Ian Parker at?

cloneraslin

Apr 11, 2006
Anyone know what Parker's walking around weight is? With having Simmons & Gomez at 133 I was wondering if he could make 125?

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Fully expect Gomez to be at 125. He went up simply to wrestle better competition this year. Regardless I expect Vega to be the front runner for that weight next year.

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
If Gomez is able to wrestle 125, I expect him to be clearly better than Vega. Whether that means he starts or redshirts is another question.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I heard Storr say that it is more likely that Parker moves up to 141 if he doesn't get 133 spot and battle with Kanen

• Agree
Reactions: matclone

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Fully expect Gomez to be at 125. He went up simply to wrestle better competition this year. Regardless I expect Vega to be the front runner for that weight next year.
Vega was a top 50 guy and is a career 125 pounder. I think he will be far better at that weight than you give him credit for. He was a dominant wrestler nationally in HS. I know its easy to forget about guys but he was a key recruiting piece last year and he and Gomez will maximize each others ability. I think our lighter weights should be trending up the next two years.

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
Vega was a top 50 guy and is a career 125 pounder. I think he will be far better at that weight than you give him credit for. He was a dominant wrestler nationally in HS. I know its easy to forget about guys but he was a key recruiting piece last year and he and Gomez will maximize each others ability. I think our lighter weights should be trending up the next two years.
I know he was a solid recruit, but his redshirt year was not indicative of a guy who will be making much noise at a national level next year. I expect Gomez to be a guy who right away is extremely competitive at a high level. Maybe not an AA, but NQ and too 20 guy if he's a 125. Haven't seen Vega prove he's close to that yet in college.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Agree, I think you redshirt Gomez, barring any unforeseen things at 125/133.
125 - Vega all 4 years
133 - Simmons, Parker
141 - Storr, maybe eventually 149
149 - Leisure (I think he will excel under Dresser). Maybe eventually 157 if Storr moves up
157 - Verkleeren, if not Leisure. Always have Baptista around also

Also have DiBlasi, Breitenbach, and hopefully Straw is back. All good kids that seem to work hard and will thrive under Dresser.

If we can get Colbray, Harrington and Gremmel to step up, we could be okay next year.

• Agree
Reactions: HGoat and csteve

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I know he was a solid recruit, but his redshirt year was not indicative of a guy who will be making much noise at a national level next year. I expect Gomez to be a guy who right away is extremely competitive at a high level. Maybe not an AA, but NQ and too 20 guy if he's a 125. Haven't seen Vega prove he's close to that yet in college.

Vega did MD Larson, who was a NCAA qualifier last year. I think being a year old and maybe getting a little bigger, he will make improvement and expect him to be at NCAA next year.

• Agree
Reactions: csteve and brett108

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Agree, I think you redshirt Gomez, barring any unforeseen things at 125/133.
125 - Vega all 4 years
133 - Simmons, Parker
141 - Storr, maybe eventually 149
149 - Leisure (I think he will excel under Dresser). Maybe eventually 157 if Storr moves up
157 - Verkleeren, if not Leisure. Always have Baptista around also

Also have DiBlasi, Breitenbach, and hopefully Straw is back. All good kids that seem to work hard and will thrive under Dresser.

If we can get Colbray, Harrington and Gremmel to step up, we could be okay next year.
Colbray I am almost sure will be ready to do bigger things next season. Gremmel could be with the proper tutelage. Based on Ty Walz's performances I think we will have the teacher in place, as long as Gannon buys in. An elite WO partner in Colbray will only help Harrington, so I think those weights can shore themselves if the guys stay healthy.

If Verkleeren is here next season, Dresser will have some great quality to work with. I would still really like to see Ethan Smith back in the fold. What's the word there?

