Milwaukee beer questions

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
  1. Will beer be sold in the arena for the games? Not sure how that works with this being an NCAA event.
  2. What breweries are good for touring / tasting ?
  3. What bars close to arena should I stop in at before games? I see ISU Alumni Association is hosting a pep rally at a few places

delt4cy

May 11, 2006
Atlanta, GA
1. I don't believe Beer is sold, unless you have suite. -Wasn't in Chicago at the Sweet 16 last year from my memory.

2. Don't do Miller. The two best tour options are Lakefront Brewery and Milwaukee Brewing Company. Great local/regional breweries and fun tours. Miller is ok, but very sanitized tour.

- I actually own a Distillery attached to the Milwaukee Brewing Company and we'll be hosting Cyclone fans Thursday and holding a big event Friday, hoping we win of course. We have tours and tastings as well. Central Standard Craft Distillery www.thecentralstandard.com

3. Bars by the stadium. McGillicuddys is a little bro douche, ok, bet eh. Was a go to spot when I was 22. RedRock is a good country bar and that's where my group will probably head given the ISU AA tweet. You're all more than welcome to come by the Distillery at 613 S 2nd Street. About 1 mile south of Stadium in a cool neighborhood. We'll have drink specials for Cyclone fans all weekend.

Better bars by stadium are:

1. Buck Bradley's right by the stadium. Classic Marquette pre-bar
2. Definitely stop in at the Old German Beer Hall for a Liter - classic German Milwaukee
3. Trinity and the Harp just east of the river are huge big bars too. Will be a circus on Friday-

Hoping the clones get out of Thursday, Friday is St. Patrick's Day and the bars in Milwaukee will be wild!

Looking forward to seeing Cyclones in Milwaukee!

delt4cy

May 11, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I've heard that Lakefront does one of the best beer tours, period.

Their Fixed Gear is my favorite hoppy red.

Lakefront is solid. They used to have the best tour no question. They grew significantly and have tapered back on the fun and beer poured. Still very cool and I would recommend it. Tickets sell out fast and with all the schools in this weekend will definitely be a hot ticket.

If you want lots of pours and a better atmosphere imo, do the MKE tour. Or you could do both-

I'm working with the MKE owner to hold tickets for Cyclones and we're having a joint event on Friday. Will have details soon-

• Winner
Reactions: NWICY and Messi

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
@delt4cy thank you so much for the info! Excited to see what details you have for the event Friday.

Going to need some food to soak up all this beer. What places would you recommend?

WISCY1895

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 25, 2009
Third Ward is a great place to hang out for both eating and drinking just south of downtown. I'm a big fan of the burgers and bloodys at Cafe Benelux.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
I'd suggest doing a visit to Sprecher. Free beer for you, free sodas for wife and kids. :)

Be sure to get some New Glarus in before you leave WI

Swingin Door is my favorite downtown bar

And please God don't go to the touristy Safehouse.

WISCY1895

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 25, 2009
Ale Asylum has a brew pub downtown as well. One of my favorite Wisconsin breweries.

Reactions: mfelske

Jacktronic

MONDAYTUESDAYWEDNESDAYTHURSDAYFRIDAYSATURDAYSUNDAY
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 16, 2013
Kansas City, MO
Did the Lakefront tour a few years ago, one of the best I've been on. Highly recommended.

Ate at the Palomino bar while there as well, excellent fried chicken. http://palominobar.com

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Lakefront is solid. They used to have the best tour no question. They grew significantly and have tapered back on the fun and beer poured. Still very cool and I would recommend it. Tickets sell out fast and with all the schools in this weekend will definitely be a hot ticket.

If you want lots of pours and a better atmosphere imo, do the MKE tour. Or you could do both-

I'm working with the MKE owner to hold tickets for Cyclones and we're having a joint event on Friday. Will have details soon-

Delt, this question is not meant to be mean but just safe, if you are at the 2 bars ISU is suggesting, and walk over to the Bradley center for our session, will it be ok to walk back after our game? I know there are no guarantees but I mean just generally. TIA.

delt4cy

May 11, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Delt, this question is not meant to be mean but just safe, if you are at the 2 bars ISU is suggesting, and walk over to the Bradley center for our session, will it be ok to walk back after our game? I know there are no guarantees but I mean just generally. TIA.

Yes. Downtown and anywhere south/east side is very safe with lots of foot traffic. People park and walk from these areas to Bucks/Marquette games nightly. Downtown and Third Ward areas are very well kept, clean, and safe.

Generally speaking, the areas that I would not want my wife walking alone would be anywhere west of I 43 (N/S) and anywhere north of I-94 (E/W). I have a little bro in the local Big Brothers program and there are areas in that ~10/15 mile quadrant that are as bad as anywhere in Chicago.

• Informative
Reactions: Messi and NWICY