Ladies Are a 9

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Interesting that they put the two teams that played in the National Championship game in the same pod. UConn beat Syracuse 82-51 in the championship game last year.

Drake is a 10 because their schedule and the Valley outside of UNI was AWFUL! The highest RPI in the Valley outside Drake and UNI is 166. Drake has zero top 50 wins and of their 6 top 100 wins 3 were against UNI (52), vs Iowa (64), NIU (75) & Wyoming (99). Even though they won a lot of games it was not good competition. UNI getting in at all is more of a head scratcher, let alone being a 10 seed.
UNI was a surprise team in the tournament - no one had them in. So if the committee thought enough of the MVC that they put two teams in, it seems ridiculous that the undefeated and tourney champs, who won the league by 3 games, and beat UNI three times, is the same seed at #10. Bizarre.

• Agree
Reactions: gizzsdad and NWICY

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I think he will be ready for us, if he has as good a memory as his fans. I was in an elevator on a cruise ship wearing an ISU ball cap when a lady came in wearing a UConn Women's Basketball sweatshirt. I looked at her and asked if she followed women's basketball. She stared at me and said "I know who Iowa State is". We had no further conversation.

That was a fun game in Cincinnati:). Too bad Georgia had those twins to beat us in the next game.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Alexis Jones practiced with the team before the WV game and said her knee felt good enough to play. Coaches held her out for the NCAA tourney. Whether that was wise or not I don't know. If she comes back healthy and isn't rusty as so often is the case with injured ones, BU has as good of a chance as anyone to beat UConn. But better yet ,why don't the Sisters just take care of them for the rest of the field. That oughta make ten minutes worth of news on ESPN.

Good luck in the tourney Gee. Both teams until they would bump into us;).

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
UNI was a surprise team in the tournament - no one had them in. So if the committee thought enough of the MVC that they put two teams in, it seems ridiculous that the undefeated and tourney champs, who won the league by 3 games, and beat UNI three times, is the same seed at #10. Bizarre.

Getting notice and commented on at ESPN:

Drake vs. Northern Iowa: If regular-season performance within league play did matter, it's difficult to rationalize the committee's decision to have Northern Iowa and Drake both on the No. 10 line. UNI's inclusion in the field over a team like Virginia was puzzling enough, but if the committee considered the Missouri Valley Conference -- as the 16th-rated RPI conference -- strong enough for two teams, then the league's unbeaten regular-season and tournament champion deserved a better seed than a No. 10 -- and certainly better than its distant second-place finisher.

Drake finished three games ahead of the Panthers in the Missouri Valley season and beat Northern Iowa three times. It's possible that the Bulldogs were considered the best No. 10 seed and Northern Iowa the worst, but that's still too close for two teams that weren't that close all season. Perhaps the committee was mesmerized by UNI's performance in Sunday's MVC tournament title game, which wasn't decided until overtime. Yes, UNI beat Kansas State and Creighton in the nonconference, but that doesn't make up for the head-to-head or conference discrepancy. "Body of work" has to also include conference play, but it seemed to be forgotten here.

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-...sions-sprinkled-women-ncaa-tournament-bracket

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
And California? WTF, 6-12 in the PAC 12 and lost five of six to finish. Yup, 6-12 and they are in the dance. Totes bull ****. Guess the field is uber weak, maybe they should drop back to 48 teams.

Last edited:

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
And California? WTF, 6-12 in the PAC 12 and lost five of six to finish. Yup, 6-12 and they are in the dance. Totes bull ****. Guess the field is uber weak, maybe they should drop back to 48 teams.

Charlie Creme seemed most upset by this. I can't believe their in either. Noncon played too much in committee this year I think.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
UCONN will most likely be a blood bath, but hey once in awhile there are David and Goliath stories.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
It's really bad for the sport that the Women's NCAA tournament has become the how-far-can-we-advance-before-we-would-lose-to-UCONN Invitational. Historic stuff they are doing, and good for them, but it doesn't make for real captivating games.

Always thought a dominating team at any sport is what kills off interest in it.

gizzsdad

Mar 4, 2009
It's really bad for the sport that the Women's NCAA tournament has become the how-far-can-we-advance-before-we-would-lose-to-UCONN Invitational. Historic stuff they are doing, and good for them, but it doesn't make for real captivating games.

Agreed. There is currently a documentary series on UConn running on HBO. I'd have say watching it has softened me a little on Geno. I don't think there's any question that, as other programs have scrambled to keep up, they have jointly lifted the level of WBB.

I suspect that their dominance will continue until Geno retires, much as when John Wooden retired from UCLA.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames

Cal has no business being in the field of 64. As much as I am a fan of my #2 university's programs, I can't justify their being in after the way they played the second half of their season. They set a school record, starting 13-0, then virtually nothing.

UNI probably shouldn't be there either, honestly. But I DO love the fact that Iowa is the only school from this state to not make it in. So, congrats to Tanya Warren and her group, regardless.

Anymore, the women's tournament is rendered meaningless with UCONN being so dominant. Have had many conversations with people who believe it's GOOD for WBB to have them win every title. My response is always "why?" What's the point of having the tournament if you already know who's going to win? That being said, UCONN did get three games this season that were a margin of 6 points or less (Maryland, Temple (!), and Florida State). Maryland is in their region this year. Maybe Brenda can take them out if she gets a second chance. I haven't watched a title game in several years because there really isn't much of a point to it these days.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
Losing Pat Summit really hurt women's basketball.

While Geno is arguably the best coach, he didn't get to where he is by always playing within the rules in recruiting.

Reactions: mwwbbfan

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Well, I for one love watching UConn play - their effort, precision, teamwork - all levels above the other teams'. Also like watching Oregon State.
Maryland plays thugball - sorry not my style.

• Agree
Reactions: kcdc4isu