Leath leaves ISU for Auburn president job

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
He took the job, but let's be honest, the media drug him through the mud basically asking him to take his first available job with the whole plane thing....
south-park-s08e06c05-they-took-our-jobs-16x9.jpg

He terk der jerb.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Everyone wishing Leath gone needs to awfully careful what they wish for.

I am not a Leath proponent by any means. My wife works on campus and he definitely has a negative reputation with the mid level employees/faculty. Generally he has been very good for the university during a historic time of growth. In many respects he stepped aside and let growth happen instead of "shaping" it and screwing up progress in the process.

With all the negative pub due to the plane scandal, hiring politicians for high level positions without proper vetting and rastetter land deals, there was little doubt he is looking to move on. And maybe it is time, but i'd take another Leath as his replacement. He's been a huge friend of the athletic department (bubu palo situation notwithstanding, but really what was he supposed to do? make a wrong move there and you're accused of being a mini baylor fast).

Historically ISU presidents have not put the emphasis on athletics. Geoffrey was good for athletics and Leath continued letting Jamie do his thing. This is the exception, not the rule in ISU history and has led to many decades of futility.

Keep in mind the replacement is selected by a board who's members are appointed by Brandstad, a graduate of Iowa and in the past has not been an ISU first kinda guy (more like Iowa first and just make sure they're #1 in this state)

Whomever is the hire will have a lot on there plate.

I pretty much agree with everything in this post.

• Agree
Reactions: ISC

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Senior VP/Provost Jonathan Wickert will undoubtedly succeed him - he will be a university president somewhere and this is made to order for him - and will do a tremendous job.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
The next thing you guys are going to tell me is that Miles Bridges is transferring to ISU. Thanks Auburn! Keep pace MSU!

DSM4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2006
Altoona, IA
He's a "good ol' boys club" kind of guy. That might be a fit in Alabama, not as much in Iowa. I won't miss him. Unfortunately, the BoR gives me little confidence - although it seems they did a good job with the UNI search. It could get worse. So I can't say whether I'm happy or not.

DSM4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2006
Altoona, IA
Senior VP/Provost Jonathan Wickert will undoubtedly succeed him - he will be a university president somewhere and this is made to order for him - and will do a tremendous job.

IDK much about him. Why would he be a good choice?

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
I think Wickert will be a serious contender at least for the job. He is a thoughtful person who would lead Iowa State well. In an age where Bruce Harreld can get a president job we should hope for someone like Wickert.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX

How does he stand on the Bubu issue and the cancellation of the spring drinking/rioting holiday?

Reactions: Die4Cy

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
He's a "good ol' boys club" kind of guy. That might be a fit in Alabama, not as much in Iowa. I won't miss him. Unfortunately, the BoR gives me little confidence - although it seems they did a good job with the UNI search. It could get worse. So I can't say whether I'm happy or not.

I was just talking about this with my father in law, last night. How, in the past, the public never likely would have known about the plane incident. The "perks" of the job would probably just be understood. And maybe at Auburn, that's still the way it works. But things have changed, at least they have here. Any perceived impropriety is going to be noted, and people will seize on it. It's bad optics all around, and that matters nowadays.

• Winner
Reactions: DSM4Cy

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
IDK much about him. Why would he be a good choice?
Tremendous academic credentials (he was dean of the engineering college prior to provost), very well respected among faculty, very ambitious in furthering Iowa State University, engaging and charming while still being intense and hard-working. A Cyclone thru and thru also. Sports fan. Very good road race runner for his age group.
His goal is to be a large research university president. ISU will not want to lose him.

DSM4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2006
Altoona, IA
Tremendous academic credentials (he was dean of the engineering college prior to provost), very well respected among faculty, very ambitious in furthering Iowa State University, engaging and charming while still being intense and hard-working. A Cyclone thru and thru also. Sports fan. Very good road race runner for his age group.
His goal is to be a large research university president. ISU will not want to lose him.

I knew about his past in the College of Engineering, but not the more personal info. Color me interested in hearing from him - at the least, I hope he's a finalist so we get to hear his vision. I'd guess he will be interim, no doubt.