Why ESPN is Failing

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
ESPN is doing their 24 hour special on the NCAA tournament right now and First Take is supposed to be doing it. They've been talking about Ezekiel Elliot pulling down some woman's shirt at a St Patrick's Day parade. The woman didn't even care. Why can they not talk about anything other than Pro sports specifically the NFL?

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
ESPN is doing their 24 hour special on the NCAA tournament right now and First Take is supposed to be doing it. They've been talking about Ezekiel Elliot pulling down some woman's shirt at a St Patrick's Day parade. The woman didn't even care. Why can they not talk about anything other than Pro sports specifically the NFL?
Pro sports, specifically football = money

• Agree
Reactions: MeowingCows

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

It looked to me like she cared. Really, it doesn't matter. Unless she explicitly told him to do it, it was wrong.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
ESPN is garbage. I can remember a time where I'd rarely turn anything else on. Now, unless it's coverage of an event I want to watch, I avoid it at all costs.

The other day I was at a restaurant from about 3:00 to 5:00. The TV next to me had ESPN on and while I couldn't hear it, all the shows had a bar on the side setting forth the topics being discussed. It was literally 3 different shows of them talking about the exact same thing.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
It looked to me like she cared. Really, it doesn't matter. Unless she explicitly told him to do it, it was wrong.
That isn't really the point, but I was just going off what they said that she said afterwords she didn't care. But again the specifics of whatever Elliot did aren't important. This week is for basketball. There's no excuse for as much NFL that's been on.

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
The bubble will burst soon. That NBA contract is going to be the dagger for them. $15Billion over 10 years. When there are players you never heard of making $10-20MM / year - you know something wrong is happening. Funny how they cry all day because the "stars" all sat out the Saturday night prime time game.

I hope they start the layoffs with Mike and Mike and got right to Dan Lebtard next.

Bad news will be for college sports - the TV contracts are not going to grow and they may come backwards. For schools that are financing expansions based on growing revenue will be in a ton of hurt.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Here's a link to a Deadspin article (which was taken from a Sports Illustrated report) from March 6 that said ESPN is going to announce layoffs in the coming weeks/months and a majority of the cuts will be talent in front of the camera.

http://deadspin.com/here-come-big-espn-layoffs-1793002796

The most immediate causes of the layoffs are clear. Over the last several years rights fees have skyrocketed, with ESPN now paying over $3.3 billion annually just to broadcast the NFL and NBA. Simultaneously, ESPN’s subscriber count and viewership—the fabled dual revenue stream that has made it the most envied television company in the country—have tumbled. While the loss of 12 million subscribers over five years is mostly due to generalized cord cutting, and not subscribers specifically dropping ESPN, it doesn’t really matter: It still amounts to losing almost a billion dollars annually. The status quo is unsustainable, and with rights fees already locked in for several years, salaries are one of the biggest areas available to cut expenses.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
Interesting spots coverage is hard to find. I enjoy the Gameday experiences of college sports, but that is about it anymore. Gone are the days where you watched the ESPN ticker to get your news.

• Agree
Reactions: matclone

Bryce7

May 4, 2016
The 3 amigos, Mike and Mike, and Stephen and whoever does not interest me much. Sports Center is okay.

HGoat

Dec 18, 2014
Denver, Colorado
Yeah ESPN is not what it used to be.

That "ESPN 6" show with Jamele Hill and Michael Smith is... not good. Basically just those two going over talking points which are not even related to sports. It is unwatchable. Much prefer they just show highlights of the days sports games.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
C62xQ6wWkAA2ByZ.jpg

I think I may have just found a new Avatar

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
1st take is a joke. A good first round of budget cuts for ESPN should include terminating Stephen A's contract and removing that incoherent rant fest about completely irrelevant things from the air.
I haven't listened to the dude much but I have heard enough to know that the minute they can him he will be in the media and a probable lawsuit contending that it was entirely racially motivated.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
The Sports Bubble is hurting ESPN, a lot, but one of the big factors in their demise is the death of SportsCenter. No one needs ESPN to give them highlights any more. You get them instantly off of twitter and other social media. And while that was never making them tons of money, it attracted talent to the network and made loyal fans everywhere. I remember when I was in college, my roommates and I would try and watch SC every night during football and basketball season. It was appointment TV. Now it's the same clips you see everywhere and ESPN has to insert sports "highlights" from games that ESPN networks carry just to pimp themselves.

Add in the cost of carrying sports programming going through the roof and ESPN is pretty much doomed.

Now the only thing they have to offer are discussion shows which only get attention when Stephen A or some other personality blows up and says something ridiculous.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
People still watch ESPN outside of live sports??

I pretty much never watched their talking head shows and mostly quite Sports Center years ago. It's all just pro sports fan and franchise sucking up with a liberal sprinkling of fake outrage and conflict between a couple of jackass "personalities". Occasionally have it on as background noise waiting for my team highlights but it's generally not worth the wait when you can go grab it online.

The only exception I find is some of their in studio baseball stuff where they grab a bat and ball and explain some things but that's from guys who actually have some baseball knowledge and aren't just acting like asshats.

Reactions: CyGuy5