Glorious thread over at the Phog

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
There are hundreds and hundreds of pages of threads about KU here.

You're not getting it. We're becoming more and more of a rival to KU. If we weren't, there wouldn't be some much conversation about us on a KU message board. It's not a big deal. KU fans have been looking to fill that Mizzou void. ISU fans will gladly take that spot.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Should be an interesting year for ISU hoops next season. Still lots of time left in recruiting so no one's rosters are finalized yet but there isn't much on the roster next year for ISU who has proven they can do what will be asked of them. Lots of new players and roles top to bottom.

Who is back for KU next year that is "proven"?

You bring back, maybe, Graham, Vick and Svi. We bring back Jackson, Babb and Young.

Lots of new players and roles top to bottom on both teams.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
I'll sum up that thread:

"I actually was rooting against ISU - that's how much I hate them!"
"ISU sucks because they want to see us lose. What a bunch of whiners."
"I always cheer against ISU."
"ISU is so petty they cheer for KU to lose."

KU fans: every non-KU Big 12 game has terrible attendance - Big 12 fans sucks
Also KU fans: ISU actually has attendance - their fans suck.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Who is back for KU next year that is "proven"?

You bring back, maybe, Graham, Vick and Svi. We bring back Jackson, Babb and Young.

Lots of new players and roles top to bottom on both teams.
The difference being that we have seen Self replace his entire starting five with new players and still be good eough to win the Big 12. Losing massive amounts of contributors is just a regular offseason for KU. Their coaches are old hat at the process of plug and play with new guys/guys in new roles.

Prohm will earn his money next year, thats for sure. Speaking of, ISU needs to give that guy a raise before he gets plucked.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
The difference being that we have seen Self replace his entire starting five with new players and still be good eough to win the Big 12. Losing massive amounts of contributors is just a regular offseason for KU. Their coaches are old hat at the process of plug and play with new guys/guys in new roles.

Prohm will earn his money next year, thats for sure. Speaking of, ISU needs to give that guy a raise before he gets plucked.
Winner. We need to pay that man.

You are in a small minority of a school that is able to reload talent at will, any basketball fan would kill for that luxury. Prohm has to make up some ground with some guys growing more than expecting or bringing in a glue guy that can fix some holes in out team, my thought right now is Juiston is a huge part in that, because as you said you have guys in those spots for sure next year, we have players that are expected to do things but noone who has shown it very much outside of the HS level. Will be an interesting next few months for us Cyclone fans.

P.S. - can you tell your KU friends over on the Phog board that literally 99% of ISU fans don't spit on women and call players the Nword, and while I would have a terrible view of a fanbase as well with something like that happening and certainly don't condone it, it isn't a representation of the whole fanbase:)

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
It takes a very special lack of self-awareness to create and populate a thread on their own internet-based message board about how petty and angry our fanbase is (because them complaining about us is obviously not the same). Or, how we are apparently more morally backwards than them (who are observably one of the most governmentally/socially regressive states in existence), or how they love that we wish them to fail (even though they are doing and celebrating the exact same thing), or how the wish that we bottom out and turn to nothing overnight (you know, because crediting a decent team is impossible for a blue-blood, just ask Duke fans about SC; along with the fact that watering down the conference doesn't exactly make them a better team by any measureable system), or compaining about our fans making profanity-laced rants at them (which they are still doing to us in that thread, multiple times over)...The list of self-awareness failures goes on.

But, what I find as the most egregious fault here is that they think they if the Big 12 falls apart, we will have a harder time finding a new conference than them. Go ahead, ask UCONN how that works for blue-blood basketball programs with no football at all. KU would have no better luck finding another P5 than we would.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
They HATE us. That was actually surprising to me.
Some do, many don't. Decades spent dealing with Mizzou fans have made a few KU fans overly sensitive to opposing fans who get spazzy and shoot off their mouths at the first sign that their team might provide KU some competition and ISU has had more than a few of those on the message boards. A few head to head wins and some think that suddenly the tides of power are shifting. They aren't. ISU "hatred" is mostly just backlash from the annoyance of dealing with that.

• Agree
Reactions: soSELFish

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
It takes a very special lack of self-awareness to create and populate a thread on their own internet-based message board about how petty and angry our fanbase is (because them complaining about us is obviously not the same). Or, how we are apparently more morally backwards than them (who are observably one of the most governmentally/socially regressive states in existence), or how they love that we wish them to fail (even though they are doing and celebrating the exact same thing), or how the wish that we bottom out and turn to nothing overnight (you know, because crediting a decent team is impossible for a blue-blood, just ask Duke fans about SC, along with the fact that watering down the conference doesn't exactly make them a better team by any measureable system), or compaining about our fans making profanity-laced rants at them (which they are still doing to us in that thread)...The list of self-awareness failures goes on.

But, what I find as the most egregious fault here is that they think they if the Big 12 falls apart, we will have a harder time finding a new conference than them. Go ahead, ask UCONN how that works for blue-blood basketball programs with no football at all. KU would have no better luck finding another P5 than we would.
And by "they" you mean "those two fans", correct?

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I liked the guy/girl who said we declared ourselves blue bloods. That makes me throw up in my mouth.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
That excuse doesn't work for our fans, so no, I mean all of your fans... Just like they do.
Well, I do not agree with any of those points that you claim all KU fans have so there is that. Most of you dont like us, some of us dont like you, its called being fans. Some people in every fan base carry it too far and the internet seems to be the display case for their childish ignorance. If you choose to believe those ding dongs represent all KU fans then you are guilty of what you are complaining about.

Its the internet, just laugh at the stupid people and roll on.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Well, I do not agree with any of those points that you claim all KU fans have so there is that. Most of you dont like us, some of us dont like you, its called being fans. Some people in every fan base carry it too far and the internet seems to be the display case for their childish ignorance. If you choose to believe those ding dongs represent all KU fans then you are guilty of what you are complaining about.

Its the internet, just laugh at the stupid people and roll on.
Believe me, I got plenty of laughs out of it. And the "guilty of what you are complaining about" is exactly the point of my post -- a solid 80% or more of that thread is doing exactly what they say they don't do. Self-awareness is nonexistent in there. That thread has earned it's own criticism. I'm sure most of their fans are not that way, but this "representative sample" of die-hard fans sure as hell is acting like it.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Some do, many don't. Decades spent dealing with Mizzou fans have made a few KU fans overly sensitive to opposing fans who get spazzy and shoot off their mouths at the first sign that their team might provide KU some competition and ISU has had more than a few of those on the message boards. A few head to head wins and some think that suddenly the tides of power are shifting. They aren't. ISU "hatred" is mostly just backlash from the annoyance of dealing with that.
That is fine that they are annoyed of Iowa State fans, but to declare hatred because of 1 fan saying a inexcusable thing, it's not fair to the rest of the fan base. I have heard some terrible **** been said about ISU fans and players, but I don't take it out on the school/fan base of the person that said that. I just think, that person is a very sad individual.

Completely understand what comes with two-passionate fan bases, but to exclaim that as if it is our entire fan base is not fair. I hate the 60+ year old man who charged at Self just as much as you all do, I can tell you that.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
That is fine that they are annoyed of Iowa State fans, but to declare hatred because of 1 fan saying a inexcusable thing, it's not fair to the rest of the fan base. I have heard some terrible **** been said about ISU fans and players, but I don't take it out on the school/fan base of the person that said that. I just think, that person is a very sad individual.

Completely understand what comes with two-passionate fan bases, but to exclaim that as if it is our entire fan base is not fair. I hate the 60+ year old man who charged at Self just as much as you all do, I can tell you that.
It's a message board, man. Who cares. At the end of the day it affects nothing. People make incorrect personal assumptions sbout me here all the time. It doesn't bother me at all because they do not know me at all. Every ISU fan I know personally is nice, friendly and generally good natured in regards to our basketball fandom. So I dont assume that the ISU fans who say jerky things here are actually jerks. I dont know them.

Part of your team having some success in the sport is that some people will find any excuse to lump you into a negative group so they can say hateful things about you. The lunatics are always the voices that get noticed because they are the loudest.

Just gotta deal with the bad that comes with the good.

• Winner
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
It's a message board, man. Who cares. At the end of the day it affects nothing. People make incorrect personal assumptions sbout me here all the time. It doesn't bother me at all because they do not know me at all. Every ISU fan I know personally is nice, friendly and generally good natured in regards to our basketball fandom. So I dont assume that the ISU fans who say jerky things here are actually jerks. I dont know them.

Part of your team having some success in the sport is that some people will find any excuse to lump you into a negative group so they can say hateful things about you. The lunatics are always the voices that get noticed because they are the loudest.

Just gotta deal with the bad that comes with the good.
Yeah, and I am usually a guy to try and stay even keeled and not take what other people say online too serious, but when it comes to projecting racism on an entire fanbase, I'm gonna say something. So I did. And that's all I'll say.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Pretty sure the death threats, spitting and use of the n-word came from Hawkeye fans. Those KU fans are slightly color blind from what I have heard. They just don't tell people they are color blind.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron