Team Lost But Fans Won

CYber_saber

Mar 2, 2017
I was looking at Purdue forums during the game tonight...some of their fans were going nuts about the intensity of our support. Some said they had to turn off their volume fearing a roof fall after that roar in the second half.
This is it. It just proves what an amazing fan base and support we have.

If we can keep this momentum going with coming years no matter how we play, we can be one of those Elitest programs and who knows that first NCAA title banner hangs high in the Hilton soon.

CYber_saber

Mar 2, 2017
Lol. We lost, no one gives a **** about fan support. When we go 15-15 next year no one will be talking about our fans.
Fan support motivates those players and it played a major part these last few years. Let's say we struggle next year and our fan base is not as intense as it is right now. Chance of going through dark phase again.

If we don't care, sure no one cares. They might care if we make some noise.

Last edited:

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Lol. We lost, no one gives a **** about fan support. When we go 15-15 next year no one will be talking about our fans.

If you believe in, and contribute toward, Hilton Magic then there's no way we go 15-15 next season. A big part of next years success is going to be supporting this young squad and giving them confidence. Hopefully there aren't many fans sharing this same pessimistic outlook.

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
Yes no one in the media pays any attention to a team's crowd support unless it is unusually strong and then it's all good and what is wrong with that? The more positive momentum we can get the better and who knows where it will show up - maybe an extra win or in recruiting that sways a key recruit.

cyclone101

Oct 19, 2009
Dez Moinz
I hope you have season tickets and decide to drop them next year, so me or one of the few thousand other Cyclone fans can scoop them up like we've wanted to for the last 2-3 years.

Hilton Magic is the reason for some of our NCAA tournament teams. If you don't want to be apart of it, please step aside and let someone else support the team.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Most college basketball players today play in half empty arenas or worse every night. Don't tell me it isn't huge to our players that they have one of the best fan bases in the nation that fill the arena every night.

Just listen to Naz after the game last night talk about how much the fans meant to him and the guys. It is BIG, and definitely helps with recruiting too.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Iowa State just got a shout out on Fox Sports Radio because of our fan turnout in Milwaukee.
Yes no one in the media pays any attention to a team's crowd support unless it is unusually strong and then it's all good and what is wrong with that? The more positive momentum we can get the better and who knows where it will show up - maybe an extra win or in recruiting that sways a key recruit.

• Winner
Reactions: aauummm

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
I agree to some extent. Fan support motivates those players and it played a major part these last few years. Let's say we struggle next year and our fan base is not as intense as it is right now. Chance of going through dark phase again.

If we don't care, sure no one cares. They might care if we make some noise.
Had friends from Minn who are Gopher fans who stayed in Milwaukee all weekend - very impressed and couldn't say more about Iowa State support. They had no idea.

• Winner

CYber_saber

Mar 2, 2017
Had friends from Minn who are Gopher fans who stayed in Milwaukee all weekend - very impressed and couldn't say more about Iowa State support. They had no idea.
Well, thats the thing. If you just realize how much recognition we got in these recent years than ever before. Just need to continue the momentum. Hopefully our football program success can bring lot more excitement to the fans. #Raise The Standard

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

I think a lot of people would be surprised at what Hilton's like on game day even if they've heard about it, and they'd be basically shocked at the scene at Jack Trice for a program that's been that bad.

Gossamer

Apr 10, 2014

I think recruits care about fan support. Kids want to play where it's loud and they feel like superstars.

If you're pissed we lost, get in line...and make sure it's behind the guys who actually played. Nobody is more upset than those fellas.

247cy

Nov 14, 2006
Spring Hill, KS
Iowa State is a special place because of the people. Lacking a major pro sports team in the state is also a big component of our recipe that stokes the passion for this school. I think this has a lot to do with how people identify and spend their extra $ following our teams wherever they go.

I've been living in the KC area for nearly 15 years, and one thing I can tell you is the Iowa State fanbase reputation is sterling. I can not count the number of compliments I get from people who have a positive view of us as fans and they know we turn out and bring it for our programs.

I sincerely hope when we start winning more often the fanbase can retain that pleasant and fun loving vibe to go along with the success.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
I get a kick out of children like you. We step on players for giving up, but it is fans like you who 'give up' with statements as lame as that. Suck it up. Work harder. Become a better fan. It's not like you're running a marathon.

Reactions: CYber_saber

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
My East Coast sister-in-law at the game ISU played in Brooklyn 3 years ago, as cardinal-and-gold clad fans streamed in (I think I guessed at the time, maybe 4500 of the 5000 in attendance), "Where are all these Iowa State fans coming from?!"

I was a the last 2 tourneys in FL -- ISU had the largest contingent at each (and it was noted on each telecast). I was at a game at TCU (BDJ's year) when they played at a temporary gym during renovations and I think ISU fans out-numbered TCU's 2 or 3 to one for senior night (and we all dutifully cheered loudly to honor TCU's seniors).

It's probably related to the fact that it's a place where Iowans - who don't have all the sexy entertainment options - can celebrate their tribalism the way others do for NFL teams etc. But for whatever the reason, the support is remarkable. And I think that Cyclone Nation is generally friendly and well-behaved when they travel to games.

Last edited: