Congrats on a great season Cyclones!

boilerzz94

Mar 17, 2017
Purdue fan here. I wanted to stop by and say congrats on a hell of a season. When I was watching the brackets unveiled and they were about to announce the 4 seed in the Midwest, I was saying "Not Purdue, not Purdue, not Purdue" under my breath because I knew you guys were one of the hottest teams in the country coming into the tourney and not a great matchup for us.

Monte Morris is a stud and it's a crime that he wasn't a Cousy Award finalist. No way Trimble, Fox or Williams-Goss should have been selected in front of him. We struggled with elite PG's all year and I'm thankful Morris' shot was off the other night.

But even with Morris being the alpha, I was most worried about Burton going in. Dude is a freak, strong as an ox and also explosive. Best comparison I could make to him going in was Miles Bridges at MSU. We beat Sparty twice but he averaged 24 and 8 against us. It's too bad Burton isn't a couple inches taller and a couple of years younger because Bridges is a lottery pick.

Your guys showed a lot of heart coming back. Thankfully we made a couple of plays down the stretch to pull it out after we went cold in the 2nd half (Purdue is 6th nationally in 3P% and shoot 76% from the line so it was an uncharacteristically poor shooting performance overall).

We'll do our best to take down Kansas for you but I fear that will be a tall order. Any suggestions on how best to do that given that you beat them and have played us?

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Thanks for the kind words. Luckily, he wasn't behind Trimble or Fox on the Cousey list, but your point is well taken.

Also thanks for waiting a few days before coming by. This message is probably better received now than it would have been Friday night.

Good luck, you have a nice team!

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
giphy.gif

Reactions: cyclonesurveyor

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
We'll do our best to take down Kansas for you but I fear that will be a tall order. Any suggestions on how best to do that given that you beat them and have played us?
Yeah. Just before the game, have your cheerleaders kick LaGerald Vicks & Josh Jackson in the faces - I hear they approve of kicking. If the ladies can't kick that high, the nether regions are an acceptable substitute.

(semi-jimlad)

boilerzz94

Mar 17, 2017
Thanks for the kind words. Luckily, he wasn't behind Trimble or Fox on the Cousey list, but your point is well taken.

Also thanks for waiting a few days before coming by. This message is probably better received now than it would have been Friday night.

Good luck, you have a nice team!
Damnit, I looked at the wrong list. The same applies to Brunson.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
As for looking for advice, I think you match up well everywhere but PG. Mason is a different type of PG than Monte. While I'd take Monte over him every day, Mason is better at getting to the rim. If you can somehow keep him under control, I think the other matchups are a wash, or tilt in your favor. Much like the game against us, though, I doubt you can do much with Haas and Biggie on the floor together.

Reactions: Angie

boilerzz94

Mar 17, 2017
I wondered if I'd get that. I thought there might be a collective dislike of Kansas in the Big 12 since they have won so many conference titles in a row.

Purdue fans root for Big Ten teams in the tourney except IU (never, ever, ever) and sometimes Michigan State (lots of heated recruiting battles, which they usually win).

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I wondered if I'd get that. I thought there might be a collective dislike of Kansas in the Big 12 since they have won so many conference titles in a row.

Purdue fans root for Big Ten teams in the tourney except IU (never, ever, ever) and sometimes Michigan State (lots of heated recruiting battles, which they usually win).

I think you'll find us split. I sort of empirically/logically want Kansas to win because Big 12 but hate them enough that it's hard to buy into that. But, on the flip side, I have no love for Baylor at all (even though it was their football program that was the problem) and want them to lose horribly.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
If Purdue has another insane shooting night, they have a chance. But they won't, KU 84- Makers 73.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008

Uhh, that's not why bruv...it's their fans and the fact that they get disproportionate calls (not gonna search for the study but it exists).

Boilers got a great win Saturday, now please don't squander it.

GO PURDUE, BEAT KANSAS!

And can I get a **** Iowa!

• Disagree
Reactions: tyreezy and Angie

boilerzz94

Mar 17, 2017
If Purdue has another insane shooting night, they have a chance. But they won't, KU 84- Makers 73.
Not sure if you mean the game against you guys when implying insane shooting night, but Purdue shot 30.8% from three (season average is 40.6%). Purdue shot 66.7% from the line (season average is 75.9%).

In glancing thru your game thread, I saw a couple of people questioning Swanigan's outside shooting. In 13 KenPom tier A games (against the best opponents), he's 21-42 from three. He's been consistently very good all year from deep and especially against good teams.

Reactions: Shawker and bawbie

boilerzz94

Mar 17, 2017
Uhh, that's not why bruv...it's their fans and the fact that they get disproportionate calls (not gonna search for the study but it exists).

Boilers got a great win Saturday, now please don't squander it.

GO PURDUE, BEAT KANSAS!

And can I get a **** Iowa!
I can definitely relate to unreasonable fan bases (IU fans still think they are elite even though they haven't won a title in 30 years).

As for Iowa, I hear Fran stepped on a dog toy getting out of bed this morning and spent the next hour losing his mind to anyone within shouting distance. Can't stand that whiny bastard.

I'm just glad Jess Settles is finally a senior next year.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I've given up on guessing how teams will match up (you should see my bracket). Purdue's inside strength should be tough for KU as they don't have quality depth in the post, but yeah, Mason will be hard for you to handle. The saving grace might be your inside presence blocking him at the rim, but expect that little bastard to go flying like someone shot him every time he tries to draw contact in the lane.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
I can definitely relate to unreasonable fan bases (IU fans still think they are elite even though they haven't won a title in 30 years).

As for Iowa, I hear Fran stepped on a dog toy getting out of bed this morning and spent the next hour losing his mind to anyone within shouting distance. Can't stand that whiny bastard.

I'm just glad Jess Settles is finally a senior next year.

So much KU right here. There's no bigger disparity in college basketball than how KU fans talk about KU basketball and what they've actually done in the NCAAs during their current Big 12 winning streak. You'd think they have 13 straight National Championships...

• Dislike
Reactions: tyreezy

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I'll be very surprised if KU doesn't drive the lane hard the whole game. Mason and Jackson are going to be hard for Purdue to stop IMO.

And the Sprint Center will be absolutely infested with KU fans.

That being said, I was impressed by Purdue's offense. KU will struggle stopping Purdue if they are clicking like they were in that first half against us. This isn't one of Self's better defensive teams. He let's them roll with talent a lot.

Maybe Purdue should wear some TCU jerseys.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron