Jadda Buckley to Forego Redshirt Season

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Does this mean the Clones are losing 5 players next year? 4 Seniors plus Jadda? This will leave this team very young and inexperienced.

Not really. 2 of the Sr hardly played, and Bowe was a grad transfer that didn't start.

Will miss Seanna and Jadda for sure, but they return Carleton, Durr, Burkhall and Starks who all started at some point this year

kcdc4isu

Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
Does this mean the Clones are losing 5 players next year? 4 Seniors plus Jadda? This will leave this team very young and inexperienced.

We lose 5 with Jadda. Minutes played Jadda 1058, Seanna 1037, Heather 459, Lexi 54 and Jordan 53.The other four starters have BC 1019, ED 719, Mere 734, TT 578, and the rest have AC 187, NW 183, CR 116 and SZ 28. We will not be as experienced as some other teams in the conference as to minutes played so we will have rto depend on some quality minutes from our new players.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I was disappointed when I heard of this but let's face reality here, it's not like she is going to make basketball a professional career so you can't blame the young woman for wanting to begin the next phase of her life. How many of us here had an interest in grad school? If you had the choice of taking a good job or having to juggle 1 more year of school just to play a sport 1 more year which would you choose? I respect her decision, as a fan I'm sad to see her go but she represented ISU well and wish her the best of luck in the next phase of her life.

geewago

Jan 1, 2013
Waco,tx
TT needs to learn how to score. lots of talent but no points,

And the point guard next year will be ????

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

Probably RaeAnnah Johnson, PG from Minnesota with help from Durr and maybe Washington and Starks. Everybody in the past that was good for us pretty much started as freshman so that's my expectation for Johnson.

Guessing starting lineup of:

Burkhall
Wise
Carleton
R. Johnson
Durr

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: riceville98

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Could have been nice if everyone is happy. If anyone is not happy it might have been awkward or uncomfortable.

The "Iowa State will have no further comment." doesn't make it sound like everybody is all lovey dovey.
I would say things are "awkward or uncomfortable." Coach Fennelly tweets all the time on players' and ex-players' birthdays, their career updates, good luck to seniors, etc.
After the game yesterday, he was on twitter about how great his staff is, and good luck to the men's team.
But not a single word about Jadda Buckley.

Last edited:
  • Agree
  • Dislike
Reactions: psyclone51 and 67CY

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I would think that an announcement this quick shows that she's been upfront and open with the staff. For those questioning the timing, what did you want? Did you want her to announce in June? As for announcing during the year, I don't blame her for not wanting the distraction.

I found it really interesting that during the men's Big 12 tournament game against OSU, the announcer talked about an odd interaction he had with Phil Forte. Essentially, and I'm paraphrasing, the announcer had asked him if he was wanting to go play overseas, and in response Forte gave him a look and made a comment hinting that he was ready to be done playing basketball.

I think we have it in our heads that these kids only live for basketball. But to feel the need to get up every day in the off season and lift, condition, shoot, and then to have all that plus film study during the season would get tiring. I can't blame someone for having priorities beyond basketball such as health and career.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Some career totals for Jadda Buckley:
  • Made 1,000 club with 1,196 points. With another year she would have been in top 10 with Seanna Johnson
  • 456 career assists, 6th place all time and just 28 behind Stacy Frese.
  • .867 career free throw percentage, #2 all time behind Kelsey Bolte.
  • #3 in assists this season in the Big 12
  • #3 in minutes played this season in the Big 12

Last edited:

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
Not really. 2 of the Sr hardly played, and Bowe was a grad transfer that didn't start.

Will miss Seanna and Jadda for sure, but they return Carleton, Durr, Burkhall and Starks who all started at some point this year
I

i think this creates a huge problem for next year. I disagree on TT's talent level. Not a point guard, role player at best. Afraid we are stuck with nia, and I don't think that will work. This takes considerable edge off my optimism for next year

67CY

Apr 13, 2006
I would say things are "awkward or uncomfortable." Coach Fennelly tweets all the time on players' and ex-players' birthdays, their career updates, good luck to seniors, etc.
After the game yesterday, he was on twitter about how great his staff is, and good luck to the men's team.
I always thought she was one of his favorites, but maybe she wasn't

cydney

Mar 14, 2011
We have talent returning and coming in and good freshmen can have an impact. Other schools have done it, so can we. If they know this up front, it can be a focus for the off-season. Was I excited about Jadda being the leader next year- without a doubt! Her experience cannot be replaced. But if her heart was not going to be in it, then that doesn't help the team. We have some guard depth so there are options. I like Durr as one. She's a little like Aus in not being a prototypical PG. But she knows our system and can handle the ball. After that, there is potential for Washington if she gets stronger in the off season. Look at the Texas PG. McCarty. 5-4. Big 12 POY. Undersized but quick. Shows it can be done.

psyclone51

Nov 6, 2011
I am pleased by the mostly gracious comments on this thread. Jadda deserves whatever she wants for her future. People may forget sometimes what a tough thing it is to be a student athlete - at an elite level. And to do it for 4 years speaks to any student's will and character.

Jadda represented herself, her family, her community and her school very well. She is clearly a very determined woman who knows what she wants, and seeks the best path to achieve it. I wish her well, and hope that as a member of the Cyclone family, she keeps in touch from time to time so we know how she is doing. I wish her nothing but the best.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/st.../?hootPostID=67cb0f516c3f7a0343e31d7c9badd4bd

“I understand and support Jadda’s decision to end her career,” Iowa State coach Bill Fennelly said in a statement. “Everyone at Iowa State has supported her during her four years at ISU, and Jadda has been a major part of the success on and off the court of Cyclone women’s basketball. We wish her nothing but the best in all she does in life.”

Reactions: bawbie

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
I had heard a rumor that she was considering this a couple months ago, but hoped it was not true, obviously. I believe she would be an effective leader for the entire program next year, if she chose to stay. But I totally get that, after four years, she just wants to get on with life. Not everyone feels the need to get a degree beyond the undergraduate level, even if given a very easy path. Good for Jadda to take the leap into the next chapter of her life and not stick around just because other people expected (or hoped) she would.

Am imagining the staff might be looking this summer for a juco point guard who may be able to step in and run the show in case Nia isn't up to the task quite yet, a la Chassidy Cole or Lauren Mansfield. It just doesn't seem like we're equipped for next season otherwise.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
As I posted, I was talking about tweets. That was from the official "press release." Not a single one from BF, or Steyer, or Billy, or even Lyndsey. BF and Lyndsey tweet about everything, yet are silent about the career of a 4 yr starter. Very telling.

What part of "no further comment" is so hard to understand?