Interviewing job candidates - that's a new one

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
One of my peers is hiring for a tech position. He narrowed the pool, held some interviews and had a candidate he was seriously interested in. He called the references that person had listed.

One of the references answered the first few questions, then said something to the effect of "so and so is a good candidate, and I would also like to be considered for the position". He then told my co-worker why he was a better candidate, he should be hired instead, and asked if he could apply directly with my co-worker instead of filling out the application online.

Good stuff.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
I hate to interrupt, but, I would also like to apply for the position. I work at a huge M2M technology manufacturer, so I can guarantee I'll be a better more qualified candidate.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
One of my peers is hiring for a tech position. He narrowed the pool, held some interviews and had a candidate he was seriously interested in. He called the references that person had listed.

One of the references answered the first few questions, then said something to the effect of "so and so is a good candidate, and I would also like to be considered for the position". He then told my co-worker why he was a better candidate, he should be hired instead, and asked if he could apply directly with my co-worker instead of filling out the application online.

Good stuff.

I've done plenty of interviews and follow-ups. Never seen that happen before. Wow.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
That was a missed opportunity to get the original applicant on the phone at the same time and have him listen in.

Reactions: wxman1

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
I'm a recruiter and I've have multiple occasions when a reference told me to call them back if original candidate does not get the job. I've also had references give me some pretty negative info on candidates but have never had one pulled what OP mentioned (yet).

andybernard

Oct 22, 2009

Good stuff.

So was anyone hired? If not, I'd like to put my name in the hat. Although they would both be fine for the job, I would be better because back in my heydey, I would kill Michael Jordan one-on-one. I would just back him in and lift him off the ground and call a foul every time he fouls me when I do a jump hook to the right or the left. He cannot stop me one-on-one. He better make every shot 'cause he can't go around me. He's not fast enough. And he can only make so many shots outside before I make every bucket under the rim.

• Funny
Reactions: Pat and wxman1

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Did it work? Some companies encourage 'champions' putting footprints on other people's back.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I'm a recruiter and I've have multiple occasions when a reference told me to call them back if original candidate does not get the job. I've also had references give me some pretty negative info on candidates but have never had one pulled what OP mentioned (yet).
I've always been told you don't give any information outside of yes they worked here. Too many opportunities to get sued by either party.

• Agree
Reactions: isufbcurt

algonacy

Feb 19, 2012
Iowa
My brother-in-law owns a body shop and just called a reference looking to get background on a potential new hire. The guy gave a really good reference. By the time my b-i-l got around to checking other stuff and calling the candidate back, the first reference guy had already called him and make him a job offer which he accepted.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron