Why ESPN is Failing

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
ESPN got involved in the race issues last summer by having Obama on a couple of times, and also with the speeches by the NBA players at the start of the ESPYs. I could see that bothering people.

I doubt the Schilling firing did much damage because both conservatives and liberals realize Schilling is a moron.

Civil Rights are a Liberal position?

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
I think the point is - it ain't sports. There are heap many places to go for that if you want it. Most people tuning into ESPN aren't tuning in for that.

I can see that, but sometimes certain stories that are sports related are bigger news than scores. A great example of this was the National Anthem story last year. Not a game highlight, but news for sure.

The actual problem is that these racial issues are turned political by the intolerant less Liberal among us. Obama could have come on ESPN and said that the sky was blue and a group of people would have hated it.

Reactions: Rural and skibumspe

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Weather Channel is also dying because technology passed them by. Who waits for the weather on the 8s now? Smart phone app gives me everything right now.

F-ESPN

Not to mention every other segment on TWC seems to be about climate change. Yes, climate change is happening. Maybe humans are contributing to it, maybe they aren't. But I didn't turn the channel to TWC to hear today's lecture about climate change, I came to get the weather. And, as the post I quoted said, I already have 2-3 apps and several websites I can turn to where I can get LOCAL weather instantly.

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
I used to love sports center, but they really have very little baseball, NHL, and NASCAR content. In addition to this, ESPN is way too political. All I want is to simply see sports highlights and they attempt to add politics into it.

• Agree
Reactions: IowaState1173

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I understand the frustration about ESPN and its pushing of political views. It's the same frustration many members of this site have with the large number of political threads visible on the front page, especially if they are unable to block the political threads. People are turning in for sports coverage, not political lectures.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
I understand the frustration about ESPN and its pushing of political views. It's the same frustration many members of this site have with the large number of political threads visible on the front page, especially if they are unable to block the political threads. People are turning in for sports coverage, not political lectures.
For like the thousandth time you can opt out of politics.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
We were getting our scores from CNN Headline News at :50 after the hour. Van Earl Wright was the man!
Headline News. There's another channel I used to love that has gone to ****. If I wasn't watching ESPN, I had Headline News running in the background while I did other stuff around the house. I loved their format.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Didn't expect this to turn in to a cave thread...

This had cave written all over it.

Somehow ESPN is seen as a liberal rag in certain circles.

Everything has a political tone now. Coffee you drink, car you drive, music you listen to, sports outlet, etc.....all somehow make a political statement now

• Winner
Reactions: Macloney

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I think the point is - it ain't sports. There are heap many places to go for that if you want it. Most people tuning into ESPN aren't tuning in for that.

Yeah, I think a lot of it is that. Sports are an escape for people, and right or wrong, even liberals like myself want an escape from the culture wars sometimes.

• Agree
Reactions: IowaState1173

IowaState1173

Mar 14, 2017
right, and one of those reasons doesn't make any damned sense. Or do you no longer see a dentist because the last dentist you had was a liberal? You've stopped reading any newspapers because the Register printed a column you didn't like. You can't even watch the news anymore because that one guy on that one station is a complete leftist hippie.

Its more like people don't go to the dentist to get a lecture on politics. People look to sports as an escape from politics and real world problems. That's why when ESPN incorporates political opinion in their shows more frequently it turns people away.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Its more like people don't go to the dentist to get a lecture on politics. People look to sports as an escape from politics and real world problems. That's why when ESPN incorporates political opinion in their shows more frequently it turns people away.

You don't understand. It would make sense if your dentist talked politics and you didn't like it, to go find another dentist. It would not make sense for you to no longer see any dentists.

So to try to put it more clearly, if viewers were turned off by the politics, they'd switch to fox sports or another competitor, they wouldn't just drop their entire cable package (which would not only make them drop ESPN but all their other channels as well).

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
One reason I use Cyclone Fanatic more than I did probably 6-12 months ago is because they make it possible to leave the political BS and infighting out of my feed.

Everybody has political ideas, but I don't come here to read them. So its nice I pretty much never have to.

I would consume many other forms of media if they followed that basic idea, but they are increasingly hard to find.