Underwood to Illinois?

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
If Underwood wanted OSU to match 3.5 million a year, I don't blame OSU for letting him walk.

What would JP do if someone offered Prohm 3.5 million right now? I can't see paying that for Prohm at this point.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
That kind of attitude is nice, and honorable, but will get you eaten alive. Platitudes about respect and integriry sound great, but are usually the first thing out the window when faced with cold hard cash.

I couldn't disagree more. Being respectful is a reflection of you, not the other person. Burning bridges by being disrespectful is just shortsighted.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Bill Self's take on Underwood leaving Self's Alma Mater (OSU) to go to Illinois (his previous job):

C7OobZkV0AEROY-.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: robkuhl588

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
I always thought jkclone was like 30 tops.
I think you guys read that backwards. I'm 22. I said that younger people value those relationships much more than boomers. There will be less screw you types in the future.

Younger people fall in two types. Those that want to stick around and are loyal and the much bigger group that wants to move around a lot. They know they can't burn bridges.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
I couldn't disagree more. Being respectful is a reflection of you, not the other person. Burning bridges by being disrespectful is just shortsighted.

I think you are right also, bawbie, but unfortunately the workplace has become a place where people are used and discarded. I hope this changes, but that seems to be the climate we are in.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
He's not. He thinks he is entitled to getting a Power 5 job without working his way up like most do. If he was serious about coaching, he could easily start at a lower school.

Gottlieb thinks he would be their Fred Hoiberg, but would actually be their Chris Mullin, or maybe Sidney Lowe if he got lucky.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I think you are right also, bawbie, but unfortunately the workplace has become a place where people are used and discarded. I hope this changes, but that seems to be the climate we are in.

I agree in general, although it depends on the company and the industry. I'm very cognizant of that as a hiring mgr, but Power 5 conf coaching is different. It's a really small community. You never know when a Asst AD at OSU today is the AD somewhere in 10 years.

Reactions: LindenCy

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
I think you guys read that backwards. I'm 22. I said that younger people value those relationships much more than boomers. There will be less screw you types in the future.

Younger people fall in two types. Those that want to stick around and are loyal and the much bigger group that wants to move around a lot. They know they can't burn bridges.

All in the eye of the beholder. Every generation looks at in different. In my fathers day, a paper with his signature and a handshake was good enough for the bank. Now......25 to 30 pages of disclaimers. You think it's going back to one page contract and a handshake anytime soon?

As for your statement on younger people valuing relationships with fewer "screw you" types and younger people falling into only two types, well...........two words........Colin Kaepernick. Mr. screw you if you don't like it....I don't care how many bridges I burn...I am loyal to nothing. That's this generation. Life isn't getting a trophy everyday just for waking up.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
This is getting off topic now, but this attitude is partly why our society is where it is. I also see it changing. Younger people don't seem to be win at all costs types.
If by "why our society is where it is" you mean the most successful and wealthy society the planet has ever known, then you are absolutely correct. That attitude may not the prettiest thing, but I'll be damned if it hasn't been effective. And today's youth won't change that either. It's human nature.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I'm not saying that it isn't. Only that when push comes to shove, respect and integrity mean less than the bottom line does.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneErik

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
All in the eye of the beholder. Every generation looks at in different. In my fathers day, a paper with his signature and a handshake was good enough for the bank. Now......25 to 30 pages of disclaimers. You think it's going back to one page contract and a handshake anytime soon?

As for your statement on younger people valuing relationships with fewer "screw you" types and younger people falling into only two types, well...........two words........Colin Kaepernick. Mr. screw you if you don't like it....I don't care how many bridges I burn...I am loyal to nothing. That's this generation. Life isn't getting a trophy everyday just for waking up.

Just to be difficult and accurate, that's only partially true, and is also the same complaint made in Europe hundreds of years ago when paper became a prevalent means of communications. They bemoaned over and over that face-to-face relationships would be lost, social understandings would fall apart, and society would collapse, all because people clarified things on paper.