, but the statement about leading one of the nation's great land grant universities seems off to me. He already is at a land grant school so, to me anyway, this comes off as a slam to ISU.

Yeah, I was kind of surprised he didn't use "another" instead of "one" there.

• Agree
Reactions: Cydwinder