Congrats on a great season Cyclones!

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Not sure if you mean the game against you guys when implying insane shooting night, but Purdue shot 30.8% from three (season average is 40.6%)......
As expected you didn't comment on the first half stats that built the lead enabling the makers to hang on.
Purdue has a dominant player which you won't see again for another 20 years. Biggie played one of his best games of his career (please no stats against some bottom feeder) and should be expected to dominated a smaller team like ISU.

boilerzz94

Mar 17, 2017
As expected you didn't comment on the first half stats that built the lead enabling the makers to hang on.
Purdue has a dominant player which you won't see again for another 20 years. He played on of his best games of his career and de
I commented on the overall stats because both halves count. Purdue was 6-15 from three in the first half, which is right on their average. Fortunately Iowa State was frigid. It was our turn to be frigid in the second half as we were just 2-11 despite having several good looks.

I don't want to get into a pissing match about shooting statistics but Purdue scored 44 first half points because we had a lot of looks right at the rim and the guy who led the Big Ten in three point percentage hit two late threes in a very smart 2 for 1 scenario.

Cyclonefan710

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2012
I really think Purdue is going to get rolled this game. We played 10 good minutes and had a chance to win. They won't get the same gift of 25 minutes of stagnant offense from Kansas that we gave them Saturday.

• Agree
Reactions: CTTB78

SerenityNow

Dec 4, 2009
Central Iowa
I root for the Big 12, except for KU. I would like to see you win, but if Kansas plays like they did yeaterday (especially in the 2nd half), I think it will be very difficult for Purdue to pull out the victory.

Side note - you're a much better poster than the jackass we had before and during the game. And thanks for waiting a couple of days. It still sucks losing, but most of us can carry on a civil conversation now. Not so much Saturday or Sunday.

Reactions: Angie

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
I commented on the overall stats because both halves count. Purdue was 6-15 from three in the first half, which is right on their average. Fortunately Iowa State was frigid. It was our turn to be frigid in the second half as we were just 2-11 despite having several good looks.

I don't want to get into a pissing match about shooting statistics but Purdue scored 44 first half points because we had a lot of looks right at the rim and the guy who led the Big Ten in three point percentage hit two late threes in a very smart 2 for 1 scenario.

All true - Haas and Swanny had several dunks early on. I keep thinking back to the 2 3-pointers your guys made right before the half, including that no-look turn arounder by Mathias (I think) at the buzzer. Went from 8 to 14 in a heartbeat.

And if Prohm had put Young back in at the end, he might have corralled the missed free throw and given us a chance....

Thanks for your input. Come back anytime. Go put a hurtin on the K-Boos.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny

For the life of me I couldn't understand how Haas wasn't more aggressive when he got the ball in the post. His first and second instinct was to find the shooter even though he had at least 5" on whoever was guarding him. I thought the game was over once he and Swanigan started that high low game, but glad I got to see one last comeback out of these guys.

Always happy to see another Land Grant Engineering school having success, best of luck against the beakers

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
..... It was our turn to be frigid in the second half as we were just 2-11 despite having several good looks.......

Well two of our best players went 2/13 from deep. Their worst shooting of the year and it had nothing to do with your D. Most were open looks. We make two of those and we win.
Purdue was lucky to hang on. You guys won, and are moving on. Good luck against KU.

• Agree
Reactions: 2020cy

boilerzz94

Mar 17, 2017
For the life of me I couldn't understand how Haas wasn't more aggressive when he got the ball in the post. His first and second instinct was to find the shooter even though he had at least 5" on whoever was guarding him. I thought the game was over once he and Swanigan started that high low game, but glad I got to see one last comeback out of these guys.

Always happy to see another Land Grant Engineering school having success, best of luck against the beakers
Haas collected an offensive rebound right after you started making your run and immediately kicked it out and we missed a three. He had an open look from five feet and I was going nuts. He's talented but sometimes the moment is too big for him.

Prohm did a great job of removing Haas from the equation when he went small with Burton at the five and zoned us.

And appreciate the land grant engineering school comment. Purdue fans tend to root for schools in similar position to us (Iowa State, Georgia Tech, Texas A&M) who have both a similar curriculum and the challenge of competing in a state where the "state school" generally has more history (at least on the gridiron for you).

• Agree
Reactions: bawbie and Bader

Cynonymous

Aug 14, 2015
To beat KU you have to force Mason to make shots and cut off his passing lanes. In general, force him to go left and don't foul. This is all easier said than done. Lucas can do a lot of damage if left unchecked inside so you have to box him out and also not let him establish deep position on the offensive end. You can't really stop Jackson, but you can try to keep the ball from getting to him. Svi, Graham, and others off the bench can have big games, but your best is gambling with these guys on offense and having them try to beat you. Best of luck

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I'm curious how much Self pulls from our game film. Does he go small and iso Jackson on Swanigan? Can Jackson guard him at all?

boilerzz94

Mar 17, 2017
Does Kansas run much zone? I think they might be able to go small with Jackson, Myksflkjsadklfj, Vick, Graham and Mason if they play zone and just hound our perimeter players. The biggest concern if that happens is the offensive glass.

No way they can go small and play man to man. Jackson would have major foul trouble IMO.

ILiftWithRoyce

Feb 6, 2012
Ankeny
Purdue fan here. I wanted to stop by and say congrats on a hell of a season. When I was watching the brackets unveiled and they were about to announce the 4 seed in the Midwest, I was saying "Not Purdue, not Purdue, not Purdue" under my breath because I knew you guys were one of the hottest teams in the country coming into the tourney and not a great matchup for us.

Monte Morris is a stud and it's a crime that he wasn't a Cousy Award finalist. No way Trimble, Fox or Williams-Goss should have been selected in front of him. We struggled with elite PG's all year and I'm thankful Morris' shot was off the other night.

But even with Morris being the alpha, I was most worried about Burton going in. Dude is a freak, strong as an ox and also explosive. Best comparison I could make to him going in was Miles Bridges at MSU. We beat Sparty twice but he averaged 24 and 8 against us. It's too bad Burton isn't a couple inches taller and a couple of years younger because Bridges is a lottery pick.

Your guys showed a lot of heart coming back. Thankfully we made a couple of plays down the stretch to pull it out after we went cold in the 2nd half (Purdue is 6th nationally in 3P% and shoot 76% from the line so it was an uncharacteristically poor shooting performance overall).

We'll do our best to take down Kansas for you but I fear that will be a tall order. Any suggestions on how best to do that given that you beat them and have played us?

Congrats on your victory. Swanigan is a stud. Maybe my favorite non-ISU player that I've watched this year. I know it goes against the old "root for your conference" logic, but i hope you guys ******* piss-pound KU.

ILiftWithRoyce

Feb 6, 2012
Ankeny
I wondered if I'd get that. I thought there might be a collective dislike of Kansas in the Big 12 since they have won so many conference titles in a row.

Purdue fans root for Big Ten teams in the tourney except IU (never, ever, ever) and sometimes Michigan State (lots of heated recruiting battles, which they usually win).

To me there are three rules to being an ISU fan:
1) The only time I root for Nebraska is when they play Iowa
2) Kansas must be destroyed.
3) **** Kansas.

Shawker

This May Not Be Accurate
Jun 19, 2014
Des Moines
Well two of our best players went 2/13 from deep. Their worst shooting of the year and it had nothing to do with your D. Most were open looks. We make two of those and we win.
Purdue was lucky to hang on. You guys won, and are moving on. Good luck against KU.

Damn, you salty as hell bruh

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
If I hear that Boiler Up chant one more time, I'm going to take an ice pick to somebody. Purdue played the better game and deserved to win, I was there. That said, we make literally one more three pointer.......

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Kind of a mixed bag on whom to root for.

On the one hand, there is the Kansas woman kicking, rape of runaway teenager in their luxury dorm element, and the officiating travesty in Hilton in 2013, as well as the smug entitlement of their fans.

On the other hand, there are the tavern Hawks that are now beating their chests about the success of any Big Ten team, since they lost in the NIT on their home court to the 8th place Big 12 team playing without their starting point guard. At least we no longer have to see Julia Louis Dreyfus 200 times during a basketball game. But we still have the Michigan team, whom I believe one announcer said this weekend came as close to death as you possibly can. Just a tad dramatic.

It's sort of either a win-win or lose-lose. And that Purdue troll (not the poster in this thread) didn't help matters, but neither does Tuco.

• Winner
Reactions: ImJustKCClone

CycloneBBFan

Dec 21, 2015
Purdue fan here. I wanted to stop by and say congrats on a hell of a season. When I was watching the brackets unveiled and they were about to announce the 4 seed in the Midwest, I was saying "Not Purdue, not Purdue, not Purdue" under my breath because I knew you guys were one of the hottest teams in the country coming into the tourney and not a great matchup for us.

Monte Morris is a stud and it's a crime that he wasn't a Cousy Award finalist. No way Trimble, Fox or Williams-Goss should have been selected in front of him. We struggled with elite PG's all year and I'm thankful Morris' shot was off the other night.

But even with Morris being the alpha, I was most worried about Burton going in. Dude is a freak, strong as an ox and also explosive. Best comparison I could make to him going in was Miles Bridges at MSU. We beat Sparty twice but he averaged 24 and 8 against us. It's too bad Burton isn't a couple inches taller and a couple of years younger because Bridges is a lottery pick.

Your guys showed a lot of heart coming back. Thankfully we made a couple of plays down the stretch to pull it out after we went cold in the 2nd half (Purdue is 6th nationally in 3P% and shoot 76% from the line so it was an uncharacteristically poor shooting performance overall).

We'll do our best to take down Kansas for you but I fear that will be a tall order. Any suggestions on how best to do that given that you beat them and have played us?

The good news for Purdue is you move onto the Sweet 16. The bad news is you played Iowa State before landing in a ravenous KU homecourt in Kansas City. Bill Self knows ISU like the back of his hand. He's going to use the film of our game to launch an all-out attack on Purdue.
Your strength and weakness is Swanigan. Take him out of or limit his game KU wins. Your second biggest weakness is opponents driving the paint. Swanigan and Haas are slow as molasses. If you think Burton is a beast then wait until you face Frank Mason or Josh Jackson carving up the lane. Good luck in Kansas. You gonna need it.

• Funny
Reactions: psychlone99

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Kind of a mixed bag on whom to root for.

On the one hand, there is the Kansas woman kicking, rape of runaway teenager in their luxury dorm element, and the officiating travesty in Hilton in 2013, as well as the smug entitlement of their fans.

On the other hand, there are the tavern Hawks that are now beating their chests about the success of any Big Ten team, since they lost in the NIT on their home court to the 8th place Big 12 team playing without their starting point guard. At least we no longer have to see Julia Louis Dreyfus 200 times during a basketball game. But we still have the Michigan team, whom I believe one announcer said this weekend came as close to death as you possibly can. Just a tad dramatic.

It's sort of either a win-win or lose-lose. And that Purdue troll (not the poster in this thread) didn't help matters, but neither does Tuco.

Eh...it may not have been officially close to death but a plane being blown off the runway when it's trying to take off is potential for really bad things.

I was hoping WV, Baylor and KU would all get ruined last weekend so I think I'll be pulling for Michigan because sports. I don't care how the Big 12 does during bowl season outside of maybe conference cash and don't care in bball either....KU's KU, I wish Baylor were removed from the conference, and Huggy ball shouldn't be rewarded.

Iowa fans are going to be that way no matter what so it's best to just avoid places like local bowling alleys the next couple of weekends. :)

CycloneBBFan

Dec 21, 2015

Josh Jackson and Frank Mason just carved up the lane. Told you so. Better luck next year.