Has Bill Self underachieved in the post season at Kansas?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Reactions: CyBobby

HGoat

Dec 18, 2014
Denver, Colorado
A lot of talk about KU losing to lower seeded teams in the tournament... Kindof obvious but when you're a 1-3 seed every single year, chances are you will not play many teams seeded above you. so ofcourse you're going to lose to lower seeds most of the time, unless you win it all. Thats not a detriment to Kansas.

• Winner
Reactions: randomfan44

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
A lot of talk about KU losing to lower seeded teams in the tournament... Kindof obvious but when you're a 1-3 seed every single year, chances are you will not play many teams seeded above you. so ofcourse you're going to lose to lower seeds most of the time, unless you win it all. Thats not a detriment to Kansas.
The flip side is it's not exactly a lot of value-added coaching to take one of the best rosters at a place that historically has one of the best rosters and have them play slightly under seed.

Sorry, but it's a detriment. When you're at a blueblood you're measured by your failures, not your success. Success is rightfully expected.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Hopefully we have our other All American caliber player back for the ncaa tourney. I think he would have helped out there tonight.

Highly likely Jackson's presence could've pushed KU over the top. No way to prove it, but it's logical.

The loss did little damage as far as No. 1 seed (other than pecking-order). KU still gets Tulsa-then-KC placement. Only question mark is if Pac-12 champ supplants Gonzaga as the 4th 1-seed.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Highly likely Jackson's presence could've pushed KU over the top. No way to prove it, but it's logical.

The loss did little damage as far as No. 1 seed (other than pecking-order). KU still gets Tulsa-then-KC placement. Only question mark is if Pac-12 champ supplants Gonzaga as the 4th 1-seed.
Arizona lost to Gonzaga head to head so no chance they will supplant Gonzaga for a #1 seed. Gonzaga has 6 wins against teams ranked RPI #27 or better. UCLA has three, Oregon has two. There aren't enough top tier quality wins remaining in the PAC 12 tourney for either UCLA or Oregon to pass Gonzaga. With Louisville losing, I think the four #1 seeds are set at Nova, Carolina, Kansas and Gonzaga.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Bump. While it was was an Elite 8 run, was it a disappointment or not?

Lot of KU fans killing Bill on Twitter.

Reactions: CyBobby

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I mean, probably, but what are you going to do? He's putting a team that has a legitimate chance to win a title every year, without fail. It's not his fault they didn't shoot well tonight when they've shot well all year. There's just nothing a coach can do about the same shots not going in. Let's say they could go hire someone like Archie Miller before he took the Indiana job. Are you willing to make that trade if you're them? To me, that's nuts. I just think judging anything by a single elimination tournament is the wrong way to go about analyzing a coach, team, or conference.

RoseClone

Oct 18, 2006
I mean, probably, but what are you going to do? He's putting a team that has a legitimate chance to win a title every year, without fail. It's not his fault they didn't shoot well tonight when they've shot well all year. There's just nothing a coach can do about the same shots not going in. Let's say they could go hire someone like Archie Miller before he took the Indiana job. Are you willing to make that trade if you're them? To me, that's nuts. I just think judging anything by a single elimination tournament is the wrong way to go about analyzing a coach, team, or conference.
A lot of people on here equate a poor shooting night to a poorly coached game.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Here's all the times that Coach K lost to a team seeded lower than his Duke team.

2014: (3) Duke loses to (14) Mercer Round of 64
2012: (2) Duke loses to (15) Lehigh Round of 64
2011: (1) Duke loses to (5) Arizona Sweet Sixteen
2009: (2) Duke loses to (3) Nova Sweet Sixteen
2008: (2) Duke loses to (7) West Virginia Round of 32
2007: (6) Duke loses to (11) VCU Round of 32
2006: (1) Duke loses to (4) LSU Sweet Sixteen
2005: (1) Duke loses to (5) Michigan State Sweet Sixteen
2004: (1) Duke loses to (2) UConn Final Four
2002: (1) Duke loses to (5) Indiana Sweet Sixteen
2000: (1) Duke loses to (5) Florida Sweet Sixteen
1998: (1) Duke loses to (2) Kentucky Elite Eight
1997: (2) Duke loses to (10) Providence Round of 32
1996: (8) Duke loses to (9) Eastern Michigan
1993: (3) Duke loses to (6) Cal Round of 32
1989: (2) Duke loses to (3) Seton Hall Final Four
1988: (2) Duke loses to (6) Kansas Final Four
1986: (1) Duke loses to (2) Louisville Title Game
1985: (3) Duke loses to (11) Boston College Round of 32
1984: (3) Duke loses to (6) Washington Round of 32
the_more_you_know2.jpg

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
Yes, I know it sounds crazy, especially with the regular season championship streak.

Joe Lunardi just said Kansas will be a #1 for the 7th time in the last 11 years.
Post season average final result is a Sweet 16.
I know he's a great coach but if they get bounced in the round of 32, does the fan base get a little antsy?

Yeah, uh.... they struggle. AWWWWW.... too bad KU. GO Ducks! Losing a defacto-home game/half hour from their campus is pretty pathetic.

Last edited: