Seemingly never ending Iowa MBB thread (still going.....)

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bestaluckcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2009
Don't know who I want to win the Iowa/TCU game. We have to recruit against both. The coaching could well favor the Froggers, so may be better for us if they come up short. This one just smells bad.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Don't know who I want to win the Iowa/TCU game. We have to recruit against both. The coaching could well favor the Froggers, so may be better for us if they come up short. This one just smells bad.

I wouldn't say ISU and Iowa recruit against each other. We only have a couple of instances of Fran and Steve going head to head for recruits. Donovan is the only recent one I can think of perhaps Charlie Moore who went to Cal. Dixon vs Prohm in recruiting is much more competative as TCU recruits at a higher level and have went after the same targets (Kasongo/Fisher).

As for that being a win being a recruiting point for either TCU or Iowa vs ISU.

NCAA >>> NIT

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
I don't watch a ton of Iowa BB either. Just a few games, and their bigs do play pretty well, at least while I am watching. All I am saying is they have some nice pieces going forward, and at this point look in better shape for next year than ISU. A couple good transfers and ISU will be in good shape too, but right now there is still some holes to fill.
ISU has much higher rated talent at every position except Cook.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I am mostly concerned about post play. Young has added some post defense, but almost no offense at all. Iowa seems to have 3 guys that can play in there, and all of them look serviceable or better. Other than Young I don't see a lot of options at this point in time.
Young will be better than any of Iowa's, and I like their guys. Lard will be a good one, too. I do wish we had Pemsl. I wonder if he'll leave if he has to play behind a walkon.

HawkeyeMashup

Feb 17, 2017
Young will be better than any of Iowa's, and I like their guys. Lard will be a good one, too. I do wish we had Pemsl. I wonder if he'll leave if he has to play behind a walkon.

I doubt Young will be close to what Cook will be. Young got minutes because ISU didn't have any interior options. Young wouldn't have gotten minutes at Iowa, or on nearly any other Big12 team.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I doubt Young will be close to what Cook will be. Young got minutes because ISU didn't have any interior options. Young wouldn't have gotten minutes at Iowa, or on nearly any other Big12 team.

I think you underestimate Young. Don't forget that he spent the first half of the season recovering from a broken hand. Rough start for a true freshman. He has not shot a lot because the team has a lot of other guys that can score right now. I doubt he is going to be great, but the guy could shoot from the outside in HS.

HawkeyeMashup

Feb 17, 2017
I think you underestimate Young. Don't forget that he spent the first half of the season recovering from a broken hand. Rough start for a true freshman. He has not shot a lot because the team has a lot of other guys that can score right now. I doubt he is going to be great, but the guy could shoot from the outside in HS.

I don't disagree, but to say he is gonna be better than Cook is strictly a hope and really has no basis in reality right now.

HawkeyeMashup

Feb 17, 2017
He's starting as a true freshman going against elite competition in the Big 12 and holding his own very well.

But yeah, he wouldn't see the floor at Iowa or any other Big12 school. Lol!!

He averaged less than 4 PPG and less than 3 RPG in Big12 confernce play.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
I've watch parts of several ISU games an seen a few full games. Young doesn't have anywhere near the potential of Cook. It isn't a slight to Young, he might be a nice player, but Cook was recruited by tons of school and was a top 75ish guy for a reasons.

Young is twice as good of a defender already than what Cook is. Not even close.

Young is limited offensively right now, but that will change.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
He averaged less than 4 PPG and less than 3 RPG in Big12 confernce play.

Which translates to you not understanding his role on the team.

Don't get me wrong--Cook's a nice player and Young's handle needs work, but still, those stats don't tell the story of what his role is on this particular team.

Status
Not open for further replies.