Leath leaves ISU for Auburn president job

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
True, but i think there's been a change overall in that the value of a successful athletics program.

For instance, take Villanova:
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/how-villanova-gets-its-moneys-worth-from-basketball/

Successful athletics does quite a bit in terms of marketing value for the university, aiding both in recruiting as well as keeping alumni connected to the university, who you then can mine for academic donations.

This part is the more worrying part. With what happened over at U of I, and with the current anti-intellectualism that seems to be rampant with some in the republican party (see also: Sizzler U representative from Ottumwa), it may not be the best time to have an opening.

I agree this is not a good time for him to leave, hope he stays. He has had some controversies, but in general has grown the University (while still retaining standards), grown the Research Park, and brought jobs to Ames. The current political climate in Iowa is not good and I would be anxious to see who ISU ends up with.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006

I am not a Leath proponent by any means. My wife works on campus and he definitely has a negative reputation with the mid level employees/faculty....
With all the negative pub due.....to the rastetter land deals,....

What's the story on the land deals?

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
What's the story on the land deals?

He paid the going rate for some wooded area and ag land in Hardin County, and everybody got their shorts in a twist just because he bought it from Rastetter's company.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
It would be best for the University if Leath left. He's a massive progressionist (which isn't a bad thing) that has done zero progressing.

cyclonestate

May 4, 2009
Myth #1: ISU has relaxed admission standards to increase enrollment.
Nothing could be further from the truth. The academic profile of the entering freshman classes has actually risen during this period of unprecedented growth. This myth was created by U of Iowa officials shortly after ISU passed them in total enrollment. Their opinion of themselves and their institution is so inflated they couldn't comprehend that ISU could possibly pass them in total enrollment unless they were relaxing their admission standards. Their arrogance is laughable.

Myth #2: Leath has somehow contributed to ISU's enrollment growth.
Leath has had absolutely zero to do with ISU's enrollment growth. He's just someone who was fortunate to be sitting in the President's Office when the enrollment took off, thanks to a well-coordinated recruitment effort that the entire campus bought into, and to staff across the campus who show prospective students they sincerely care about their success.

Last edited:

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
He took the job, but let's be honest, the media drug him through the mud basically asking him to take his first available job with the whole plane thing....

• Agree
Reactions: isufbcurt

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
He took the job, but let's be honest, the media drug him through the mud basically asking him to take his first available job with the whole plane thing....

He could try being a good pilot and follow rules but sure it was the media's fault.

• Agree
Reactions: ripvdub

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
He could try being a good pilot and follow rules but sure it was the media's fault.
I don't disagree the damage was his fault and potential misuse but why is that such big news for as long as it was with media... It over ruled anything positive he did during his tenure.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
Hope to go they bring in someone who wants to continue to build up the university and the sports programs. We are looking at a pretty uncertain future, and without a President who sees the importance of Athletics we could be in trouble.

BigGame

Nov 21, 2011
Look, I understand why some people outside the university like Leath, I really do. There are some I'm sure who like him in the university of course as well. I can't speak for everyone. BUT, the general mood on campus today is one of happiness and excitement that Leath is moving on. You can blame the media, like he has, all you like. That's fine, I understand why some people think the plane issue isn't that big of a deal. If you work for ISU like me, you know that the issues are far bigger than that. President Leath lied repeatedly, and some of those lies have still not been found out. He treats people poorly generally. Faculty almost overwhelmingly dislike him. Students generally dislike him. I won't make a comment like, "well he was just never a good fit" blah blah blah. I think most people think his regime started off fine. It's gone downhill based on his actions and his lying about far more than a stupid plane.

He certainly raises money, although I'd caution people from giving him too much credit. Most new buildings start the planning process a decade out, before he got here. Most fundraising operations do the same. And most donations are made regardless of who the president is. In fact, most of the huge donations, like the one just made to Greenlee that might be worth $100 million, were started long before President Leath got here. And the army of people who actually meet with donors and collect the money will continue to do so. In short, this is a pretty good day on campus. The sun is shining, the temperatures are great, and most people are excited to be moving on from Mr. Leath.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I don't disagree the damage was his fault and potential misuse but why is that such big news for as long as it was with media... It over ruled anything positive he did during his tenure.

It was potential (and likely probable regardless of what investigations showed) of a nearly half million dollar taxpayer funded piece of equipment. I will admit that 99% of the time the media does not characterize aviation well but there was certainly a story here.

The biggest travesty of it all is that they are selling the plane. That was a great asset for the coaching staffs to get around the region quick and is a hell of a lot cheaper than the King Air.

cycopath25

Sep 8, 2006
(307)
Did he fly to his own interview?

636102652797221838-AP16268034082920.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: cdface

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
March 20, 2017

Dear Cyclones:

I write today to inform the Iowa State Community that I have resigned my position as President of Iowa State University in order to pursue an outstanding opportunity at Auburn University. When first called about this opportunity, I responded truthfully, as I always had done since my arrival in Iowa, by saying, “I love Iowa State, and the Iowa State students, faculty, staff and Cyclone family are wonderful; I am not looking to leave.” However, after much thought, Janet and I decided to look at the opportunity at Auburn and realized the opportunity was one we could not pass up. When we arrived in Ames, we had no idea how much we would fall in love with Iowa and the Cyclone family. In fact, it was not long ago we bought a farm here and expected to retire here. However, we now realize our destiny is in Alabama and leading one of the nation’s great Land-grant universities to even greater prominence.

I leave with a promise fulfilled, and that was to leave the university better than I inherited it. I leave with Iowa State achieving record enrollment, retention rates, graduation rates, job placement rates as well as records in fundraising and research funding, and numerous other metrics. I am proud of the many accomplishments that we achieved in economic development and community engagement.

I have volunteered to work closely with the Regents to identify an interim President and start a search for a permanent President. In addition, I will keep you updated during this time of change.

Janet and I have made lifelong friends here in Iowa and have had many great experiences. We will always consider ourselves Cyclones and have great affection for this university and its beautiful campus; it is a very special place. Our appreciation for the Cyclone family is beyond words, and we found this extended family of students, faculty, staff, alumni and friends to be the greatest joy of our time at Iowa State.

Sincerely,

Steven and Janet A. Leath

President and First Lady