Why ESPN is Failing

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
I gave two reason. Cutting the cable AND perceived political bend. I meant those to be two mutually exclusive reasons.

right, and one of those reasons doesn't make any damned sense. Or do you no longer see a dentist because the last dentist you had was a liberal? You've stopped reading any newspapers because the Register printed a column you didn't like. You can't even watch the news anymore because that one guy on that one station is a complete leftist hippie.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
ESPN is failing, because it's a model, based on pre-internet entertainment. Ever since the advent of broadband internet, I've only watched ESPN if a game was on there I wanted to see live. Through the internet, I get to see all the highlights I could possibly need to see, without having to wade through the loudmouths act like they are more important as the sport or sit through half a show of baseball, NBA and soccer highlights I don't care about at all. I think the last time I watched ESPN for anything that wasn't an actual game, was 2011 when ISU beat OK St. in football. Add that to the fact that they way overestimated the value of college football and they were doomed to fail eventually.

tjh1984

Feb 11, 2009
New Orleans
The new Sports Center is absolute garbage. SC 6 or whatever they are calling it. Jemele Hill is the worst. I've been watching less and less ESPN every year it seems like. I miss the old Van Pelt show on ESPN News in the mornings and Colin's show. I found them really good.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I've never been a huge watcher of ESPN, even in my younger years. But I watch less and less of it than I used to. In fact now only for games that are on ESPN. Never any of their "shows."

But it's weird, because these threads always have 99% of responses saying how they don't watch. But it's kinda like the Kardashians, somebody must be watching or the shows wouldn't be on anymore.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
But it's weird, because these threads always have 99% of responses saying how they don't watch. But it's kinda like the Kardashians, somebody must be watching or the shows wouldn't be on anymore.

Yeah, I personally hate all the opinion/people yelling at each other shows but obviously people are watching them otherwise they wouldn't be cancelling everything else in favor of that type of show.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
A bubble is guaranteed to burst for all of televised sports when the smart financial payday move for a conference with sports brands like Michigan and Ohio State is to add brands like Rutgers.
So much this. The B1G model of conference expansion was entirely predicated on uninterested eyeballs still subscribing to cable TV and giving ESPN their carriage fees. This model hurt teams like ISU, with dedicated fan followings that don't dictate a large amount of TV market. The bust will hurt the financials of every college team, but ISU will likely come out of it better than most of the teams relying on TV markets that don't even know they exist.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Yeah, I personally hate all the opinion/people yelling at each other shows but obviously people are watching them otherwise they wouldn't be cancelling everything else in favor of that type of show.
Well, in ESPNs defense those shows require on air "talent" that is already under contract and nothing else..

"Type something, would ya, were paying for this stuff." Venkman-style of thinking.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
right, and one of those reasons doesn't make any damned sense. Or do you no longer see a dentist because the last dentist you had was a liberal? You've stopped reading any newspapers because the Register printed a column you didn't like. You can't even watch the news anymore because that one guy on that one station is a complete leftist hippie.

Oppressed snowflakes.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Do you have any examples of the political leanings? I haven't watched ESPN a ton so I'm sure I missed it.

ESPN got involved in the race issues last summer by having Obama on a couple of times, and also with the speeches by the NBA players at the start of the ESPYs. I could see that bothering people.

I doubt the Schilling firing did much damage because both conservatives and liberals realize Schilling is a moron.

• Informative
Reactions: cyhiphopp

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX

I would suggest they are doing it because it is cheap programming (which is what ESPN can afford now). Throw a few people in a studio and have them ad-lib for awhile. No writers, minimal production and travel costs, minimal first costs. When the "panel" (or whatever the hec they are called) want too much money, ESPN can fire them, because it is not too difficult to find people who will yell on camera for less money. The people who are interested in that kind of programming probably don't really care who is doing the yelling.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Do you have any examples of the political leanings? I haven't watched ESPN a ton so I'm sure I missed it.
Not any actually persuasive ones unless he's found new ones since the last time he took this stupid position.

Reactions: Macloney

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Never really watched much ESPN except games. I remember near it's beginning it was pretty much the Big East and little more for college hoops. I used to call it Eastern Sports Programming Network.

I kind of don't understand why they decided to start including European soccer scores in the bottom banner. Does anyone in America save a few recent immigrants care about that? Or do they now carry some of those games? (I honestly don't know.)

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
ESPN is garbage. I can remember a time where I'd rarely turn anything else on. Now, unless it's coverage of an event I want to watch, I avoid it at all costs.

The other day I was at a restaurant from about 3:00 to 5:00. The TV next to me had ESPN on and while I couldn't hear it, all the shows had a bar on the side setting forth the topics being discussed. It was literally 3 different shows of them talking about the exact same thing.

I don't avoid ESPN at all costs, but when it comes to ESPN my BS meter is extremely sensitive and maxes out very quickly. However, I find at nights when I have it on I sleep like a baby.