Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Weights to watch at Ohio State Tournament
JoshLowe.jpg

Josh Lowe, InterMat High School Analyst
3/8/2017
[email protected]

Division I: 152 pounds

Another weight with three of the nation's top twelve wrestlers, with the added attraction of a potential state champ vs. state champ finals bout. One of the biggest moments of the scholastic wrestling season came the first Saturday of February when No. 4 Jaden Mattox (Central Crossing) made an absolute statement during the Rieman Invitational at Delaware Hayes. He knocked off nationally ranked 145 pound wrestler Dominick Demas (Dublin Coffman) by a 14-5 major decision in the semifinal, before out-lasting No. 5 David Carr (Massillon Perry) in the championship bout. Both Mattox and Carr are juniors with a pair of state finals appearances, Mattox won state last year while Carr has a pair of titles; last year's title for Carr came in another champ-champ showdown when he beat Demas.

In the district final this past Saturday, Mattox upended No. 12 Connor Brady (Olentangy Liberty) by a 1-0 score. This was the second straight year that Mattox beat Brady at the district level, though the previous year at 132 it was in the semifinal round; Brady placed fourth at state last year, but was third at this year's Ironman and (competing at 145) fifth at the Super 32 Challenge. As a result, Mattox and Carr were seeded into opposite half-brackets. Brady is in Carr's half on the basis of finishing second to Mattox in the district tournament, and the draw has made the Brady vs. Carr match a quarterfinal bout on Friday morning.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Sasso moves to finals with 18-3 TF and Verkleeren moves to finals with a 4-3 win in PA state tourney

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
David Carr is in the finals with a 18-8 MD. He has Maddox who has already committed to Ohio State

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Also see Dresser and Gable Steveson recently started following each other on twitter. I know KJ and Gadson and staff have been working on getting Gable to Iowa State for a couple years.

Would like to see Kyven stay on CRTC/CWC and maybe get volunteer coaching position or director of Operations

1. Pinned Tweet
    Gable Steveson‏Verified account @GSteveson 16h16 hours ago

Announcing soon
    1f440.png
    Stay tuned!

30 replies 33 retweets 303 likes

Reactions: csteve

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Also see Dresser and Gable Steveson recently started following each other on twitter. I know KJ and Gadson and staff have been working on getting Gable to Iowa State for a couple years.

Would like to see Kyven stay on CRTC/CWC and maybe get volunteer coaching position or director of Operations

1. Pinned Tweet
    Gable Steveson‏Verified account @GSteveson 16h16 hours ago

Announcing soon
    1f440.png
    Stay tuned!

30 replies 33 retweets 303 likes

Oh Man...make this happen.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
He has been messing around about his commitment for 6 months or so.

I fully expect him to be a gopher, but maybe there is a chance

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
Spencer Lee lost? Would be his first.

Sounds like he hurt his knee several weeks ago and his ACL gave out in the semis. Lost on a controversial last second takedown in the finals tonight. Several pics I've seen on twitter show the clock at 0:00 before he was taken down. Crazy stuff.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Sounds like he hurt his knee several weeks ago and his ACL gave out in the semis. Lost on a controversial last second takedown in the finals tonight. Several pics I've seen on twitter show the clock at 0:00 before he was taken down. Crazy stuff.[/QUOTE

Had a friend mention to me that there was some controversy in his quarters match. A defensive pin that wasn't called? Just what he said.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Looked to me like DeSanto got the takedown. Lee was clearly huurting. But DeSanto was relentless. Good match

• Agree
Reactions: CyGold