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Gomez is the better recruit but he is not Spencer Lee. I think Gomez could use the RS year, and he and Vega can push each other. If Gomez develops into a 133 pounder I think the team would be better for it. In two years you might have 3 AA contenders at 125,133, and 141 with Veg, Gomez, and Storr. And that's with pretty low expectations. Dresser got McFadden to AA as a freshman, so I am not putting anything past him with this team.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
The one thing we don't know about is what will VT recruits do?
Until VT job is filled, we might not know.
Cole Manley is the 11th ranked 132 pounder
John Bolen is 4th ranked 160 pounder
Mekhi Lewis is 5th ranked 160 pounder
John Borst is 4th ranked 195 pounder that is listed as a 184/197 pounder in college
All are seniors

Then Mitch Moore is the 3rd ranked 132 pounder and a junior and add in that his brother (Brent) is a freshman at around 141 for VT and redshirting

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Ethan Smith verballed to Ohio State.
That stinks.
John Borst is 4th ranked 195 pounder that is listed as a 184/197 pounder in college
All are seniors

Then Mitch Moore is the 3rd ranked 132 pounder and a junior and add in that his brother (Brent) is a freshman at around 141 for VT and redshirting
A lot of those guys are Virginia guys and know each other, so it may be tough to pry them away from VT, especially since I expect them to promote Robie. I think Borst could be excellent and is already a very big 184 pounder and could fill a large gap there. Of all these I think Mekhi Lewis would be the most likely to come as he doesn't have the local connections that all the others do. He would also be right in the needed weights wheel house. I am just spitballing at this point though.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Same here. I don't know the connections that the assistants have with individual wrestlers vs Dresser.

I would think Robie would be the one that holds it together. Heard Zadick applied also, but think if he gets it some will defect.

RossIAwrestle

Mar 27, 2014
All are seniors

Manley is tied to Robie

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
Gomez is the better recruit but he is not Spencer Lee. I think Gomez could use the RS year, and he and Vega can push each other. If Gomez develops into a 133 pounder I think the team would be better for it. In two years you might have 3 AA contenders at 125,133, and 141 with Veg, Gomez, and Storr. And that's with pretty low expectations. Dresser got McFadden to AA as a freshman, so I am not putting anything past him with this team.
Agree to disagree. I think Gomez is significantly better than Vega, and if he is not beating him next year I will be very disappointed. We shall see. The win over a teammate means next to nothing.

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
What was Vega's record? Good wins/bad losses? Based on the little I saw on Twitter and Youtube here and there I was under the impression he had a decent year. Not arguing what to expect from him one way or another just curious.

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
What was Vega's record? Good wins/bad losses? Based on the little I saw on Twitter and Youtube here and there I was under the impression he had a decent year. Not arguing what to expect from him one way or another just curious.

You can check his Track profile. He had 7 losses. Some to good wrestlers like NQ Freddie Rodriguez (pinned) and Ethan Lizek (teched 17-0) but also lost to guys like Jake Schwarm by pin.

To be fair, he is small. Maybe he's not a 4 time AA type but I'm not ready to judge him until he gets bigger and stronger.

• Agree
Reactions: csteve

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Agree to disagree. I think Gomez is significantly better than Vega, and if he is not beating him next year I will be very disappointed. We shall see. The win over a teammate means next to nothing.
The previous staff really struggled to develop the lower weights. Larson basically stood still his entire career, and Vega will have plenty of time to get better. I agree with Gomez being better than Vega but I still think you try and RS Gomez and let Vega go at 125 with Gomez beating on him in practice and hopefully Simmons at 133. I think that's a workable lineup. Gomez should be able to compete with the CWC like Storr did and get in some good matches. We shall see what happens.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
The previous staff really struggled to develop the lower weights. Larson basically stood still his entire career, and Vega will have plenty of time to get better. I agree with Gomez being better than Vega but I still think you try and RS Gomez and let Vega go at 125 with Gomez beating on him in practice and hopefully Simmons at 133. I think that's a workable lineup. Gomez should be able to compete with the CWC like Storr did and get in some good matches. We shall see what happens.

Redshirting gomez also keepssimmons in the lineup most likely. Will also help bridge the gap for the recruiting year being a little lighter due to coaching change.