NFL: Free Agency Thread

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Free agency unofficially started on Tuesday with the "legal tampering" window, but free agents can put pen to paper with teams this afternoon.

The leader in the clubhouse for most questionable signing so far has to be Mike Glennon to the Bears for three years and 42 million. I understand that relative to starting QB salaries this is actually a little less than league average and he's just there as a bridge QB. But man, the stink of Osweiler in Houston is still so strong that it's hard not be wary about this deal.

• Agree
Reactions: 3GenClone

CY88CE11

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 25, 2012
The Des
Free agency unofficially started on Tuesday with the "legal tampering" window, but free agents can put pen to paper with teams this afternoon.

The leader in the clubhouse for most questionable signing so far has to be Mike Glennon to the Bears for three years and 42 million. I understand that relative to starting QB salaries this is actually a little less than league average and he's just there as a bridge QB. But man, the stink of Osweiler in Houston is still so strong that it's hard not be wary about this deal.

Mike Glennon had his starting shot and did nothing with it. $14 mil/year is ridiculous for him.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Mike Glennon had his starting shot and did nothing with it. $14 mil/year is ridiculous for him.

To be fair, he played OK on some mediocre Bucs teams. A 2:1 TD to INT ratio is decent, especially for a young QB. And he was sort of a victim of circumstance in that the regime that drafted him got swept out and the new decision makers couldn't pass on Jameis.

That said, it's a lot of money to shell out for a guy without much of a sample size to work with. If he can come in and be a stabilizing force at that spot until whoever the Bears draft is ready to take over, then I suppose it's money well spent. But it's not like they're a QB away from contending. They have holes all over the roster. Why not invest in other spots with that cap space?

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Glennon "only" got 19 million guaranteed over the 3 years so if he isn't that good he will easily be cut.

CY88CE11

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 25, 2012
The Des
To be fair, he played OK on some mediocre Bucs teams. A 2:1 TD to INT ratio is decent, especially for a young QB. And he was sort of a victim of circumstance in that the regime that drafted him got swept out and the new decision makers couldn't pass on Jameis.

That said, it's a lot of money to shell out for a guy without much of a sample size to work with. If he can come in and be a stabilizing force at that spot until whoever the Bears draft is ready to take over, then I suppose it's money well spent. But it's not like they're a QB away from contending. They have holes all over the roster. Why not invest in other spots with that cap space?

But also under 60% completions. Otherwise, I agree.

CY88CE11

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 25, 2012
The Des
Glennon "only" got 19 million guaranteed over the 3 years so if he isn't that good he will easily be cut.

Where are you seeing this? I was going off of 42 mil over 3 years.

AJ Klein signing with the Saints:

*******. Awesome. Dude is good enough to start somewhere. Being behind those two LBs in Carolina is a waste.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Alshon Jeffrey emerging as a FA target for Indy. Interesting, if they can get him at a decent rate. When healthy (which is rare, I know) he's one of the best young receivers in the league.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
According to the 4 letter Kirk Cousins is asking to be traded. Washington has really botched this situation.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18863192/kirk-cousins-requesting-trade-washington-redskins

Win/win for Cousins. Either he gets the hell out of DC or he gets a guaranteed 24 million this season to play for the Redskins and cashes in with another team after. For a guy who's a little above league average IMO, he'll have made a lot of money over two years if he ends up in DC under the franchise tag again.

If you were ranking the NFL starting QBs, where would you put Cousins? Definitely in the top half, but does he even sneak into the top ten?

CY88CE11

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 25, 2012
The Des
Wow. Texans GIVE UP a 2nd round pick to dump Osweiler on the Browns.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Win/win for Cousins. Either he gets the hell out of DC or he gets a guaranteed 24 million this season to play for the Redskins and cashes in with another team after. For a guy who's a little above league average IMO, he'll have made a lot of money over two years if he ends up in DC under the franchise tag again.

If you were ranking the NFL starting QBs, where would you put Cousins? Definitely in the top half, but does he even sneak into the top ten?
He was easily Top Ten last year, and he is younger than all but Taylor, Luck, and Prescott who finishes there in terms of QBR. A lot of those other QBs will be riding off into the sunset soon. Washington gambled and lost on this.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
He was easily Top Ten last year, and he is younger than all but Taylor, Luck, and Prescott who finishes there in terms of QBR. A lot of those other QBs will be riding off into the sunset soon. Washington gambled and lost on this.

Easily? Off the top of my head I'd take before him (in no particular order) - Tom Brady, Aaron Rogers, Matt Ryan, Drew Brees, Cam Newton, Derek Carr, Russell Wilson, and Roethlisberger. That's eight right there, and I don't think you can make a convincing case that Cousins is clearly better than the guys at the next level - Luck, Rivers, Stafford, and Prescott and maybe even Jameis Winston. I'd put him behind Luck and Stafford, and maybe Prescott.

Cousins is fine and better than what the majority of teams have to work with at QB, but I think the Redskins were right to not want to pay him top dollar. Where they screwed up was letting this thing drag out too long. Now they're going to have to either pay him what he wants or watch him walk in free agency after next season for nothing.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron