Underwood to Illinois?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
D

Deleted member 8507

To lazy to look but are his incoming recruits highly rated? $3.5M is a lot of cash of a coach who had mixed results with someone else's players.
Is a top 10 class considered good?

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
This is a dark cloud on the horizon for the Big 12.

Poaching coaches and losing the recruiting wars will gut this conference in a heartbeat
That's sort of an overreaction. Just last year the Big 12 was the destination conference for the big name candidates out there. And lets be clear regarding Underwood, he demonstrated some potential at OSU. They had a decent season, but it's not like he's proven himself as a can't miss hire. Not yet anyway. Also, the reports coming out are speaking of conflicts with the AD. I'm not sure that Underwood's departure is an indication of anything at all, regarding the Big 12 or the Big 10.

Reactions: Sigmapolis

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
That's sort of an overreaction. Just last year the Big 12 was the destination conference for the big name candidates out there. And lets be clear regarding Underwood, he demonstrated some potential at OSU. They had a decent season, but it's not like he's proven himself as a can't miss hire. Not yet anyway. Also, the reports coming out are speaking of conflicts with the AD. I'm not sure that Underwood's departure is an indication of anything at all, regarding the Big 12 or the Big 10.

I'd prefer to blow it up larger and say that it signals the end of college basketball as we know it.

DSM4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2006
Altoona, IA
This is getting off topic now, but this attitude is partly why our society is where it is. I also see it changing. Younger people don't seem to be win at all costs types.

As a fairly young person who's also been out "in the world" for a few years, I'd have to agree. Very few people my age that I know, friends or not, are of that mentality. Money means a lot, sure - and I can't disagree with Underwood taking a 3x raise. However, it's not everything for the vast majority. Quality of life is making a resurgence in importance. Makes me hopeful for the future, and confident in my generation's ability to not screw things up.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
This, in some ways, is similar to the Cheezik situation. Here you go OSU fans, I present the Brad Button:
BradUCoin.png

• Funny
Reactions: Sigmapolis

DSM4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2006
Altoona, IA
Yep, BIG & SEC are rolling in $$$ right now.

This is mostly true, but a bit misleading. With the Big 12's third-tier money, some of our schools can keep up with B1G (maybe not SEC). I'd say we're in the 3rd-best position financially right now of all the leagues, which is not a terrible place to be. We are definitely much stronger financially than the Pac-12.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Evidently, oSu never knew this was happening. Found out on social media. Coaching ethics has become an oxymoron.

From what Ive read, thats BS. Underwood took a low salary in year one with the promise of a new contract going into year 2. OSU's AD pretty much slapped him in the face with a crap contract for year 2. OSU is a football school, and Underwood didnt want to be a part of that. I dont blame him.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneErik

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
From what Ive read, thats BS. Underwood took a low salary in year one with the promise of a new contract going into year 2. OSU's AD pretty much slapped him in the face with a crap contract for year 2. OSU is a football school, and Underwood didnt want to be a part of that. I dont blame him.

The official was stunned to learn via Twitter that Underwood was going to Illinois, saying there was no indication he was leaving Oklahoma State.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...d-underwood-oklahoma-state-cowboys-next-coach