Deonte Burton

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Like I said, we got lucky with McKay. He was willing to pay his own way. Most kids won't, and go where they can be on scholarship.
Is it really that big a deal to pay their own way for a semester or even a year? Don't the schools usually hook them up with grant money and/or student loans (which they'll probably never pay back anyway)?

Seedman

Jan 13, 2011
Ames
Keeping scholarships open is becoming more and more the right move. We kind of got lucky with Kane (lost Armardi) and McKay, but I think we have stud freshman Dillon Brooks right now if we had a spot for him.

Hopefully it won't be an issue this time. As much as I want to go for broke next year, Fred could really do some things with a 6'5" 240 athletic SF. He looks quick enough to defend most wings, and would be tough to defend in our inverted offense and a great finisher on the break.

I thought that Dillon Brooks wound up at the University of Oregon. So, are you saying that is not correct?

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Wouldn't be shocked if a scholarship opens up by the time he decides
So you are hearing he will decide this summer, the next time a scholarship can open up?

I thought thatDillon Brooks wound up at the University of Oregon. So, are you saying that is not correct?
He did, why do you ask?
He is a heck of a player for them as a freshman, and was a recruit we had a great chance with until he reclassified to 2014 and we didn't have a spot open.

Seedman

Jan 13, 2011
Ames
So you are hearing he will decide this summer, the next time a scholarship can open up?

He did, why do you ask?
He is a heck of a player for them as a freshman, and was a recruit we had a great chance with until he reclassified to 2014 and we didn't have a spot open.

That is what I thought, but you said “I think we have stud freshman Dillon Brooks right now if we had a spot for him.” That present tense statement made me wonder if something had happened of which I was unaware. Thanks for the clarification.

Reactions: swarthmoreCY

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I just remembered what past Cyclone Deonte Burton reminds me of.

Does everyone remember Doug Collins from about 1991 or so I believe? Stocky kid that could jump out of the gym and was also a lefty just like Burton.

Obviously Burton looks a lot better, but that's the kind of player he reminds me of.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
That is what I thought, but you said “I think we have stud freshman Dillon Brooks right now if we had a spot for him.” That present tense statement made me wonder if something had happened of which I was unaware. Thanks for the clarification.

I think he's saying, "If we had a scholarship when he reclassified, we probably would have landed Brooks"

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Ok I know this is a dumb question but can someone explain why Burton doesn't have another year at ISU?

College basketball players get 5 years to play 4 and here's Burtons breakdown by semester

Spring 17- played at ISU
Fall 16 - played at ISU
Spring 16 - played at ISU
Fall 15 - sat out at ISU
Spring 15 - sat out at ISU
Fall 14 - played at Marquette
Spring 14 - played at Marquette
Fall 13 - played at Marquette

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Ok I know this is a dumb question but can someone explain why Burton doesn't have another year at ISU?

College basketball players get 5 years to play 4 and here's Burtons breakdown by semester

Spring 17- played at ISU
Fall 16 - played at ISU
Spring 16 - played at ISU
Fall 15 - sat out at ISU
Fall 14 - played at Marquette
Fall 13 - played at Marquette

Didn't he play a few games his final semester at Marquette that effectively took up a whole year?

TurbulentEddie

Nov 16, 2012
Madison, WI

Spring 17- played at ISU
Fall 16 - played at ISU Year Four
Spring 16 - played at ISU Year Three
Fall 15 - sat out at ISU
Fall 14 - played at Marquette Year Two
Fall 13 - played at Marquette Year One
Even though they breakdown transfer eligibility by semester, I don't believe the NCAA breaksdown "playing" by semester. So you play any time during a season, that's your year of eligibility.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Gotcha. That makes sense. I was breaking it down into semesters. NCAA views one game at Marquette the same as playing 30 then right?

Unfortunately yes. I'm sure we needed him last year, but it would be nice to have him another season.

• Informative
Reactions: Messi

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
After watching how Deonte was finally exploding and having fun in the second half of this season I kept thinking-- man just think where he would be if CSP had him one more year.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride