Interviewing job candidates - that's a new one

Spam

May 21, 2008
I've had a boss tell me to highlight the negatives of an employee for whom I was acting as a reference- because the boss did not want to lose that employee.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
I'm a recruiter and I've have multiple occasions when a reference told me to call them back if original candidate does not get the job. I've also had references give me some pretty negative info on candidates but have never had one pulled what OP mentioned (yet).

I hate the whole references thing. So nice when your HR dept learns you are interviewing.

• Agree
Reactions: brett108

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
I've had a boss tell me to highlight the negatives of an employee for whom I was acting as a reference- because the boss did not want to lose that employee.

We are not allowed to say anything for references, we have to refer to HR, which just gives them employment dates. You don't want to open yourselves up to lawsuits by saying anything that could be considered an opinion.

bringmagicback

Dec 3, 2009
CF Resident Dog Lover
Has nothing to do with OP but reminds me of a guy I heard of that put Terry Branstad as a reference on every job app, never got called on it because nobody went to the trouble of trying to contact him.

bringmagicback

Dec 3, 2009
CF Resident Dog Lover
Buddy used me as a reference for something to do with the FBI (army ranger, john jay major etc) without telling me. Get phone calls and thought I was being interrogated by the FBI about my friend for some reason. didnt go well. Step 1: if you use someone as a reference, tell them.

• Agree
Reactions: besserheimerphat